PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough Big Presses? Redding UltraMag?

seagiant
06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi,
Did a thread on finding my CH Champion and had a few fans of the Redding Ultramag show up.

They seemed to really like the press and although I had to take up for my newly acquired Champion, the love for the UltraMag didn't escape me!

Was just able to buy a nice used model and thought I would start a thread on these presses while I'm waiting for mine to arrive!

Would love any pics you guys have on these, I found a few on the WEB.

Admittedly it IS a good looking press and I know Redding makes GOOD toys!

shooter93
06-16-2016, 06:56 PM
When I bought my Ultramag years ago Fred Sinclair told me he thought it was the most accurate press and he sold short of an arbor press and Wilson dies and they sold every brand including Forster. It doesn't have as easy access because of the two arms but I don't load rifles by the thousand so that doesn't matter to me. I use sizing wax and it sizes anything I can fit in it. I like it a lot. I do use a Lyman c-press for handgun rounds though.

seagiant
06-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Hi,
Thanks!

I had a Forester "Co-Ax" Press for 20 years!

It is a well built press and makes excellent ammo.

However I sold it when I got on the "Big Press" wagon years ago!!!

jmort
06-16-2016, 07:07 PM
When I get my Rock Crusher there will be no necessity for any more dedicated reloading press threads.

seagiant
06-16-2016, 07:18 PM
When I get my Rock Crusher there will be no necessity for any more dedicated reloading press threads.

Hi,
I think you're buying that.... just to pi$$ me off!

Ok, that's a good reason!:smile:

AbitNutz
06-16-2016, 07:28 PM
The ultimate press for me...is the RCE Walnut Hill. I have absolutely no reason to ever buy one but that never stopped me before...

flashhole
06-16-2016, 08:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/Reload_4.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/Reload_4.jpg.html)

flashhole
06-16-2016, 08:37 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/Reloadingbench3-09.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/Reloadingbench3-09.jpg.html)

seagiant
06-17-2016, 06:02 AM
Hi,
Wow!

Thanks for the pics!

You've got 2 UltraMax presses....

You must be impressed with them.

I went on some other shooting sites and have yet to hear a bad word on them!

Being left-handed, I like an open front type press and the handle on the right, like most right-handers would want???

Oh yea, that reloading room is WAY to neat!

flashhole
06-17-2016, 06:49 AM
I do like the Ultramag. I had three at one time but a buddy talked me out of one. I replaced it with a Lee Classic Cast. Nice press. It just fits my reloading style. The co-ax has very different ergonomics that just didn't work for me. I also like Lee's Classic Turret press, I bought 2, one for the regular bench and one for a portable set up I haul to the range. Just swap out turrets from one press to the other and load.

Here's the portable setup.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/two_zpswiemonai.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/two_zpswiemonai.jpg.html)

Here's the bench today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/MainReloadingBench.jpg.html)

I like the dog pic. :)

seagiant
06-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi,
I've been looking at the LEE Classic Cast Turret for actually years now!

I guess to busy with my true love, the Dillon-300!

I just put a WTB in for one....see what shows up, maybe nothing....

Seems owners of the Classic Cast Turret are happy campers!

Does seem like a robust press!

flashhole
06-19-2016, 03:00 PM
It is surprisingly robust. I use mine without the auto-indexing feature when loading large rifle cartridges but do use the indexing feature when loading 221 Fireball, 223 and 40 S&W. I don't prime on the press either. If you do buy one you will put it in the "keeper" category.

jmort
06-19-2016, 03:11 PM
"I use mine without the auto-indexing feature"

"I don't prime on the press either. If you do buy one you will put it in the "keeper" category."

Me too, me too and yes. I don't prime or deprime on my presses.

jmort
06-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Saw this in the Midway USA reviews/ratings

By r1kk1 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/736031/redding-700-ultramag-single-stage-press#) The press weighs as much as my CH4D Champion press which both come in at 30 lbs.
from Abiquiu, New Mexico

http://content.midwayusa.com/areas/features/pwr/engine/images/pixel.gif

OS OK
06-19-2016, 03:30 PM
I do like the Ultramag. I had three at one time but a buddy talked me out of one. I replaced it with a Lee Classic Cast. Nice press. It just fits my reloading style. The co-ax has very different ergonomics that just didn't work for me. I also like Lee's Classic Turret press, I bought 2, one for the regular bench and one for a portable set up I haul to the range. Just swap out turrets from one press to the other and load.

Here's the portable setup.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/two_zpswiemonai.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/two_zpswiemonai.jpg.html)

Here's the bench today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/MainReloadingBench.jpg.html)

I like the dog pic. :)

'Neat Freaks'...God save us all...now I'll have to clean my bench off ! I caught that bug years ago but...I'm becoming more and more immune as the years pass...:bigsmyl2:

flashhole
06-22-2016, 07:04 AM
There is a simple philosophy to being neat .... don't put it down, put it away.

r1kk1
06-22-2016, 11:09 AM

Sorry foe the sideways pic. I pick up my Ultramag II NIB a few years ago for 100.00. I put a LNL press bushing conversion in it. The large opening makes cartridge handling a breeze. I use the press for cartridge forming tasks. No priming tube and primer cup swap is done with an Allen wrench. I would prefer a 'T' style primer where one end is small and the other fits large. I have Reddings reloading book and the CEO or vice CEO states the press is a "C” style press. I call it a hybrid "O" style press. It has a 1" diameter ram for primer disposal. The frame is cast iron. The press will accept Lee 50 BMG dies and CH4D makes the shellholder. The press is slightly taller than my Champion. There was a podcast where the CEO of Redding was interviewed. He stated that each ram on their press lineup is fitted by one guy who has been there for decades.

I own both presses and case forming effort is easier on the Champion than the Ultramag. I think it may be due to the press from being from cast steel not cast iron. The Champion's ram is much larger and solid but drilled through for primer disposal. It may be the linkage difference as I don't know yet. My Champion does not have priming provisions nor will it accept LNL bushing's. The thread is a different pitch for the 1-1/4" bushing.

I would like to state that the Ultramag press is the most robust cast IRON press out there but I can't until I try Hornady's Iron press. I do believe and don't agree with the CEO about the frame style of the press but it is the largest and strongest C or hybrid C on the market! Bar none! I like the Ultramag better than current LEE, Lyman, or RCBS production presses. I own the Summit and it sports an arbor press conversion but it lacks the strength of the Ultramag but it forms cases for me. The Forster COAX does some forming but lacks handling long cartridges.

Seagiant, I think the Ultramag press is going to be a great press to your collection. It has been for me.

take care

r1kk1

seagiant
06-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Hi,
r1kk1, thank you Sir, for a VERY nice post!

A lot of useful info there for me!

Admittedly, I could probably do ALL of my reloading on a CH Champion, but what fun is that?

The UltraMag is a very nice looking press and I have heard it makes EXCELLENT, ACCURATE ammo, bar none, from several reliable sources!

Maybe something to do with the old hand at Redding, doing all the fitting?

I love "inside" info like that!!!

My UltraMag, should be delivered at my house today, and I will post some pics, this weekend!

lotech
06-23-2016, 09:06 AM
As many of us do, I use several presses. I've had an Ultra Mag and a Big Max for a long time. It would be difficult to choose one over the other.

seagiant
06-23-2016, 11:55 AM
As many of us do, I use several presses. I've had an Ultra Mag and a Big Max for a long time. It would be difficult to choose one over the other.

Hi,
That's interesting!

I've actually tried over the YEARS to obtain most of the big presses, as I just like them!

The Redding UltraMag, is my latest one.

The RCBS Big Max, seemed to be a VERY smooth press!

If the UltraMag is that good....I'm a happy camper!

Pressman
06-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Seagiant, you are missing the best of all the big presses, RCBS Model A. You really, really need one.

Ken

seagiant
06-23-2016, 08:24 PM
Seagiant, you are missing the best of all the big presses, RCBS Model A. You really, really need one.

Ken

Hi,
Hmmm.....I've got the A2?

I'll have to look at your excellent article, and get some info on the Model A!!!!

http://www.rtconnect.net/~wjmanley/ARTCA/ARTCA15.pdf

44Vaquero
06-23-2016, 08:57 PM
Seagiant; I still have the Ultra-Mag beat by a factor of 3!!!

flashhole
06-23-2016, 09:15 PM
44 - how do you like that press? I passed on two of them over the years because I cannot warm up to the backward slant.

seagiant
06-23-2016, 09:39 PM
Seagiant; I still have the Ultra-Mag beat by a factor of 3!!!

Hi,
Ha! That is a MONSTER!

Bob Deitemeyer, had an active mind!!!

If I was still shooting those firebreathing revolvers I used to shoot that would be the ticket!!! (3 stations!)

They do come up on the Bay it seems!

flashhole
06-23-2016, 10:10 PM
Does it take standard RCBS type shell holders?

seagiant
06-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Does it take standard RCBS type shell holders?

Hi,
yep!

flashhole
06-24-2016, 08:00 AM
There's one on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301993584878?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

44Vaquero
06-24-2016, 09:19 PM
flashhole:

The backwards slant is not so bad as it seems? It actually helps primers roll out the back through the rudimentary primer disposal. When loading rifle cartridges it actually facilitates placing the cartridge in the shell holder.

Seagiant,

Reddings is still a near exact single stage copy of Deitemeyer's design! This press is going to become the Crown Jewel of my reloading bench! I just love it!

seagiant
06-24-2016, 09:20 PM
There's one on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301993584878?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hi,
There ya go Flashhole!!!

Hi,
44....I can't help but wonder if Redding "got" the idea/design from Bob?????

flashhole
06-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Too much similarity in the designs to be a coincidence.

flashhole
06-24-2016, 10:13 PM
44 will likely pick up the one on eBay to make a matched pair.

44Vaquero
06-25-2016, 12:38 PM
Flashhole:

I did think about it for a hot second! However, my bench is modest in size and 2 of these beasts would certainly be retched excess!

Seagiant, lets be honest here. Redding flat out copied the basic design from Pacific. If Bob or Pacific were involved in trading designs with Redding at 1 time......who knows?

They are both still incredible presses!

Pressman
06-26-2016, 07:43 AM
Redding has been known to copy other peoples designs at will. See the flip over primer arm on the Turret press. It is a direct copy of the Patented design used by Savage on their press. The patent still applied when Redding copied it, but Savage had stopped making presses by then and decided not to push the issue.
Certainly this is a copy of the Pacific, but there was no patent involved either. Just reusing a good idea.

Ken

44Vaquero
06-26-2016, 11:25 AM
I figured Pressman/Ken would have some background information/insight. His comment is about what I expected was the situation. I actually wanted a Redding Ultra for years until I became aware of the Pacific Super! If I ever come across a Redding at a decent price I might put one next to the Pacific just for show?

Thanks for the input Ken!

seagiant
06-29-2016, 10:30 PM
Hi,
Well I got to the UltraMag at last!

Set it up temporary with some C-clamps, just to see how it feels!

I have to say it is one of the smoothest presses I have used!

Has a different feel, I think because of the long rods/bars connecting the pivot block with the top of the press?

Just sayin, not bad, but a different "feel" than the Champion or A2 presses?

This is without a doubt one of the presses to include in the game if your looking for trying all of the bigger presses out there!

flashhole
06-30-2016, 06:58 AM
You will really appreciate it when you size long cases. Congrats and welcome to the club

seagiant
07-02-2016, 02:30 PM
You will really appreciate it when you size long cases. Congrats and welcome to the club

Hi,
Thanks, I;m sure the guy's out West that shoot the 338 and such, love it!

My biggest cartridge now is the 308 for my battle rifles!

Admittedly I don't NEED every press I have but, when I finally found my RCBS A2, it set me on a personal mission....

To try the other big presses!

Out of everything I have, the two I would never let go of are, the RCBS A2, and the CH Champion!

The "funny" thing about that are, those two presses, are both made of cast STEEL.....Go figure!!!

flashhole
07-02-2016, 02:43 PM
Both are nice presses. I just never warmed up to the backward slant of the Champion. I had an older Redding Model 25 (6 hole turret) predecessor to the current T7 Redding markets. It was a solid press, I just did not like working with the backward tilt. If the champion came in a 90 degree configuration I would likely own one. Same with the Pacific Super Max, I just won't own a press with a backward tilt.

flashhole
07-02-2016, 02:50 PM
A 308 is pretty squatty. The press works great with Magnum cases of all types.

If you did a subjective comparison of the 3 presses that would be an interesting discussion point.

seagiant
07-02-2016, 03:44 PM
Both are nice presses. I just never warmed up to the backward slant of the Champion. I had an older Redding Model 25 (6 hole turret) predecessor to the current T7 Redding markets. It was a solid press, I just did not like working with the backward tilt. If the champion came in a 90 degree configuration I would likely own one. Same with the Pacific Super Max, I just won't own a press with a backward tilt.

Hi,
You would have to define "your" interpretation, of "subjective", for me!!!

As far as the backward tilt of the Champion goes, a small plate cut to angle could fix that.

It is really not that much and I've never noticed it?

Just sayin!

flashhole
07-02-2016, 04:14 PM
I get it that I could use a tapered shim. Just doesn't make sense to me to do that when other presses don't suffer the affliction. I guess it's just a period/style thing. In their heyday those were the presses to own if you wanted the best. I load for 5 rifles and 1 pistol. In all cases I have case fill ~100% (in some cases compressed loads) and I guide the bullet into the seating die with it placed as close to exactly vertical as I can. I can't do that with a press that has a backwards slant. Maybe others can but not me. The Redding Ultramag was introduced in the 80's and was very different from other presses on the market. I love my Ultramag for what it is and I have nothing but admiration for Lee Precision for bringing the Classic Cast to market at an extremely affordable price. I'm not swaging bullets and I would be willing to bet a beer or two that >90% of those who have a press capable of swaging bullets ... don't. They use that press to reload ammo just like I do.

FWIW - you can never lose a beer bet. It's simply a question of who buys. You still get to drink a beer with friends.

r1kk1
07-02-2016, 06:20 PM
My champion does not slant.

r1kk1

seagiant
07-02-2016, 06:36 PM
I get it that I could use a tapered shim. Just doesn't make sense to me to do that when other presses don't suffer the affliction. I guess it's just a period/style thing. In their heyday those were the presses to own if you wanted the best. I load for 5 rifles and 1 pistol. In all cases I have case fill ~100% (in some cases compressed loads) and I guide the bullet into the seating die with it placed as close to exactly vertical as I can. I can't do that with a press that has a backwards slant. Maybe others can but not me. The Redding Ultramag was introduced in the 80's and was very different from other presses on the market. I love my Ultramag for what it is and I have nothing but admiration for Lee Precision for bringing the Classic Cast to market at an extremely affordable price. I'm not swaging bullets and I would be willing to bet a beer or two that >90% of those who have a press capable of swaging bullets ... don't. They use that press to reload ammo just like I do.

FWIW - you can never lose a beer bet. It's simply a question of who buys. You still get to drink a beer with friends.

Hi,
My Champion is like the one that is shown on the CH4D site, BUT....

Even that is NOT the latest model??????? (Like r1kk1's model?)

Yea, makes no sense but you might want to call Dave at CH4D and see whats up?

FWIW, I TRIED to put these Champions in a Generation order, but they have changed the details of the cast and machining so often, that I gave up, after TRYING HARD to make some sense out of it, with VERY LITTLE info!!!

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/033000

flashhole
07-02-2016, 07:02 PM
My champion does not slant.

r1kk1

You're saying the ram on your press is perpendicular to the top of your bench?

r1kk1
07-02-2016, 07:20 PM

Yep. Sorry for the horizontal pic.

r1kk1

44Vaquero
07-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Flashhole: I find this comment interesting "The Redding Ultramag was introduced in the 80's and was very different from other presses on the market."
Considering myself and other have pointed out that it is a near direct copy of a 40+ year old design!

seagiant
07-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Hi,
Looks like it still slants a little to me?

It's not much anyway?

flashhole
07-03-2016, 06:48 AM
It certainly looks like an offshoot of the Pacific but it is still different from any other production design on the market today.

r1kk1
07-03-2016, 09:07 AM
If it is slanted I don't notice it. Seriously must not be a slant compared to old school presses.

Take care

r1kk1

Ickisrulz
07-03-2016, 09:59 AM
If it is slanted I don't notice it. Seriously must not be a slant compared to old school presses.

Take care

r1kk1

My CH4d Champion tilts at about the same angle as my Redding #25 Turret press.

quasi
07-05-2016, 10:36 PM

you could always mount it on an angled plate.

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-09-2016, 02:05 AM
Just one letter and one number: A4...

Pressman
07-10-2016, 05:43 AM
A4, if you are refering the the RCBS A4 then they are hard to find. They only lasted about a year and a half before production stopped as they were deemed to big, to costly to make and to costly to ship - when compared the the Rockchucker. And the Rockchucker was deemed to be functionally equal to the big A series presses so the A's went away.

My preference is the first one I owned, the 2A. I just like it, a lot better than another large press that is seldom mentioned, the Herter's Model O Super or "Super O".

Ken

seagiant
07-10-2016, 11:05 AM
A4, if you are refering the the RCBS A4 then they are hard to find. They only lasted about a year and a half before production stopped as they were deemed to big, to costly to make and to costly to ship - when compared the the Rockchucker. And the Rockchucker was deemed to be functionally equal to the big A series presses so the A's went away.

My preference is the first one I owned, the 2A. I just like it, a lot better than another large press that is seldom mentioned, the Herter's Model O Super or "Super O".

Ken

Hi,
Darn Pressman!

Now you reminded me I am also looking for that Herter's "O" Press, too!

I had "forgot", they are hard to find (for me) and pricey when I do!!!

Well...Got my A4 Big Max, anyway!!!

flashhole
07-13-2016, 09:29 PM
That Herter's O-Press looks like a beast.

seagiant
07-16-2016, 01:11 AM
Hi,
I've only seen pics of one, but it looks STOUT!

I found one in the "want to buy" section here, but with shipping, it was more than I wanted to pay!!!

I will wait and try to find one at a better price?

Something to keep my eye open for at Gun Shows!

browntown
07-17-2016, 01:44 PM
I welded up a little stand that put the ultramag up and away from the table so it wouldn't interfere with the drawer below. Plus when I sit, it puts everything at eye level. I also put the Hornady lock n load bushing in, but I'm thinking of taking it out as I got a die stuck in there some how and had a heck of a time getting it out. Plus you have to commit to buying inserts for all your dies.
Excuse the messy bench.

flashhole
07-17-2016, 02:07 PM
browntown that's pretty slick but you painted it the wrong color! :kidding:

seagiant
07-17-2016, 02:17 PM
browntown that's pretty slick but you painted it the wrong color! :kidding:

Hi,
Yep, I hate red for some reason! (Not cutting LEE, just the color!)

Oh yea, you don't have enough "junk" on the bench for it to be messy!!!

merlin101
07-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Hi,

Oh yea, you don't have enough "junk" on the bench for it to be messy!!!

You win the big mess award, boy o boy I'd have fun looking thru all of that and feel right at home while doing so!