PDA

View Full Version : Grandson and the M-1

Ithaca Gunner
06-19-2016, 08:26 AM
A fine day yesterday was, my 14 year old grandson fired his first shots from an M-1 rifle. He's here for the week-end and I ask him yesterday afternoon, "Ya wanna go shooti'n?" A bright eyed,"Yup!" Was the answer I got.

We packed up the Ruger 10/22 and one of Springfield Armory's finest, U.S. Rifle-.30-M1 11229xx and off we went. The Ruger is an old acquaintance with him, but the service rifle was something completely new. Some instruction in properly loading the rifle, how the safety works, sighting instruction, and watching grandpa shoot a few clips to understand the workings of the rifle and he was shooting it on his own. He may not be an expert with the service rifle yet, but he was able to keep all shots within the scoring rings from the bench position.

Something special about putting history in a kid's hands.

DCP
06-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Bravo

nagantguy
06-19-2016, 08:43 AM
Well done sir, I'm proud of you and the boy!

Alstep
06-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Doesn't get any better than that. Your grandson will never forget that day with you.

dale2242
06-20-2016, 08:42 AM
My grand kids love the M1 carbine....dale

Hardcast416taylor
06-20-2016, 12:27 PM
I`ll never forget the leave my USMC son had and he brought 2 other guys home with him for some range time with different weapons. We went up the firing ladder from 10/22`s thru bolt action rifles and the usual AK`s and SKS carbines. Then I brought a Saginaw Steering M-1 carbine and a Winchester M-1 Garand. The carbine was enjoyed by all that shot it. With the Garand the usual response was BANG -OUCH!, BANG - OUCH! Amazing the response I`d get when the butt wasn`t kept tight to the shoulder! After they figured it out they proceeded to empty the 12 clips I had loaded for it.Robert

OS OK
06-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Grandpaws live for the day that they can have the grandson all to themselves...we have so much to give them...and so little time!

Adam Helmer
06-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Very well done! Keep the grandkids shooting, especially vintage military arms. After November 8th, it may be illegal, or impossible!

Adam

SWANEEDB
06-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Grandpaws live for the day that they can have the grandson all to themselves...we have so much to give them...and so little time!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, What he said, only G-son I have is in the military, career, he has blessed me with a G grand son but know for sure we'll not be able to share our M-1's with him, he'll be 1 yr old next mo.

rondog
06-20-2016, 01:16 PM
My grandson shooting my M1, he did better than me! He's 19 now, and talking about the Navy.....

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/rinselman/media/guns/misc%20shooting/200810051650002.jpg.html?sort=2&o=19

country gent
06-20-2016, 01:36 PM
For several years at the local club I coached 2 young Ladies They started with M14 M1-As and moved to ARs but they loved when I brought the Garand to the range.Nothing really fancy just a NM 308 with medium heavy barrel. I coached both to distinguished and I believe both have made presidents 100 and the biggest plus was seeing them grow and mature into beautiful young ladies / women. When I started coaching them they were 15 and they are in thier early 30s now. Im hoping if my oldest gradson(Jack) continues to mature and listen to start him next summer with a 22 single shot I bought for him a 22 stevens favorite. ( hes 4 now soon to be 5). The younger grandson ( Avery) has a few years to go Hes 2 now. Im looking forward to passing on the hobby and knowledge.

OS OK
06-20-2016, 01:50 PM
For several years at the local club I coached 2 young Ladies They started with M14 M1-As and moved to ARs but they loved when I brought the Garand to the range.Nothing really fancy just a NM 308 with medium heavy barrel. I coached both to distinguished and I believe both have made presidents 100 and the biggest plus was seeing them grow and mature into beautiful young ladies / women. When I started coaching them they were 15 and they are in thier early 30s now. Im hoping if my oldest gradson(Jack) continues to mature and listen to start him next summer with a 22 single shot I bought for him a 22 stevens favorite. ( hes 4 now soon to be 5). The younger grandson ( Avery) has a few years to go Hes 2 now. Im looking forward to passing on the hobby and knowledge.

Still have the one I bought my son at 8 years...it's 40 years old now. Looks like a midget in the gun safe along side the big boys.
2 of my grandsons first shots with a .22 was on this very rifle, have the newest grandson, the 3'rd almost old enough to shoot off his Daddy's first.
Puts a lump in my throat..."watching my son instruct his son like I used to coach him...sometimes using the very same words or phrases..."
We used to camp in the desert with my 3 kids and they would go through 500 rounds of .38 Spl. and .45 Colt in no time...They got trained handloading at that age too...the old Rock Chucker...I still see them lined up on the long bench and doing their part to prepare and load the rounds...like an assembly line, each kid could do any part of the process.

God...how I miss those days!...OS OK

country gent
06-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Oh shoot I forgot Little Avery has a remington rolling block in 22 long rifle here wwaiting for him. My 3 children could burn up 22s pretty quick. My son also enjoyed the pistols. He could put a 45 thru its paces. And we also shot 22s out to 200yds at times. One thing I taught them was no target was to small or to far just a bigger challenge to meet.

Ithaca Gunner
06-20-2016, 11:06 PM
Quite honestly fellows, was impressed by the way he handled that big battle rifle. I didn't detect a flinch at all, but he learned to hold it snug against his shoulder after the second shot. Recoil's easier than a '06 Sporter, but still gives a bit of a ride. If he was distracted by anything, it was the flying brass, (I enjoy that myself on occasion).

country gent
06-20-2016, 11:26 PM
The brass is a distraction as the op rod handle can be. Sarah the one lady I coached was left handed and nothing made her flinch, not the cases coming out or oprod right at the tip of her nose. LOL. Made practices easy though as we were facing each other when both were shooting LOL.

jimb16
06-21-2016, 12:05 PM
He's only 9 months old....I think its going to be a while until I can take him to the range. But HIS MOTHER had a ball trying to hit flying clay birds with a .410! and so did my son!

Ithaca Gunner
06-21-2016, 01:24 PM
Who needs a fancy 12 gauge? I did my best trap shooting with an Iver Johnson .410 single shot I paid $15.00 for.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
06-21-2016, 04:15 PM
I've still got mine,55 years later,might be able to hit a bird if it was holding still :kidding:
Who needs a fancy 12 gauge? I did my best trap shooting with an Iver Johnson .410 single shot I paid $15.00 for.

Shiloh
06-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Pictures??

SHiloh

jimb16
06-21-2016, 08:41 PM
I shoot skeet with that Mossberg pump.410. Maybe some day it will be my grandson's shotgun.

Ithaca Gunner
06-22-2016, 11:13 AM
Shiloh, I should have taken a few with my phone, but I never think of it. Modern technology is apparently too advanced for me...oh, I forgot the dog-gone phone anyway. You're right, that would be one to have the drug store make a nice big copy of to hang on the wall beside the picture of him with his first fish! I just have trouble grasping what phones these days actually do.

sghart3578
06-25-2016, 01:11 PM
You're a good grandpa.