PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought a 1911

Bmi48219
06-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Been wanting one for a while, so many choices out there. Settled on an AMT Hardballer Longslide. I'll have to wait until Fathers Day 2018 for an STI.
Went directly from my FFL to the range. Half-way through a box of Perfecta 230 grain FMJ ($15.45 @ Wail Mart) shot a 4 leaf clover @ 35 ft. offhand. Maybe luck on my part but for sure this thing is way more accurate than I am. I have one other AMT, an AutoMag III, in .30 carbine, also more accurate than me. But I think this Hardballer may have it beat.
My Lee Loader Classic .45 kit & Xtreme 230 cprn arrived yesterday, plenty of brass on hand & an empty slot in the ammo locker to fill with reloads. Life is good.
But either I'm gripping wrong (see 2nd picture) or I may need a drop-in extended beaver tail, I don't want to permanently modify the frame. Waiting to hear back from Wilson if one of their drop-ins will fit. If anyone has experience with AMT's & extended beaver tails, I could use some advice.
thanks & Happy Father's Day to all.

runfiverun
06-19-2016, 10:36 AM
no that thing jams up into the web of your hand and the gun goes inline with your fore arm when you point it straight out.
the hammer is supposed to make a red splotch on your web.
most guy's bob the hammer or wear a Band-Aid or something.

DougGuy
06-19-2016, 10:52 AM
+1 on wearing a band aid. Both my 1911s have the GI grip safety and the GI wide flanged hammers. It's just what I like. I don't get bobbed with the hammer I guess I got less meat back there or something.

But yeah you are supposed to grip it with the backstrap jammed into your hand. Try resting the thumb on the thumb safety. Many shooters rest the supporting thumb (left) on the slide stop to prevent it from being accidentally engaged by a round coming up in the magazine. Right hand thumb keeping the thumb safety from engaging, left thumb keeping the slide stop from engaging. This may change where the web of your hand sits and may lessen the hammer bite.

Here is an interesting test. Stand in the Weaver position with feet apart and with the pistol unloaded, head looking forward, raise the arm and point the pistol straight out sideways and hold it with arm straight and fully extended. Now, turn your head and look to see where the sights are. IF that gun fits your hand, the sights will be dang near lined up. If the front sight is high, you likely will improve this with a flat mainspring housing. If it is low, try an arched mainspring housing. Bottom line is that the 1911's design puts it in the shooter's hand like it is an extension of the forearm, and wherever you point the forearm, the pistol should also point.

The longslide being muzzle heavy may need an arched housing to correctly "point shoot" without using the sights. My 5" GI model point shoots with an arched housing, my Commander point shoots with a flat housing.

Also, you may want to keep a tad bit of anti-sieze on the slide rails to prevent any galling that may occur. Ruger cured this by using different alloys in the slide and frame, back when the longslide was made AMT didn't do this.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Gee---you guys make it sound like blood and pain are meant to be part of the 1911 experience. I also get bit by them, and change out the grip safety for one with a beaver tail. If that still doesn't work I change out the spur hammer for a round Commander-type hammer. The thing is, I never know if one will bite me or not until I fire it. My very first 1911, a WW I G.I. Colt made me bleed, but a WW II 1911A1 did not. I have two of the 5" Hardballers and they don't bite me either, but to answer Bmi48219's question, yes, you should be able to replace your Hardballer's grip safety with a beavertail. If the Wilson model won't work without modification of your frame there are some out there that will drop in. Wilson does have one model listed by Brownells as item #965-429-111AN in stainless said to be a "drop-in" that may or may not require minor fitting of the trigger engagement area. AMTs use standard sized parts and have a high rate of parts interchangeability with high quality replacement parts. The pistol in the photos (the blue one) has a King's replacement grip safety, a drop-in, but I don't know if they're still available. The Hardballer is shown just for bragging purposes.

warboar_21
06-19-2016, 12:31 PM
All of my 1911s have the extended beaver tail and i'm happy they do. I didn't like getting bit by my issued 1911 when I was in the Army but loved that handgun. I prefer the extended beaver tail and am not worried what other people think.

I say if you want one and it fits then go for it.

500MAG
06-19-2016, 02:09 PM
I like that long slide. Looks really nice. Congrats

noisewaterphd
06-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Just fyi, almost nothing is "drop-in" for the 1911. Even a drop-in beavertail will require at least minor fitting. I do think it is a great upgrade though.

Bmi48219
06-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys,
a tech from Wilson replied to my inquiry ( 8:45 CDT today!) the Wilson 429SG would be their better fit. But may still have to bob the hammer. Guess I could buy another hammer so I don't screw up the original. I'm amazed they replied on a Sunday. Going to look at Brownells too before I start ordering parts.
As some of the more astute members have probably guessed, I know zip about 1911's. Looks like it will be a learning experience. But I have one now & it shoots great. Can't ask for much more than that.
500MAG,
you're obviously a person with good taste & a discerning eye. I'm in Jensen Beach. If you don't mind me asking, are you in the Deep South ?

William Yanda
06-20-2016, 07:05 AM
"I know zip about 1911's."
Thanks for sharing about your find. Just as this is the best place to learn about casting, there are other forums equally great to learn about other subjects. I learned a lot about 1911's from the 1911 forum and Remington revolver replicas from the 1858 forum.

paraord
06-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Back when I originally wanted a 1911 this was the one I wanted. None to be found so I settled on a Para Ordnance. If I found an AMT hardballer longslide I would be hard pressed to walk away without it. Very nice.

Bmi48219
06-20-2016, 11:07 PM
I bought an AutoMag III (.30 carbine) several years ago. Didn't really shoot it much until early this year. Started going to the range twice / three times a week & reloading .30 too. A Hardballer long slide had to be next. They are both really accurate, more so than me. But I like the grip better on the Hardballer. On the other hand, never got bit by the AutoMag. really happy with both of them, hoping to add a Javelina some day. Know what you mean about walking away, I had serious reservations about the $$ but knew I made the right choice after one magazine.