PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Cast ..Have you ?

Digger
06-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Just a thought here as other threads touch on this particular machine ...

Don't want to set up another poll but , curious as to how may here have and use the " Lee Classic Cast Turret" ?
As I got into reloading with this model to start with and have found out that it has fulfilled all my needs from just the starting out and learning curve to ongoing use all these years very nicely.

The only extra machines that I have acquired since are two Hollywoods , a universal and a senior, both of witch I use in conjunction with the Lee at different times.
Very enjoyable !

We all have different taste but was curious as to how many others use the Classic Cast these days in comparison to others in numbers.
Digger

jmort
06-19-2016, 10:35 AM
I have a fair number of presses, but I use the two Classic Turrets the most.

dragon813gt
06-19-2016, 10:41 AM
I have the LCT as well as the Classic Cast single stage. I use these two presses the most w/ the LCT getting the majority of the duty. I also have a Dillon 550B but it's rarely used because the LCT is a lot quicker to setup since I have turrets for every cartridge.

rugerdude
06-19-2016, 10:59 AM
I have the LCC single stage, a Lee Challenger and an older Lyman Spar-T Turret and I actually use the LCC the most. I'm not usually loading for high volume though. When I do need to crank out a few hundred and don't want to take any more time than I have to, I will use the Lyman. But, some days I use reloading as a kind of therapy as it lets me concentrate and relax, and on those days I'm not in any hurry.

DerekP Houston
06-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I have the value turret from lee, was a gift from my parents to get me into reloading. worked like a champ until i felt like upgrading to a progressive. I still use it for the rounds I haven't bought new shell plates for yet.

PS Paul
06-19-2016, 11:17 AM
LCT is one of mine and I have loaded tens of thousands of trouble-free revolver and pistol rounds with it. I generally use a single-stage for most rifle loading.

Bzcraig
06-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Like you I started with that press and continue to use it the most. I often have thoughts of a Lee progressive but just can't pull the trigger cause the turret does it so well.

DerekP Houston
06-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Like you I started with that press and continue to use it the most. I often have thoughts of a Lee progressive but just can't pull the trigger cause the turret does it so well.

The lee progressive presses are a different beast all together, I passed on them. IMHO the turret press is hands down one of the best products. Especially if you get the flat base and the auto ejector kit from inline fab.

sparky45
06-19-2016, 11:33 AM
I have/had almost all the presses Lee makes. The LCC turret press is one of their best. It's a solid press with excellent tolerances. I have the LL Master (2) and they are set up for volume reloading for .380/9mm and the other for 45acp. The biggest problem with the LLM presses is priming, which has been solved to a great degree. I however still prime off the LLM's and use the extra hole in the turret for a Hornady bullet feeder. The Lee Challenger is dedicated to de-priming. For .223, 30-30, ect. I use my Dillon 650.

OS OK
06-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Why did I choose a Lyman T-Mag II?...."It was the only turret I ever saw...was not informed of all the different manufacturers or their offerings, was not 'on-line' as now...couldn't just 'Googles' it. An old friend had it in it's box shoved under a pile...I found it while helping to organize his shop...when I realized what I could do with it...shazam! I horse-traded for it and took my lil-prize home. I'm happy to this day."

"I started with the old RCBS Rock Chucker on the left in 74...Why?...It was the only tool I ever saw that you could make your own ammo with. What a genius idea! It was in a gun shop...Had no idea of other tools available at the time. I bought it and never looked back."

"Since then and since my long apprenticeship in this hobby, I've added the LnL Progressive in the rear...I could give a long oration on 'Why' regarding that press...but...that's not the theme here. I just wanted to point out how some of us might have made the choices that we have."

HangFireW8
06-19-2016, 11:45 AM
I have a RockChucker, two Lee Classic Casts and a Forster/Bonanza CoAx all in a row for assembly line style reloading. My Lee's have the thread inserts not the breech locks.

All presses and dies are indexed and dialed-in for minimum eccentricity. Typically I use a body die followed by a bushing neck die. I use a progressive press for handgun.

I like the feel of the Lee's while I like the leverage of the RockChucker for sizing. The CoAx is most concentric for seating. Since it has quick change I also use it for decapping before brass prep and for separate step crimps, when I crimp.

Digger
06-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Wow ! , excellent response's so far ...
Great to see the "real world" situations as they come up here , most examples of gentlemen taking advantage of opportunities that are in front of them at different times of life.
Like some here , took my time to research and made a "guess" and bought the machine that would work for me and has done very well so far for my needs .
There are more "Classic Cast Turret" users out there then I realized ..
By the way there "OS OK" ...like your shop set up there.

flashhole
06-19-2016, 12:55 PM
I like the round table too. Access from all sides. I built an island bench for access to all sides. Love it.

2 Classic Turrets, 1 Classic Cast single stage and 2 Redding Ultramags on my bench. Others have come and gone, these are the keepers that fit my handloading style.

jmort
06-19-2016, 12:57 PM
^^^ You have good taste.

jcren
06-19-2016, 01:02 PM
I love mine. I set my pistol turrents up to work with inline fabrication's reverse rotation/auto eject and the production difference is amazing for such a simple change.

skeet1
06-19-2016, 11:48 PM
I have a Lee Classic Turret and load most all of my calibers with it and have found it my favorite press. I have had many others presses and the Lee is the most easy to change dies in.

Ken

Digger
06-21-2016, 09:17 PM
Yes , it is most enjoyable with the caliber/turret change efficiency , simplicity that makes it work.

my caliber selection ....

jimkim
06-22-2016, 12:39 AM

Don't want to set up another poll but , curious as to how may here have and use the " Lee Classic Cast Turret" ?
As I got into reloading with this model to start with and have found out that it has fulfilled all my needs from just the starting out and learning curve to ongoing use all these years very nicely.

The only extra machines that I have acquired since are two Hollywoods , a universal and a senior, both of witch I use in conjunction with the Lee at different times.
Very enjoyable !

We all have different taste but was curious as to how many others use the Classic Cast these days in comparison to others in numbers.
Digger
For some reason I can't post anything, unless I quote someone. I have a Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic Cast, Lee Challenger, RCBS RS, and Dillon RL300. I use the LCT more than all the others put together. It's my "Go-To" for short runs, and quick load development. Oddly enough second place is probably a tie between the Lee Challenger and RCBS RS, but that's because of the location. They're on the bench in my den.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

seagiant
06-22-2016, 06:12 AM
For some reason I can't post anything, unless I quote someone. I have a Lee Classic Turret, Lee Classic Cast, Lee Challenger, RCBS RS, and Dillon RL300. I use the LCT more than all the others put together. It's my "Go-To" for short runs, and quick load development. Oddly enough second place is probably a tie between the Lee Challenger and RCBS RS, but that's because of the location. They're on the bench in my den.

Hi,
Sounds like that Dillon RL-300, needs a new home????:-)

flashhole
06-22-2016, 07:02 AM
That didn't take you long. :)

WFO2
06-22-2016, 07:28 AM
I have one that I use to load small rifle works great for me .

opos
06-22-2016, 09:56 AM
I'd loaded for many years using a single stage press, the "dip and trickle" method for powder, etc...about 5 or 6 years ago I "upgraded" and bought a Lee Classic Cast press (single stage)...loved it....still "dip and trickle"...then I bought the Lee Classic Turret and one of the new Lee Autodrum powder measures and I feel like I just got hold of my first automatic transmission car.
I load all my handgun calibers on the LCT and I still load the rifle calibers on the Lee Classic cast single stage..the Autodrum is on the turret for handgun loading and I do dip and trickle the rifle charges.

I'm a lower volume loader so this works perfect for me...if I loaded lots of semi automatic rifle ammo I'd probably load that on the turret as well..I had slight problems at first when using the turret but it was an "operator problem" and not the equipment...for some reason I just didn't get the full stroke of the arm on each move and I was short stroking the press and tearing up the little plastic grommet in the drive...since I got on track with full and even strokes I've not had one problem or issue and that's several thousand rounds ago.

Biggs300
06-22-2016, 08:22 PM
I replaced my Rock Chucker with a Lee Classic Turret Press and I have been very happy with the improvement in my reloading process. I liked the tolerances and mechanics of this press so much that I have since added a Classic Cast single stage press. Although the turret press would work fine, I use the single stage for reloading my 45-70's and larger calibers.

sghart3578
06-22-2016, 08:34 PM
I replaced my Rock Chucker with a Lee Classic Turret Press and I have been very happy with the improvement in my reloading process. I liked the tolerances and mechanics of this press so much that I have since added a Classic Cast single stage press. Although the turret press would work fine, I use the single stage for reloading my 45-70's and larger calibers.

I have a turret for my Lee Classic Turret set up for 45-70. I don't know why, I don't shoot that much 45-70 any more but what the heck, right?

I had to tape a note on the storage box as a reminder though. The 45-70 sizing die is steel, not carbide, so I have to remember to lube the cases.

Don't ask.

Steve in N CA

seagiant
06-22-2016, 09:19 PM
That didn't take you long. :)

Hi,
Back in the day, I dated a cute little country girl, that used to say," Squeaky wheel, gets the grease!"

Never forgot that, and has served me well!!!

flashhole
06-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Was she squeaky?

seagiant
06-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Was she squeaky?

Hi,
Oh yea!

Those where the days!

rbstern
06-22-2016, 11:05 PM
I've had a bunch of presses over the years, got the Lee Classic Cast turret about 6 years ago, haven't looked back. Only press I use these days.

odis
06-23-2016, 01:06 AM
I've never really read anything bad about the Lee turret press. Read plenty bad about the progressives. I only have green or blue presses because when I bought mine Lee wasn't making any presses except for shotgun ammo. I always enjoy these threads when they are civil.

jimkim
06-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Hi,
Sounds like that Dillon RL-300, needs a new home????:-)
I think it needs company. One at each end of the same bench. Right now, I'm lacking balance.

seagiant
06-23-2016, 07:27 PM
I think it needs company. One at each end of the same bench. Right now, I'm lacking balance.

Hi,
Ha! There ya go!

Admittedly, they are not easy to find!

flashhole
06-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Looks like a fine piece of equipment. I have absolutely zero exposure to them.

seagiant
06-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Hi,
To me (my opinion) they were over built at the price point in 1980.

Supposedly only 800 were made!

Mike Dillon did say he lost money on every one of them.

They were his first foray into a complete commercial reloader.

I feel they are like the RL-1000 which didn't last long either!

My opinion is it is a STRONGER press than either the RL-450 or 550 reloaders.

Once again this is only my opinion!

After the 300 didn't have the profit margin needed he went to the ALL cast frame of the RL-450!

Even though left handed I work the handle with my right hand and run the cases and boolits, with my left.

Having an open front, the RL-300 works well for me, the 450 and 550 not so much! (front bar seems to be in the way?)

I have yet to find a complete, everything included, RL-300.

A lot of times I am either repairing damage, or looking for missing parts! (even harder to find)

Alvarez Kelly, our own resident Dillon Authority, has helped me find parts, time and again, to get some of these loaders back to shape! (Thanks Brian!)

Lord only knows how many have ended up in the landfill?

flashhole
06-23-2016, 09:42 PM
Sweet, is it auto indexing?

seagiant
06-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Sweet, is it auto indexing?

Hi,
NO!

It's manual all the way!

Another reason I like it! (go figure?)

Alvarez Kelly
06-24-2016, 01:43 AM
How did this Lee thread drift into the wonders of the blue koolaid... :-)

And yes, I love all the old Dillon presses, but I still reload on my RL550B...

seagiant
06-24-2016, 06:37 AM
How did this Lee thread drift into the wonders of the blue koolaid... :-)

And yes, I love all the old Dillon presses, but I still reload on my RL550B...

Hi,
To many girlfriends, I guess!!!

It goes where it goes, on my threads!

Walter Laich
06-24-2016, 10:33 AM
My Classic Cast is my "load just a few cartridges," 45-70 reloading, Lee sizing, Pat Marlin Checkmaker press.

I've mounted it on a rolling bench so I can sit down to do all these jobs. the dillons are at workbench height and I have to stand to use them (which isn't a big deal for me)

OS OK
06-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Yes , it is most enjoyable with the caliber/turret change efficiency , simplicity that makes it work.

my caliber selection ....

I like your fixture for the turrets. Are they made from PVC 90* elbows?

1bluehorse
06-24-2016, 07:19 PM
I had a Lyman T-Mag 2 turret press and while it was a good solid unit, it was stiff indexing and kinda slow (I could load about as fast on my SS press) so I sold it and bought the Lee Classic Turret because of the auto index and removable die turret. Used it for a couple years and it also was a pretty good press but not the "better than sliced bread" everyone gives it, in fact other than the auto index, the Lyman was a much better press IMO. The LCT just seemed a bit loose and "sloppy" to me so I sold it and bought something that works along the same lines but is more versatile and does a better job for me. I use a Lee Classic Cast SS press but have no desire for another LCT. Tastes vary.

Digger
06-24-2016, 10:59 PM
I like your fixture for the turrets. Are they made from PVC 90* elbows?

yes , 3" inch pvc elbows ....
Found a small floor drain face that slips into the elbow and screwed the drain face to the backing then slipped the elbow on with a small hole drilled thru the drain grate flange and the wall of the elbow for a "pin" or small nail for locking pin.
There is room inside the elbow for storage of small items to go along with the die set ... as the elbow can slip off with the locking pin removed.

Digger
06-24-2016, 11:04 PM
Thank you gentlemen for all the responses so far as they are just what I was hoping to hear as to the number of Turret fans here and also the other types of presses used as we all have are own taste in this very enjoyable sport/hobby .. please keep them coming in !

Horse people , computer people and us gun people ... hundred different opinions on the same subject.
What makes the world go round.

flashhole
06-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Good job on the turret caddies digger. I picked up an Inline Fabrication turret holder, now I need a second one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/322201/inline-fabrication-toolhead-storage-rack-for-lee-classic-turret-press-black

Steve E
06-28-2016, 12:10 PM
I use a Lee Classic Cast press for all my rifle rounds and to mount my RCBS Piggy Back II on.

Steve..........

Digger
06-28-2016, 10:44 PM
I use a Lee Classic Cast press for all my rifle rounds and to mount my RCBS Piggy Back II on.

Steve..........

Sounds like a good combination .....

rondog
06-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Been using my LCT for nearly 10 years now, love it! Have no desire to change to something different.

Digger
06-30-2016, 11:03 PM
Yes , needed no other then all of a sudden a Hollywood comes along and how could I say no !
Now I have a Universal standing next to my turret as I use it to seat my rifle rounds after cycling thru the turret.

DerekP Houston
06-30-2016, 11:08 PM
Been using my LCT for nearly 10 years now, love it! Have no desire to change to something different.

My bench got lonely with out it on there. It just didn't "look" right for some reason.

EDG
07-01-2016, 02:10 PM
When discussing turret and progressive loaders it is sometimes useful to indicate what kind of ammo you load and get your answers from people who can tell you what they load.

Very enjoyable !

Digger

45-70 Chevroner
07-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Why did I choose a Lyman T-Mag II?...."It was the only turret I ever saw...was not informed of all the different manufacturers or their offerings, was not 'on-line' as now...couldn't just 'Googles' it. An old friend had it in it's box shoved under a pile...I found it while helping to organize his shop...when I realized what I could do with it...shazam! I horse-traded for it and took my lil-prize home. I'm happy to this day."

"I started with the old RCBS Rock Chucker on the left in 74...Why?...It was the only tool I ever saw that you could make your own ammo with. What a genius idea! It was in a gun shop...Had no idea of other tools available at the time. I bought it and never looked back."

"Since then and since my long apprenticeship in this hobby, I've added the LnL Progressive in the rear...I could give a long oration on 'Why' regarding that press...but...that's not the theme here. I just wanted to point out how some of us might have made the choices that we have."

Another clean freak. I love it.

rondog
07-02-2016, 06:37 PM
When discussing turret and progressive loaders it is sometimes useful to indicate what kind of ammo you load and get your answers from people who can tell you what they load.

I use my LCT for.....

.32acp
.380acp
9mm Luger
9mm Makarov
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.40 S&W
.44 Special
.44 Magnum
.45acp
.45 Colt
.223 Remington
.30 Carbine
.30-30 Winchester
.303 British
.30-06 Springfield
7.62x54R
7.5x55 Swiss

I have no reason to believe it won't handle anything else, except shotgun shells, .50bmg, 4 Bore, .700 Nitro Express, things like that.

DerekP Houston
07-02-2016, 06:54 PM
I've successfully reloaded the following on my lee turret and had no issues besides operator error.

380acp, 9mm, 40, 45acp, 44mag, 38 spec, 357 mag, 30-06, & 223. I just got tired of pulling the handle 4 times for each round and switched to a progressive for 38s.

Digger
06-03-2017, 04:02 PM
thread from the dead ....resurrected ?
Forgot to mention I load ..
9 mm
38/357
40 s+w
45acp
and 308 winchester ...
not that long of a list but lately loading 308 quite a bit with three different rifles to choose from.
The Classic cast turret does all very nicely ..

bandsmoyer
06-03-2017, 04:16 PM
I don't think there's a better single stage press made than the Lee Classic Cast

opos
06-03-2017, 05:11 PM
I've "boiled" my presses down to a Lee Classic Cast single stage press (for loading rifle rounds), a Lee Classic Cast Turret press for my handgun loading and I have a Lee hand held press for load development or for just messing around when it's too hot in the garage and I want to do some loading or preparation.

I've had lots of different kinds of equipment from the early days (late 50's/early 60's) till now...I am one of the people that thinks Richard Lee is an innovative manufacturer and developer...I use the Lee autodrum measure and after all the years of never having something (of any make) that I really liked or trusted...this one is a real winner...Only thing of Lees I don't use is their scale...I use a beam scale but not the Lee...

The classic cast line of presses is the best bargain I've encountered.

jmort
06-03-2017, 06:07 PM
^^^ This is all you really need
I would add a 550 and that would be all I needed

quickshot
07-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Love my LCT. Use it for 9mm,.45acp,.38,and .357mag. I retired my loadmaster for my LCT. I just dont need the volume the loadmaster puts out anymore. I also have the LCC single with the lock n load conversion that I use for my rifle stuffs. I've been toying with notion of selling it and moving all my rifle stuff to the LCT.

flashhole
07-11-2017, 06:37 AM
quickshot - I do 221 Fireball, 223 Remington and 45-70 on my LCT, works great, especially with the Auto Drum powder measure.

I fall back to my LCC and Redding Ultramags when loading 25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. Not that they are too big for the LCT, I just get more control with the single stage.

WFO2
07-12-2017, 08:28 AM
I use a lee classic cast turret . It is one of many presses that I have . I hand prime my brass for that press and have had no issues so far . I did buy a few extra plastic gizmos in case it broke , however so far so good .

kywoodwrkr
09-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Have a Lee classic cast turret currently being reintialized.
Was in a house fire and some plastic became rather funky.
Debating whether or not it can be used for extensive reforming operations.
Has anyone created, or had created, a special turret for larger diameter form dies?
Any problem converting it to single stage operation?
Thanks.

18Bravo
09-16-2017, 01:36 PM
+1 on the LEE Classic Turret Press. Mine sits on the reloading bench between the LnL progressive and the LnL single stage. Have used in going on 15 years. Probably have loaded more rounds with it than the other presses combined. If a part breaks or wears out it is easily and cheaply replaced.

flashhole
09-16-2017, 01:55 PM
"Have a Lee classic cast turret currently being reintialized.
Was in a house fire and some plastic became rather funky.
Debating whether or not it can be used for extensive reforming operations."

What are you starting with and what are you re-forming to? Something small like 223 to 221 Fireball, no problem. Something like 30-06 to 25-06 (or larger) you would be better off with a single stage press like the Lee Classic Cast or Redding Ultramag or several others on the market. I do a fair amount of re-forming and the Ultramag is great.

"Has anyone created, or had created, a special turret for larger diameter form dies?"

Can't help you here, no experience.

"Any problem converting it to single stage operation?"

To use the Lee Classic Turret as a single stage just pull the indexing rod. On the up stroke of the ram the turret will engage the captive housing. There is play in the engagement moment when the turret hits the stop that some view as slop or a design flaw. The Classic Turret is actually a very good design as things tend to self-center on the major work axis. I would not do really heavy reforming on this turret press because the upper frame/stop is bolted into the 3 vertical pillars. It does not have the strength of an O-frame or similar casting.

WFO2
09-17-2017, 01:13 PM
I have the Lee classic cast turret as well use it for 300 BO . I hand prime for it and have not had any issues.

FlyfishermanMike
09-18-2017, 08:37 PM
I love my LCT! I load 45 acp, 9mm, 223, 44 mag and 45 colt on mine. It's hard to justify a progressive when it works so well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

country gent
09-18-2017, 10:04 PM
On enlarging the die holes 1 1/2" die from 7/8" you need .3125 min wall thickness from the 7/8" die to the edge and from each hole to the next. This is bare minimum and dies will touch with no room for lock rings. Moving the holes in towards center isn't an option as the ram will be off center and it will also move dies closer together radially. This is the bare mathematics of the conversion you want to do. 308-243 30-06 to 25 06 or most forming chores should be doable on this press as it is. %0 bmg or other large dies calibers are going to be an issue with length of loaded rounds along with the die dia.

g17
09-18-2017, 10:48 PM
I don't think there's a better value than the LCT and it just works.