PDA

View Full Version : Trim/Debur/Chamfer in 1

Rich22
06-17-2016, 08:15 PM
So other than the Giraud and the trim-it, is there anything that does all 3 of these functions? Must be powered. I am currently using a WFT and while it trims exceedingly well, I still have to handle the case again and the Lee Power quick trim has been a total failure. Looking at about 100 for the Giraud per caliber which is not horrible and I have enough ways to power it so that is not an issue.

Thanks

Kilroy08
06-17-2016, 08:41 PM
I've been using my RCBS Trim Pro II with their three way trimmer head. It works well and can be powered cheaply with a 1/2" cordless drill.

You don't need anything fancy to hook the drill up, just take the handle off and tighten the chuck on the trimmer shaft. I did a pile of .223 this way last weekend.

Drew P
06-17-2016, 08:48 PM
So other than the Giraud and the trim-it, is there anything that does all 3 of these functions? Must be powered. I am currently using a WFT and while it trims exceedingly well, I still have to handle the case again and the Lee Power quick trim has been a total failure. Looking at about 100 for the Giraud per caliber which is not horrible and I have enough ways to power it so that is not an issue.

Thanks
I have the trim-it but it doesn't deburr and chamfer. Are you using a special bit in it that provides this?

Johnny_V
06-18-2016, 06:58 AM
You may want to look at a Forster 3 in 1 trimmer and the power base for the drill press - works great for me.

Power Trimmer (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/721759/forster-power-case-trimmer)

3 in 1 Cutter (http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/468363/forster-original-power-case-trimmer-3-in-1-case-mouth-cutter-carbide-6mm-243-diameter?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Equipment+(Not+Presses)-_-Forster-_-468363&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4pO7BRDl9ePazKzr1LYBEiQAHLJdR3CZ1fxr wBVAC29nuUUQC37i4fSocaXFJ-nrmLqZuTcaAv-T8P8HAQ)

John J
06-18-2016, 10:25 AM
Check this trimmer out and see what you think..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndp4ZQD6kc8

John J

Rich22
06-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Check this trimmer out and see what you think..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndp4ZQD6kc8

John J

Hmmm looks very similar to the Giraud tri way, this may be a difficult choice. If I am going to do only 1 caliber then the Giraud is cheaper, if more than 1 then the Trim it 2 would be just barely cheaper, if more than 2 then the difference is very significant. They look extremely similar, if anyone has used both I would like to hear the opinions.

country gent
06-18-2016, 04:14 PM
The Gracey trimmer does all at once very quickly. The trick is it uses 2 cutter blades and they can be tricky to get set when changing over to diffrent calibers. it aso only works with bottleneck cartridges I believe. I have one in 308 from my high power days. Once set up insert case to stop on shoulder give a half twist and done. cases are trimmed to length deburred and chambered. One set up with diffrent cutter shafts would be easy to change over. St up with a coupling on the drive joint. shell holder removed slide cutter shaft out and new one in and set shellholder to cut length. Its a nice unit for one caliber. I have shellholders for mine in 308,30-06,and 300 winmag, all 30 caliber so the cutters dont need reset.

hd09
06-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Thought I would ad this one since there has been another thread on it. The pic is not that good sorry. I have one with a few different calibers and priming parts. It does use bonanza shell holders, the hole in them is bigger than others. Luckily I got this one with all the paper work and some shell holders.

abunaitoo
06-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Doesn't the new Lee trimmer do that????
Haven't played with one yet.

garandsrus
06-24-2016, 12:15 AM
You can use the Giraud cutter in the Gracey trimmer. It works very well.

Rich22
06-24-2016, 12:30 AM
Doesn't the new Lee trimmer do that????
Haven't played with one yet.
it is supposed to but made very poorly. I am going to go Giraud

warpspeed
06-24-2016, 12:35 AM
The Giraud Tri-way is a very nice trimmer.

Only issue is if you are looking to trim a caliber Doug doesn't make it for - like the 6.5 CM.

Drew P
06-25-2016, 02:46 AM
Shoot I'm going to have to upgrade my trim-it to that new 3-way cutter. That's very slick..

FISH4BUGS
06-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Maybe I am nuts, but I don't mind trimming with the Forster hand powered Classic. I also have a drill adapter for it. I have an extra cutter and keep them sharpened. I have just completed five hundred Cavim 90 and 91 308 cases over the last week....a few here and there each time. An hour here and and hour there. Get set up and do them a bit at a time. The task doesn't seem quite so overwhelming that way.
I'll set 500 cases aside and tumble polish, resize, trim, debur and chamfer, swage the primer pocket then clean the primer pocket, then they are ready to load. One step at a time for all 500.
I think the value of that manual process is a visual inspection of the case at each step. I noted (and scrapped) about 10 of these cases because the extractor had torn the rim a bit. Better safe than sorry. Handling a case an extra time or two does not need to be a bad thing.
I think if you get too automated you can overlook a step and it can cost you.
I guess I just like perfect reloads that go bang every time and shoot accurately. I have looked at the Dillon trimmer but can't bring myself to spend $400 on something that I can do by hand.
Winters are long and cold here in NH. Gotta have SOMETHING to do!

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Dillon power trimmer

Lloyd Smale
06-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Dillon power trimmer does the trimming and the inside chamfering. I believe they claim it does the outside too but it doesn't look like it to me but if your cutter is sharp in cuts it clean enough that it doesn't need to be chamfered.

FISH4BUGS
06-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Dillon power trimmer does the trimming and the inside chamfering. I believe they claim it does the outside too but it doesn't look like it to me but if your cutter is sharp in cuts it clean enough that it doesn't need to be chamfered.

I am sure it does a wonderful job. My blood runs Dillon blue all the way, but I just can't bring myself to spend $400 on something that I can do by hand with present equipment, that's all.

Lloyd Smale
06-26-2016, 07:23 AM
Ill say this. A guy could say the same thing about a star sizer when he has a lyman or even lee push through dies. Or say the same thing about buying a 550 when he has a rock chucker or lee hand tools. Mount that Dillon trimer up on a progressive press and size in the first station and trim in the second all fed by a case feeder and do a 1000 rounds of 223 brass. they take a size them on a single stage press and trim them all on a rcbs hand trimmer or even if I compare it to my rcbs power trimmer and after doing it once you claim it was one of the best investments you ever made. I just use it for 223 and 308 and if money got tight a lot of loading gear would go out the door before that dillion trimmer did. Now if your the type that idea of giving an ar15 a work out is shoot a 30 round clip or if your just loading 223 for a varmint hunting trip that no it probably isn't justified. but when I come home with 500 or more 223 empty brass it sure looks pretty sitting there. It also gives the option of trimming so easily that I do it after every firing and if you check your 223 brass after going through an ar its not a bad idea.

EDG
06-28-2016, 05:17 PM
Right after you hear handloaders bragging about fast fast fast you will hear them complaining about I blew up my pistol or rifle.

Rich22
06-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Right after you hear handloaders bragging about fast fast fast you will hear them complaining about I blew up my pistol or rifle.

While I agree with this to a point, it is about automating or reducing the number of steps in a process. provided there is still a human element of quality control and that we set the process, then check, double check, triple check, then check on a consistent basis and any time we alter any component or process we start over, efficiency is good.

dverna
06-28-2016, 10:04 PM

i have not blown up a gun yet. I will need to look at putting an auto drive on the 1050. I must still be loading to slowly.

BTW, some people should not even reload on a Lee whack a mole.

FISH4BUGS
06-29-2016, 11:08 AM
So true. I have blown up 2 guns in my days due to a double charge: a S&W 3914 (completely destroyed) and a S&W 76 submachinegun (built like a tank and only damaged the face of the bolt) Both in 9mm.
I know what I did wrong and have corrected that. I had a military case that would not allow seating of a new primer because of the crimp. I removed the case, replaced it and pulled the handle again without advancing the shell plate. Result? DOUBLE CHARGE! I now clear the entire shell holder of all cases if something happens before fixing the problem.
I also now have a light that shines down into the case at station 3 in a Dillon 550. I can see the powder level and look at it before I sit the bullet on the case for seating. It might not show a slightly higher or lower powder charge but it sure as hell shows a double charge.
That has corrected the problem. I also am not in a hurry. I can easily do 400 per hour on the Dillon 550 and not be rushed. I take my time, do each step carefully and I have been happy for many years without any mishaps.
Careful and deliberate. The keys to safety.

Lloyd Smale
07-02-2016, 07:43 AM
been loading on progressive presses of one manufacture or the other for over 20 years and haven't hurt a gun or a person yet. Havent even had a close call. Granted there not the right set up for an idiot but for someone who loads using even a small portion of there brain they do just fine. Keep in mind that all the factory ammo you buy is loaded on an automated machine that rarely even has an operator watching each step. So in fact it should be a lot more dangerous that anything a guy loads on a progressive press, at least while awake.

r1kk1
07-02-2016, 09:57 AM
been loading on progressive presses of one manufacture or the other for over 20 years and haven't hurt a gun or a person yet. Havent even had a close call. Granted there not the right set up for an idiot but for someone who loads using even a small portion of there brain they do just fine. Keep in mind that all the factory ammo you buy is loaded on an automated machine that rarely even has an operator watching each step. So in fact it should be a lot more dangerous that anything a guy loads on a progressive press, at least while awake.

+1

To add, I seen two guns blown from single stage and one from a turret. I load on single stages, a turret, SDB and a 550 without any issues. I would rather load on a 550 than any of my single stages or turret.

take care

r1kk1

str8wal
07-02-2016, 10:44 AM

I fail to see how this is relevant to the original topic.

EDG
07-02-2016, 11:01 AM
You cannot possibly compare the average red neck reloader to ammo loaded in a factory by professionals.
Your average reloader has many bad habits and just wants his ammo fast. Many of the larger factories have been in business over 100 years and they have real equipment not hobby tools.

Lloyd Smale
07-03-2016, 06:16 AM
so the guy at the factory that's greatest knowledge of the loading process is to push the start button and wait for alarms while hes drinking coffee is a more knowlegable handloader then I am??????????? In a pigs ear. As to factory ammo quality. One of my 280s really likes the ugly rem corelock 165 round nose. I ran into 10 boxes of them once for free and was running low on brass for another 280 so I figured id pull down a couple boxes for brass and save the bullets. Just for grins I weighted the powder charge and found that they varied for shell to shell by as much a 5 grains. Not .5 grains 5 GRAINS! I then tried them over the chrono and got extream spreads of 200 fps. Want something even worse by there crappy 22 shells. A real pro must be on the controls of that machine. Id would feel ALOT more confident on a once in a lifetime hunt or a dangerous game hunt using my handloads then I EVER would be using factory ammo.