PDA

View Full Version : What is Your cast weight of TC 370 grain Maxi-Ball

rhouser
06-19-2016, 10:12 AM
This is not meant to be like "who is buried in Grant's tomb". My new/old TC MAXI mold is dropping at 354.7 to 355.8. I am using sheet lead with nothing added. This is as close to "pure" as I have. Is the 370 gr maxi-ball weight supposed to include the lube or something. Where am I losing 15 grains of body weight. I am new to casting muzzle loading bullets but not casting.

Thanks for any opinions, insights, or suggestions.
rch

pietro
06-19-2016, 10:55 AM

I would opine that you'll have an answer, if you lube the boolit(s) before weighting.

rhouser
06-19-2016, 02:08 PM
pietro: Thanks for the response. I am using the t/c bore butter out of the tube. It is really runny. I can't imagine putting a slimed (lubed with bore butter) bullet onto my scale. I guess I could zero a small cup and then see how much of the slime is equal to 15 grains.

Does anybody else find the tc bore butter a real mess in the summer months?

thanks rch

Maven
06-19-2016, 02:38 PM
rch, I had several .50cal. Maxi-Ball molds, 2 Lymans and 1 T/C. One of the Lyman molds cast too small @ ~365gr. while the other cast too large @ 375gr. The T/C, on the other hand, cast pretty close to 370gr. (368gr.) from what was essentially pure Pb. Btw, the bore butter can be runny when ambient temps. are high, and probably could be stiffened by carefully remelting it and adding bees wax. You'd have to pan lube those Maxi-Balls and make some sort of "Kake Kutter," but it may be worth it. Lastly, as suggested in earlier posts, a cardstock or felt over powder wad can improve the accuracy of MB's.

bubba.50
06-19-2016, 02:50 PM
I really don't believe the lube is counted when listin' the weight of the bullets. the moulds are factory designed & calibrated to drop at the listed weight/diameter when poured with pure dead-soft lead. any variance can lead to such differences as you note. if they shoot to suit you I personally wouldn't worry about a few grains.

bore butter can be a messy nuisance in any weather other than COLD. like mentioned cut it with enough beeswax to stiffen it up & pan-lube yer bullets. for .50cal bullets I use a fired 50-70 case as it is expanded enough on firin' to allow for the oversized ring on maxi-balls & Lee r.e.a.l.'s.

luck to ya & have a good'en, bubba.

rhouser
06-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Bubba.50, I will clean the "new" mold blocks again and this time really scrub them out. I really have not gotten a "clean" drop. All the bullets have some degree of sagging in them although the bands are sharp. Maybe I will pick up a few grains that way.

Maven, I can't find by bees wax and I went to the farmers market today where I buy it from a honey vendor (a local beekeeper not the other kind). He didn't bring any today but he said he will bring me a couple of pounds next Sunday.

I am going to try to find a balance with a bees wax and bore butter mix for the summer. Something at least like a Vaseline consistency or even a putty. I like patched ball in this gun for the low recoil and accuracy, but, again every thing changes between the 50 yard and hundred yard line with iron sights.

thanks rch

mooman76
06-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Are you sure it's suppose to be a 370gr mould? They made allot of those and the weights vary quite abit. I have a 50 cal that comes in at 365. The moulds I've seen aren't even marked.

triggerhappy243
06-19-2016, 09:07 PM
the 2 I have do not drop a firm 370. One I have drops 360 the other drops 367. all I care about is that the whole batch weighs the same.

triggerhappy243
06-19-2016, 09:08 PM
15 grains off could be because the base was milled off .035 of an inch.

54bore
06-19-2016, 11:24 PM
the 2 I have do not drop a firm 370. One I have drops 360 the other drops 367. all I care about is that the whole batch weighs the same.

:goodpost: