PDA

View Full Version : Just playing around

rmatchell
06-18-2016, 06:12 PM
I have been playing around with taking my swaged 357 HBWC and running though my ch dies. Still needs a lil work but looks promising.

I ended up using an airsoft bb to be able to eject without damaging the bullet

Tatume
06-19-2016, 06:58 AM
If cast bullets are lubed prior to swaging, the filled lube groove is preserved. Bullets can be swaged after having gas checks crimped in place also. I've been having great success with this process in 44 Rem Mag, using CH dies.

I've also had good results swaging commercial cast bullets, particularly coated bullets. Bevel bases are transformed into very sharp-edged plain bases. SWC bullets are transformed to the swage die profile without problems, and only a thin line attests to the prior existing shoulder. Accuracy is greatly improved.

Commercial plated bullets also swage and shoot well.

runfiverun
06-19-2016, 10:18 AM
shorten those up a bit and heat treat the alloy afterwards and I think you'd be able to run them through your 9mm.

rmatchell
06-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Im going to play a lil more with the dies but looks like the best thing I can do is turn a new ejection punch to be able to go to the bottom of the cavity.

Could be a fun little bullet. Also love being able to make 5 or 6 different bullets from the same cores.

rmatchell
06-26-2016, 05:28 PM

Turned a piece of drill rod down last night and actually got it right on the first try.

Wolftracker
06-27-2016, 01:46 AM
I swage pure lead into hollow base roundnoses, powder coat and swage again to smooth things out. This also works with cast alloy bullets as described above. You can alter bullets in many ways with nothing more than a good press, a pointing die and hollow point punch and get better accuracy than you will with plain cast.

guywitha3006
06-27-2016, 04:35 PM
I swage pure lead into hollow base roundnoses, powder coat and swage again to smooth things out. This also works with cast alloy bullets as described above. You can alter bullets in many ways with nothing more than a good press, a pointing die and hollow point punch and get better accuracy than you will with plain cast.

What do you use to as lube when you swage your boolits if you are going to powder coat them? This thought has crossed my mind but removing the lube so the powder coat would stick it what has been holding me back.

Wolftracker
07-03-2016, 06:28 PM
I use a very small amount of regular Corbin Swage lube, almost none in fact, then I soak them in alcohol for a short time (acetone would be better) air dry and you're ready to go. Pure lead and alloy don't seem to require much lube when forming in my dies. Can't promise you won't in yours though, depends on what you're using. Mine are Corbin S dies and the S-Press.