PDA

View Full Version : Values of Tradition Style MLs ???

Drm50
06-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Here in Ohio, when we first got State Wide ML season for deer, the T/C line of Hawken
Renegade, ect, were the top shelf guns. Then market was flooded with imported copies for half the money. Now the trend is for Inlines,powder pellets, and various
fancy bullets. I am constantly wheeling and dealing guns. I don't think a week goes
by without somebody trying to trade me a factory ML. Last week I had a Ruger GP100
I was selling for $350. A guy wanted me to take a Renegade 54 on trade. He got very
huffy when I told him I would give him $150 for it. The pawn shops in this area are
full of these type MLs. There is no market for them. New guys want inlines and the
traditionalists use either handmade or original guns. The imports are worth practically
nothing. Have any of you noticed this trend in your state ?

mooman76
06-19-2016, 06:09 PM
Not here. This ? comes up allot and you see big difference in prices stated for value. Price and demand thing. You very rarely see used ones for sale here and yet there isn't much market for them here because of little interest. If you go on line though to ebay you will see allot of people seem to be parting them out and getting allot of money for them that way. If I saw a cheap one I would probably pick it up just for the parts but I only see a few in gunshows and they want more than they are worth usually. Funny thing is they want just as much or more for the cheaper old Jukars or CVAs as they do the better ones like T/C and such. Not that I don't like the CVAs and Jukars because they are good shooters too if in good shape.

By the way they usually go up in price quite abit just before M/L season starts.

idahoron
06-19-2016, 09:05 PM
A used Renegade or TC Hawken is going to bring 500 here in Idaho. If I find one cheaper I would get one for parts but even the junk is going for at least 300.

SSGOldfart
07-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Drm50 maybe you should pick up a few extras while your local market is flooded,and sell them later down the line,they aren't hard to keep,and being new or near new they won't eat much,who knows you might become our local Dixiegunworks:p

Buckshot Bill
07-07-2016, 11:40 AM
I can usually buy most any sidelock ML I see here for under $150 here, no matter what it is. I just picked up two Kentucky pistols yesterday for $30 each, both are unfired. I collect them because I can buy them cheap and they shoot good. If I do choose to sell I sell them online because that is where the most demand is. You can't hardly give away a sidelock here.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-07-2016, 12:55 PM
a used hawkens here in Southern Wisconsin is 200-300

there is definitely a trade in price vs retail price

with a lot of low cost side locks in good shape out your way I am tempted to go for a drive my 4-H muzzle loading program could use 2-3 more guns. but my budget can't at 200 or more each

10 ga
07-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Here in VA there is little to no market for any replica traditional ML unless it is something different like a 40 or 58 etc... The market for originals, like 100 years or more old or very good handmade copies of originals is good. The replicas are in the $50 to $200 range no matter what they are. Most any show or pawn that has them and they can be had pretty cheap, even Lyman and TC. It is probably even less market for early inline ML slamfires. The only ones that have held value are the White Rifles. Personally I have 4 traditional style replicas and 2 slamfires and they are rarely ever shot, only for teaching and training. The retail racks in the big box stores and LGS usually have 95% current production "inline" and 1 or 2 traditional ML and they are often muskets due to the reenactor demand in this area. Personally I started using a Savage MLII smokeless ML in 2007 and have never looked back to smokers. I have 4 operational SML now and have 2 more in the "project" phase = SML can be a very addictive endeavor. I probably will not liquidate my old rifles as they have personal memories attached and will pass them to my children and grandchildren with the stories they carry.

Right now the best value in older, non original, ML is probably the Remmy 700ML as they are a good platform for the guys building SML. So long as they are in line with price/demand they will move pretty quick, Cost of a CF donor like a rem700, savage, stevens or howa short action keeps the prices from getting to the ridiculous stage on the used 700ML. JMHO. 10

rfd
07-07-2016, 04:50 PM
i don't know or care if the hunters are dropping trad ml's in favor of zip guns these dayze. that's a personal subjective call. i have no clue as to what that trad/zip ratio was years ago and is today. however, with thoughts of the current value of trad ml's, from my vantage point LOTS will initially depend on who made that firearm, then its condition.

the value of current production trad ml's available over the counter today, or in the used bin? like it or not, all have patent breech plugs - to some, that will matter. the spanish stuff (traditions, cva, etc) are bottom feeders that i would no longer even entertain buying for more than a few reasons but mainly due to the welded on breech plugs and cap bolsters. with the italian trad ml's, investarms (lyman and other branded names) is the better buy mainly because you can remove their breech plugs (with good tools and care), whereas pedersoli and a few others can be removed but with the correct special tools and Lots of work. t/c has long been out of the trad m/l game and i've had a few in the past with mixed feelings, to the point where i'd rather have an investarms instead.

so in terms of production gun value, investarms is the clear winner for me IF i needed a budget trad ml. they should, and do, hold their value with those who know. i've had lots of these in the past, and still have one today as a knock-about, or as a guest gun, or for training a newbie. but there is a universe of difference 'tween most any production trad ml and a custom gun maker's trad ml built with top shelf components and expert craftsmanship. to each their own, it's all good one way or another.

RogerDat
07-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Being next door in Mich. I have to wonder if a drive to a Toledo gun show might be worthwhile. There are some ML on my wish list, including an 1863 zouave replica rifle. Prices up here are "ok" but not in the price ranges being described as common in Ohio. Inline are an interesting development but not really where my interests lie.

Buckshot Bill
07-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Here comes the flood of out of staters scouring our flea markets looking for ML's at giveaway prices :D

rfd
07-07-2016, 07:21 PM
Here comes the flood of out of staters scouring our flea markets looking for ML's at giveaway prices :D

they'll more than likely find lotsa junkers and have no clue how bad they are, and be quite happy about the "bargain" they just scored. while one can get a decent to darned good bolt centerfire for peanuts these dayze, trad ml's are a totally dif'rent story, imho.

RogerDat
07-07-2016, 07:38 PM

Well not for a bit, all your upcoming gun shows are too far east or south for me. Maumee has something this fall and Upper Sandusky too. Both a bit of a drive, probably cost more in gas than I would save. Now those fellows from W. Virginia or Penn. you need to watch out for them. Me I'm only a problem if I have an excuse to be going that way.
And yes I went looking to see where and when there were guns shows in Ohio.... what can I say. :p

BPJONES
07-07-2016, 10:52 PM
Where I am, (the great white North), the T/C, Lyman or Investarms type Hawkens will bring $300.00 to $375.00 for decent guns. A Browning Mountain Rifle will bring more. Replicas from the 70's like the Zouaves, Springfields, Mississippi rifle etc. will bring $325.00 to $450.00 depending on maker and condition with Parker Hale models bringing anywhere from $400.00 to $900.00 depending on model.
Of course there are exceptions to any make/model depending on the caliber and condition.

izzyjoe
07-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Around here pawnshops won't even take in sidelock rifles period, cause they set around to long and don't turn a buck for the shop. In lines have taken over, and only dinosaurs like me still hunt with them. T/c rifles in good shape, with a good bore go around 250-300 bucks, and that's if you can find someone that's looking for one. Most times at gunshows one cannot be found, and if you do see one its either rusted junk, or a real cheap made one. I think the good quality sidelock rifles will hold there value, and will for a good bit. I know a fellow that collects t/c Ml's, and he has one of every model they made, he is always on the lookout for the obscure ones.