PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex and the 45-70

KCSO
06-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Not a recommendation but infor for those asking...

While researching 45-70 loads I tried 5 varieties of Holy Black, Dupont Bulk smokless and yes Pyrodex in the 45-70. These loads were fired from my Uberti 1885, an original trapdoor 1879 and a Pedersoli Sharps.

55 grains by weight of Pyrodex r/s was the best PYRODEX load running from 4 down to 2 1/2" for 100 yard group in all rifles. Since I was testing for military loads I used a 405 bullet. Velocity was right at 1200 fps from the 1885 and clean up was about the same as black... a fischer cleaner through the bore and dry patches and oil partches. But with pyro I did go back for the next 3 days and re oil the bores.

I found no advantage over black with the pyro and it IS more corrosive and requires a little more work cleaning. It would be adequate for hunting loads if it was all you could get. Is pyro usable? Yes Is it what I would choose? No

By comparison my military load duplication was a 405 HB bullet over drop tubed and compressed Schutzen FFG with a card wad and light compression. This load has went under 2" from the Uberti 1885 with marbles peep sights and clocks in at within 30 fps of 1880 military ammo. On a frontal head shot to a 1100 pound bison the bullet went through the skull and broke vertebrae to the 4th bone. On a quartering side shot the load went throught the right side and broke the off shoulder and was flattened under the skin.

northmn
06-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Paul Matthews had recommendations for Pyrodex in the 45-70. As the stuff does not work well in my muzzleloaders I do not have as much experience with it. Try to shoot it and 777 up in guns like my hammer shotgun. I usually found the 777 to be an improvement on Pyrodex for cartridge use. I would weigh three or 4 volume measures to get an average so I could weigh the 777 or Pyrodex for cartridge loads. 55 grains sounds about right for close to a 70 grain BP equivalent.

DEP

Leadmelter
06-19-2016, 07:23 PM
In the Wolfe series on Cast Bullets, there are two articles on Pyrodex and Cast Bullets.
Leadmelter
MI

armouredtrooper
07-08-2024, 12:25 AM
I've got some BACO 533gn Paper patched boolits that I'm working on and I was also curious about that can of Pyrodex RS sitting in my ammo locker..Now that I'm aware that this stuff is more corrosive than triple 7 or Goex, I'm very hesitant to use this with my Pedersoli "Q down under" Sharps rifle. I suppose I can find other uses for this stuff.

stubshaft
07-08-2024, 03:19 AM
Way back when Pyrodex came onto the scene, they had a CTG granulation that I used in my 45/70 RB and to load BP shells for my Damascus barrel 12 ga. Worked pretty well especially since REAL black was/is virtually unobtainium in Hawaii! Once I was able to secure a supply of real black ALL of my subs were given away.

07-08-2024, 07:39 AM
Just clean the gun after use. It may be more corrosive, but a good cleaning takes care of that.

marlinman93
07-08-2024, 10:31 AM
I'll never use Pyrodex. Tried it decades ago, but I found it lacking, and as mentioned still corrosive, so no advantage over real BP. Not sure why anyone would want to use it?

TNsailorman
07-08-2024, 12:21 PM
I bought a pound of Pyrodex when it first came out and not having any loading data for it, I called the company and got the originator on the phone. I asked him if I could use it in my .50 Hawken and he told me he could not recommend it for patched ball shooters muzzleloaders. He said it would work great in my .43 Spanish though. So, I gave up on Pyrodex as I could see no real reason to buy it any more. my experience anyway, james

MT Gianni
07-16-2024, 03:21 PM
I'll never use Pyrodex. Tried it decades ago, but I found it lacking, and as mentioned still corrosive, so no advantage over real BP. Not sure why anyone would want to use it?

In 78 when I started shooting muzzleloaders, it was all the local shop sold. [50 mile one way trip] The claim was their insurance would not let them sell black. It goes bang if you need it to.

Brimstone
07-16-2024, 09:30 PM
The claims against black powder are bogus. No one has ever walked into a gun shop, went down the powder can isle, saw sparks coming off the overhead lighting and said "I'm sure glad that isn't black powder" as they casually picked up a can of 4350 or 4895 under the shower of sparks. That never happened.

Something something the path to hell something something.

The cans are perfectly safe on a shelf and if a fire happens, 50 pounds of smokeless is going to do extreme damage to the building all the same if not level it.
I'm pretty sure the fire dept won't fight that sort of fire anyway. Not if they're aware it's a gun shop with ammo and powder cans.

My neighbor's ammo shed burned. He was reloading and had a space heater in it as it was cold. He left it running and went in the house, somehow it got turned or tipped, doesn't matter. It set off ammo that caused a chain reaction. By the time the fire dept arrived, all they did was block traffic and tell neighbors to stay inside over the bullhorn as the show unfolded to include a few window shakers as ammo cans with powder cans within detonated.

There were no injuries or collateral damage but his corrugated aluminum skin shed looked like an insurrectionists ammo dump after a GBU hit, burped up and charred ammo, brass and ammo cans all over the place.

John Taylor
07-16-2024, 10:25 PM
Was at a black powder shoot about 40 years back. One of the shooters borrowed a flintlock and it was making a funny hissing sounds before it went bang. Found out he was using Pyrodex. Most of us got a good laugh.

Texas by God
07-17-2024, 01:01 AM
Long ago I had a .50 CVA Blazer rifle; an inline powered by a miniature screen door spring.
I bought a pound of Pyrodex P because that’s all the store had.
With 70 grs, it would put 3 PRBs into 4” at 100 yards.
That gun would hunt and I had no problem with the Pyrodex as long as I seated the ball tight each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk