PDA

View Full Version : Flat Base Plug?

Good Cheer
06-19-2016, 09:33 AM
Looking at the Greenhill formula got me to wondering about folks shooting a 48" twist.
Any yall ever used a flat base plug with available minie molds?
It looks as though a 48" twist would be plenty for the boolit lengths and could allow for more powerful hunting loads... not that I'd want to shoot that way very often.

Good Cheer
06-19-2016, 09:37 AM
That's for .58 caliber by the way.

johnson1942
06-19-2016, 11:00 PM
if you are talking about the part of the mold that makes the hollow base , it can be altered. i did it once to a mold but i cant remember the cal. or the mold. two ways it can be altered. made flat or machined so the bullet has a lot fatter lip instead of the thin lip. it is a way to make the mini a lot heavier. nothing wrong with that. if i was to do it again i would leave a small hollow base so the cut twisted tail is tucked into that small cavity. i now use the single wrap system so their is no tail to tuck. most use the double wrap so it would be nice to have a slight hollow base to tuck the cut off tail in. if one has to cut a rivet to reshape the base plug then repace it with a screw. just drill and tap the base plug and then your back in business with the mold.