PDA

View Full Version : Get the smell out

abunaitoo
06-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Thought I'd pass this along.
I thought everyone did it, but a friend was so impressed.
He had no idea, and nether did anyone he knew.
Living in Hawaii, used to do lots of fishing when I was younger.
The fish smell lingered on the hands for a day or two.
When I worked as a mechanic, solvent and gas smell would also linger on my hands.
With all the special hand cleaners we tried, this is the best thing I have found to get the smell out.
Even tried Green Scotch-brite pads. Clean but still stink.
Most people know about those stainless steal, flat egg shaped things.
You use it, with soap, when washing hands, and it takes the smell out. Magic...
I find those egg things hard to use.
What I use are those stainless steal Chore Boy scouring pads. The curly, curly ball stuff.
I squirt some hand soap on my hands and scrub them with the pad.
Never got a cut from doing this.
Smell gone. Hands clean.
I works for me. Your results may vary.

LUBEDUDE
06-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks!

MrWolf
06-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the tip. When I saw the title I thought you had a way of getting rid of the Democrats: starting at the top :groner:

SciFiJim
06-19-2016, 09:48 PM
I am not sure of the science, but I think it has to do with ionizing the water as it flows over the steel. I use a stainless steel knife blade and drag it backward over each palm under running water. I have found it works great for taking onion smell from my hands.

500MAG
06-19-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm glad to hear this. I take my boys drift boat fishing pretty often and we gave a heck of a time removing the smell. I have tried lemon juice, Dawn, alcohol.. And it still stinks. Will give it a try.

Minerat
06-20-2016, 10:16 PM
We were taught to wash our hands with salt and soap to kill the fish smell. It works.

David2011
06-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the tip. When I saw the title I thought you had a way of getting rid of the Democrats: starting at the top :groner:

Uh, my first thought as well!

David

abunaitoo
06-21-2016, 03:14 AM
First I've heard of salt and soap.
Does washing in salt water(ocean) with soap work????

Minerat
06-21-2016, 09:07 PM
First I've heard of salt and soap.
Does washing in salt water(ocean) with soap work????

HUUUUMMM....Don't know I never tried that. May not have enough salt in it.[smilie=1:

I use about about a tablespoon of salt, then add a little soap and water to make a kind of a paste then work that around and add water after a good scrubbing.

M-Tecs
06-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Baking soda and vinegar has always worked for me.

Silfield
06-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Stainless steel and water works well for me too but I find it works better if you use cold water. My father in law told me the science behind it (a professor of chemistry) but it was too much for me to remember!
Another one that works well for really grimy, mechanics hands is a squirt of washing up liquid and a spoon of sugar rubbed well in. Hands are always clean and soft after (well as soft as they are ever going to get!)

w5pv
06-22-2016, 08:16 AM
M-Techs is correct on the vinegar and baking soda it will also kill the smell of rotten fish left the trunk of a car for a couple of days.I asked an undertaker that I knew how to get rid of the smell and the vinegar and baking soda was what he told me to use.He said that they used it on bodies that had gone to far.

mold maker
06-22-2016, 04:27 PM
Does that mean I should wash the forks and spoons to rid my hands of stink??
Then I have to eat with both, but at least my hands will smell good.

MT Gianni
06-22-2016, 07:32 PM
I wash well with soap then finish with pouring a teaspoon or two full of table salt on my hands. Work it in well and rinse it seems to take care of it.

abunaitoo
06-22-2016, 10:50 PM
If you use vinegar, will you have the vinegar smell on your hands after????
Or will the baking soda kill the vinegar smell????

On second thought, I'm not to keen on salt and soap.
I always seem to get small cuts on the hands.
Salt would not be a good feeling.

rexherring
06-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Always used a simple bar of Lava soap with all the smells I had growing up on the farm.

SP5315
06-23-2016, 10:10 PM
M-Techs is correct on the vinegar and baking soda it will also kill the smell of rotten fish left the trunk of a car for a couple of days.I asked an undertaker that I knew how to get rid of the smell and the vinegar and baking soda was what he told me to use.He said that they used it on bodies that had gone to far.

A big +1 on this. Had a squirrel that managed to get in and die in one of my work trucks over a three day weekend. It was the only thing that killed the smell.