PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to 10/22 after market

pill bug
06-19-2016, 12:09 PM
I have recently opened the door to the large and somewhat overwhelming world of Ruger 10/22 aftermarket parts and accessories.

The trigger on my 44 year old 10/22 finally gave up the ghost. Its an easy fix. 2 pins. out with the old, in with the new trigger group. Want something better.

The new improved (and cost effective) Ruger factory BX. or maybe the cool (and pricey) long lever mag release Timney with a blue trigger. they come with a choice of colored triggers. also,someone else makes a matching color barrel band.

How about the much loved and highly praised Kidd? The gold standard, but even tougher on the pocket book. and it also comes in a zillion configurations.

The quality and variety of 10/22 after market is wonderful and amazing. But in truth, I sometimes have a hard time in the morning picking out what socks to were. I'm excited by the choices but thinking of what to choose has worn me out. I'm going to take a nap.

farmerjim
06-19-2016, 12:24 PM
A couple of these turned my 10/22 from a 6 in group at 25 feet (yes it was that bad) to a 3/8 in group at 50 yds with (use to be) cheep ammo.

tja6435
06-19-2016, 02:41 PM
I have purchased the trigger and hammer as well as the complete trigger group from Kidd. Fantastic triggers and worth the $. The extended mag releases are handy as well. The bolt from Kidd is more accurate with all ammo over the factory bolt. Some guys will machine your factory bolt and fix it up similar to a new Kidd bolt for around $65. I've had one machined and also bought a new one from Kidd. Haven't done a side by side test on them.
Also, if you like standard or low velocity ammo, Kidd has a recoil spring kit so it'll allow lower speed ammo to work reliably. You can also use heavier springs in the kit for high velocity ammo. I do recommend his guide rod, slicked up one of my rigs very nicely.

GhostHawk
06-19-2016, 10:09 PM
I dipped my toe in that pond a couple of years ago.

Triggers and barrels seemed expensive so I left mine on.

Extended Mag release I dearly love.
Found a small plastic block that lets you mount 2 10 round mag's back to back.

Knuckle hits the lever, mag drops, flip, slip other side home jerk the bolt and ready for action.

Best one was modifying the bolt hold open catch so that you can just jerk the bolt handle and let go and it slams into battery and is ready to fire. No more hunting for that little catch with your eye on something afraid to look away. 5 minutes with a dremel and then 5 minutes cleaning 40 years of gunk and mine is a lean mean sweet running machine.

About that time it got oiled and put away. Why shoot 22lr when you can shoot virtually any centerfire cartridge for about the same price if you cast your own boolits. Granted I don't shoot a lot of full power rounds. But a penny to a penny and a halfs worth of Red Dot makes stuff move, is easy on my shoulder and my pocketbook.

Artful
06-20-2016, 03:23 AM
Yeah, lots to choose from - my 10/22 has had a few things done - barrel swapped out, trigger replaced, bolt radiused and polish, stock changed, bolt hold open lever replaced with a locker and a muffler.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/th_Ruger10-22.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/Ruger10-22.jpg.html)
click to enlarge

What you have to decide is what you want it to do for you.

Mica_Hiebert
06-20-2016, 05:05 AM
I prefer the non extended mag release for the factory 10 Rd mags. I tried the bx trigger in the store and so far I'm not real impressed with it. Maybe it will break in but in the package it doesn't seem to be a huge improvement... I'm still rocking the stock trigger.

osteodoc08
06-20-2016, 07:26 AM
I have recently opened the door to the large and somewhat overwhelming world of Ruger 10/22 aftermarket parts and accessories.

The trigger on my 44 year old 10/22 finally gave up the ghost. Its an easy fix. 2 pins. out with the old, in with the new trigger group. Want something better.

The new improved (and cost effective) Ruger factory BX. or maybe the cool (and pricey) long lever mag release Timney with a blue trigger. they come with a choice of colored triggers. also,someone else makes a matching color barrel band.

How about the much loved and highly praised Kidd? The gold standard, but even tougher on the pocket book. and it also comes in a zillion configurations.

The quality and variety of 10/22 after market is wonderful and amazing. But in truth, I sometimes have a hard time in the morning picking out what socks to were. I'm excited by the choices but thinking of what to choose has worn me out. I'm going to take a nap.

I suggest you check out rimfirecentral and have a look around. You think youre overwhelmed now........the bug has bitten.

Hardcast416taylor
06-20-2016, 12:38 PM
About the only changes I did to my 3rd year made 10/22 were a Volquartson trigger I honed in as directed. An extension mag release to better dig those 10 round mags out. Recoil buffers that I change out usually 1 a year. I added a Choate recoil pad extension for a longer length of pull. I have left the barrel and wood stock as both are in good shape and also because I dislike plastic on any kind of firearm. A decent set of Uncle Mike`s sling swivels.Robert

rugerdude
06-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Be careful, or you may find yourself so far down the rabbit hole you'll never get out!

Markbo
06-26-2016, 08:34 PM
After building 14 custom 10/22s I thought I had finally kicked the habit but bought a Ruger factory trigger group 2 days ago. I am a dinosaur and still prefer doing my own work than pay hard earned money on stuff I can do myself.

Kidd make the best 10/22 triggers, honestly as well as some of the best barrels out there. Feddersen makes some great barrels too. Both ho est 1/4" @ 50yd barrels. For the money you cant beat a Brimstone trigger job. They have 3 levels and their cheapest gives a great 3 to 3.5# pull with no creep.

I dont spend near the time I used to on RFC because like I said I like to do my iwn work. Nowdays whatever part you ask about the answer is always Kidd. Which is fine if you want to spend $1,000+ on a 10/22 but I am not interested and I grew tired of trying to convince people try DIY and evweyone else recommending Kidd. You can guess what most people do.

dkf
06-26-2016, 10:35 PM
I didn't do much to my 10/22 yet. I polished the trigger sear parts, installed shims to take out the excess play and put on a Clark Custom trigger shoe with stop. Those mods actually made a pretty good difference. I made my own rear buffer pin. I added Power Custom titanium extended mag release and extended auto bolt release. I also smoothed up the factory bolt. You can easily mod the stock bolt release to make it release when the bolt is pulled back, I did that before I bought the titanium one. I think next I am going to try one of the new Magpul 10/22 stocks and eventually pick up a better barrel.

Ithaca Gunner
07-02-2016, 04:56 PM
I didn't go "tacticool" with mine, I went classic.

robg
07-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Power custom hammer ,plastic buffer Kidd extended mag release ,modified the bolt release.chopped the forend band bit off ,polished bits and prices put a moderator on it ,1thing I've learnt is you have to clean it a lot more with the mod on.they are fun to just shoot .

tazman
07-02-2016, 05:53 PM
I didn't go "tacticool" with mine, I went classic.

Now that is a pretty rifle. It almost makes me want to go buy one.[smilie=b:

Doc Highwall
07-02-2016, 06:16 PM
I have a Olympic Arms X-Ring which is a blatant copy of the Ruger 10-22 made out of stainless steel and has the scope rail milled as part of the receiver so it will never come loose. I upgraded it with a Kidd trigger and match barrel, and it is mounted into a Magpul X-22 stock. It has a scope that was made by BSA for Midway that is a Mil-Mil 4X-14X-44mm FFP with .1 Mil clicks, and can focus down under 10 yards.

The mounted another one of these scopes onto my Remington 40X chambered in 22Lr. and I have shot it out to 300 yards without holding over, which is as far as my range goes. The glass is clear enough that I am able to see 22Lr. bullet holes in the white at 200 yards with the sun on the face of the target.

nagantguy
07-02-2016, 07:06 PM
As a builder and seller and collector of things 1022 welcome, it's a great design and a heck of a way to have fun without breaking the bank. The one me and my daughter built to her specs was a blast and she has skin in the game and true owner ship and pride in it, even in the pink Tiger stripe campo paint job. Wish I'd kept the ones I'd sold.

edwardware
07-30-2016, 03:58 PM
Love my extended mag release, I did my own trigger work. . . seriously though, if you spend $200 on a trigger you still have a .22 capable of no better than 1 MOA. Spend the $$ on a trigger for something that will shoot 1/4MOA.

jmorris
07-31-2016, 12:06 AM
The 10/22 is the small block Chevy of .22's, if you think you want it someone has it.

There is a lot that can be done with factory parts, I have most of mine modified so I don't have to manipulate the bolt catch, rather just pull it back and it will lower.

My Clark has the tactical solutions mag release but I have also just drilled and tapped the factory part and used a 1/4" socket head cap screw and rounded the end off, one at the top in this photo.

The ones on the current rifles like the take down version, a little lower also work fine.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/IMG_20130516_134706_875-1_zpsef33fe83.jpg

Tactical solutions catch and no fumble bolt catch can be seen in this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ng39ce3Ii_w

JeffG
08-01-2016, 10:37 PM
Personally, I bought the Volquartsen trigger parts, not the complete drop in assembly. I think it was about 40 bucks for the pieces and I am tickled to death with the result.

leveraction 45 colt
08-01-2016, 11:52 PM
well mine is still bone stock I like it just the way it is!! it is synthetic black stock with stainless barrel all factory and I just love they way it looks plus it shoots very well with a scope I have mounted on it! :) squirrel season here I come...

Doc Highwall
08-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Here is a picture of my Olympic Arms X-Ring.

dverna
08-02-2016, 11:44 AM
I have two that have been modified. Both shoot very well but I can shoot .38's out of my lever actions for less than the current cost of .22's. I will not be shooting them much until ammunition costs get reasonable. I have a few thousand rounds of .22 but saving them for if I ever get grandkids.

Markbo
08-03-2016, 12:31 AM
Saving it? For what? .22 ammo is readily available again. Can you reload .38s for 10¢ each? Thats about average for plinking .22 ammo.

Shoot that stuff man!!! :D

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-03-2016, 03:41 PM
yes you can reload 38s for 10 cents if you cast

38 cases last what seems like forever

if I don't count the lead powder is 1.5 cents primer 2.5 the lube and brass are hardly worth concern but call it a penny 5 cents a round and my time

56 boolits to the pound with the 120-125gr if you can get lead for a buck a pound the boolits are a bit under 2 cents each

that said I don't expect to see 22lr for less than 9 cents a round any time soon so buy what you need for at least the next 4 years now

Markbo
08-03-2016, 08:26 PM
Cool. I dont reload .38/.357. Mostly .45s of different flavors. I might have to do some math on 9mm though as I just got one I intend to shoot a lot. Bulk ammo goes about 22¢/round. BTW I still have 4 or 5 cases of .22. ;)

izzyjoe
08-07-2016, 08:04 AM
Ya'll have some nice rifles, I love my 10-22 takedown, but I would like to replace the black synthetic stock for a walnut straight stock version.

buckweet
08-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Awww heck...
Yep.. built several 10/22s..
No Dak spud recivers, majestic arms barrel.
Kidd rear tangs.
Kidd triggers..
Boyds stocks.
On and on . And on..
Great shooters..
THEN !!
i dragged out my old 86' marlin model 60.
Had ArrowDodger put in his Kat trigger.
Add a BKL one piece scope mount.
A luepold 3x9 rimfire scope.
I haven't picked up the rugers since.!!!!

Hammerhead
08-21-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm trying to build a small, lightweight off hand shooter.
I spent $145 on a used 1990's 10/22, $35 on a Volquartsen hammer (best money spent), $28 Hogue overmolded youth stock (on sale, taper channel for stock barrel), and traded a set of .40 s&w dies to 3leggedturtle for a Tasco red dot sight.

Unfortunately my receiver's barrel hole was drilled slightly crooked, as were many, so my barrel rides the left side of the barrel channel in the stock.

It's very frustrating, on one hand it's light and quick and reliable and fun, but OTOH it's a dog at the bench. My CZ Scout makes it look silly at the range, so the 10/22 doesn't get shot that often. it's time to make it into a gun I want to shoot.

Thinking of upgrading to a Kidd receiver to straighten out the gun and a Feddersen 16" taper barrel to minimize size and weight and hopefully improve accuracy.

PerpetualStudent
09-07-2016, 02:02 PM
I'm trying to avoid the build a better 10-22 the same way I avoid the build a perfect AR. Start with a trigger job and before you know it you've doubled the amount of money in the gun.

That said I want to put a peep sight on my take down 10-22 and I hear the siren's song of "well...as long as you're replacing..."

Markbo
09-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Thats how it starts. Next thing you know you're into double digit builds. Im still under 20 so I dont have it that bad. :D

Finster101
09-07-2016, 08:54 PM
I have a deluxe model that I bought in 82. It shot well, I put a drop in trigger group and it shoots great. Next is a threaded barrel for the suppressor. You can't go wrong with them for the buck.

rugerdude
11-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Gotta agree with Markbo. The "KIDD is the best ______" response to almost every question over on Rimfire Central grates my nerves. I also agree with doing things myself. I got the Rimfire Technologies hammer and adjustable sear kit and honed and fit it myself. Very smooth, light and crisp trigger. Reworked and smoothed all of the internals myself as well. Went with E.R. Shaw for my barrel and Boyd's Ross thumbhole stock. Haven't had any reason to complain. My rifle is easily more accurate than I am!