PDA

View Full Version : I was asked a strange question today, and don't know the answer.

Ithaca Gunner
06-17-2016, 01:36 PM
A fellow ask me if I could update his prewar S&W M&P .38Spl. to use the new style lockworks, (hammer, trigger, etc. etc). I honestly don't know, I would guess IF it's possible, all the lockwork would have to be replaced to accomidate a new M-10 cylinder, hammer, and trigger, but a new heavy barrel looks like I can fit it just fine.

Any Smith guys here attempt this before? All I know for sure is cylinders, ejector rods, hands, hammers, and triggers are very different and won't mix with prewar parts.

Char-Gar
06-17-2016, 02:54 PM
The internal bed for these parts is different and parts can't just be swapped out.

runfiverun
06-17-2016, 03:20 PM
why would you want to?
all the pre-war parts should be hand fit together.

williamwaco
06-17-2016, 03:26 PM
I suspect he wants a modern cylinder so he can load it hotter.

Even if it is possible, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a new gun.

Outpost75
06-17-2016, 03:39 PM
If his pre-war .38 Hand Ejector is in good, original un-Bubba'ed condition, he can sell it for enough to buy a new gun he can abuse with delight.

Ithaca Gunner
06-17-2016, 04:49 PM
I don't know what shape the gun is in, I haven't seen it, but I like Char-Gar's answer to avoid opening a can of worms.

Char-Gar
06-17-2016, 10:49 PM
I suspect he wants a modern cylinder so he can load it hotter.

Even if it is possible, it would be a lot cheaper to just buy a new gun.

The problem with shooting hot loads in the old M&PS is recoil that batters the soft parts. A stronger cylinder won't be of much help.

williamwaco
06-18-2016, 12:15 PM
The problem with shooting hot loads in the old M&PS is recoil that batters the soft parts. A stronger cylinder won't be of much help.

Quite true.

But: Anyone who would ask the question wouldn't know that.

JMax
06-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Pre war Smiths are long action with different hammer and trigger pin spacing plus the side plate does not have the hammer safety slot. Leave it alone.

Argentino
06-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Long action vs. Short action. They switched from long to short action K frames in 1948. Quite different designs. I think it might not be an easy conversion (if possible at all).

Argie.

1_Ogre
06-24-2016, 10:04 AM
If I had a Pre-War, I wouldn't do anything to it. Wall hanger maybe, but I wouldn't want to try and mess with modern stuff with an old frame. Cheaper and safer to get a new one and let the old Pre-War have it's place on the wall of history