PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex and the 45-70

KCSO
06-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Not a recommendation but infor for those asking...

While researching 45-70 loads I tried 5 varieties of Holy Black, Dupont Bulk smokless and yes Pyrodex in the 45-70. These loads were fired from my Uberti 1885, an original trapdoor 1879 and a Pedersoli Sharps.

55 grains by weight of Pyrodex r/s was the best PYRODEX load running from 4 down to 2 1/2" for 100 yard group in all rifles. Since I was testing for military loads I used a 405 bullet. Velocity was right at 1200 fps from the 1885 and clean up was about the same as black... a fischer cleaner through the bore and dry patches and oil partches. But with pyro I did go back for the next 3 days and re oil the bores.

I found no advantage over black with the pyro and it IS more corrosive and requires a little more work cleaning. It would be adequate for hunting loads if it was all you could get. Is pyro usable? Yes Is it what I would choose? No

By comparison my military load duplication was a 405 HB bullet over drop tubed and compressed Schutzen FFG with a card wad and light compression. This load has went under 2" from the Uberti 1885 with marbles peep sights and clocks in at within 30 fps of 1880 military ammo. On a frontal head shot to a 1100 pound bison the bullet went through the skull and broke vertebrae to the 4th bone. On a quartering side shot the load went throught the right side and broke the off shoulder and was flattened under the skin.

northmn
06-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Paul Matthews had recommendations for Pyrodex in the 45-70. As the stuff does not work well in my muzzleloaders I do not have as much experience with it. Try to shoot it and 777 up in guns like my hammer shotgun. I usually found the 777 to be an improvement on Pyrodex for cartridge use. I would weigh three or 4 volume measures to get an average so I could weigh the 777 or Pyrodex for cartridge loads. 55 grains sounds about right for close to a 70 grain BP equivalent.

DEP

Leadmelter
06-19-2016, 07:23 PM
In the Wolfe series on Cast Bullets, there are two articles on Pyrodex and Cast Bullets.
Leadmelter
MI