PDA

View Full Version : .58 Period Correct Mini ball paper cartridges, Civil War Period

washbuster
06-18-2016, 01:32 AM
Decided today I was goona make some period correct .58 paper cartridges for my 1863 Remington Rifle.Its not as easy as carts for the revolvers.Made up 5 this morning and tried them. They worked great,pretty cool now knowing how it must have been back in the day.Can't imagine the stress those guys were under.Also now I know why they had women makin these carts in an arsenal behind the lines.There a pain to make with big fingers but not impossible.If I keep makin um I'll probably get good at it like I did with the carts for pistols.Goona try and get some curler papers bigger,I think they will be the bomb.There loaded like they where in the day,60 grains 2F powder,.58 Mini Ball lubed with Beeswax Tallow lube170434

JohnCWF
06-18-2016, 11:52 AM
I use newsprint. Takes longer to cut out all the parts than to roll the tube. Most originals were tied with string. I just twist the paper as tight as I can They don't stay in the box long anyway. I use these in my 1863 Springfield replica.

On the other hand. I've never successfully made pistol cartridges. They're just to small and fiddly. But I keep trying.