PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain 54 LRH Barrel

54bore
06-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know FOR SURE if Green Mountain ever made a fast twist LRH drop in barrel in .54 Cal? I found one old post on another forum about a fast twist 54 but it didnt state wether it was a GM LRH or a custom barrel? I know they made the .45 and .50 Cals. as i own both of them, and they dont make them anymore or plan to in the near future. I would really like to find a GM LRH .54 if they exist? Guess i could call Green Mountain and ask if they did? Figured i would ask you guys first. i seen a few on eBay back in the winter months but now im not so sure that they werent the 1:70 slow twist round ball barrels, seems like i seen LRH tho? I have absolutely ZERO interst in shooting a round ball, i am definately a conical bullet guy and fascinated with the accuracy of the fast twist LRH barrels, Just wanted to nail this down and know for sure, any info is appreciated

pietro
06-16-2016, 09:46 AM

If anyone knows, one of the board members over on the traditional muzzleloading forum would:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php

bubba.50
06-16-2016, 11:52 AM
I used to have one so, yes, they exist. but yer gonna hafta find one on the used market or luck into a new-old-stock one gatherin' dust in a forgotten corner of a shop somewhere.

and while the muzzleloader forum mentioned is a great place to hang out, unless yer wantin' to shoot patched roundballs in it they won't have much use for it over there.

54bore
06-16-2016, 05:10 PM
I used to have one so, yes, they exist. but yer gonna hafta find one on the used market or luck into a new-old-stock one gatherin' dust in a forgotten corner of a shop somewhere.

and while the muzzleloader forum mentioned is a great place to hang out, unless yer wantin' to shoot patched roundballs in it they won't have much use for it over there.

I agree bubba, i have read some on that forum and gathered enuf that its not the place for me.

54bore
06-16-2016, 05:20 PM
I handled a used Lyman Great Plains Hunter in 54 Cal today and REALLY liked the rifle!! I will likely end up owning one, they wanted 379.00 for it, i wasnt sure enuf of the bore to take the chance, i can buy a brand new one for 560.00 at buffalo arms, the old gun was really good shape wood and furniture wise, but from what little i could see in the barrel it looked a bit cruddy, and the tang was not drilled for the Lyman 57GPR like the new ones. I will likely forget about this one and look more seriously into a brand new one

bubba.50
06-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Midsouth has the 54cal Great Plains Hunter in 54cal listed for $530.00 & shows it to be in stock.

Harleysboss
06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
You could always have one of your fifty cal barrels re bored to 54 and with the faster twist you desire. I have an old new englander 50 cal barrel that I have been putting some serious thought into doing that very thing. Bobby Hoyt is the man that I would contact for it. That short 54 new englander with fast twist and PP bullet would be a great woods rifle. Now you got me thinking.

OverMax
06-16-2016, 05:56 PM
G/M LRH 54 barrel. "A Quicky Twist."_ Yep they sure did in there hay day. When inlines became all the rage. {except for us hard core Traditionalists that is.} Than came T/Cs abandonment of making their Traditional rifles and its factory replacement barrels sold by Fox Ridge Outfitters.. At that point in time the writing was on the wall. i.e. G/M corporate decision: Drop-in Barrel stock depletion without re-generation.__ Shame. Allot of T/Cs side locks still being used & shot.
As with all discontinued things though. There are others barrel manufactures who have taken G/M's market share now. Just a small matter of finding a manufacture that does.

54bore
06-16-2016, 06:36 PM
G/M LRH 54 barrel. "A Quicky Twist."_ Yep they sure did in there hay day. When inlines became all the rage. {except for us hard core Traditionalists that is.} Than came T/Cs abandonment of making their Traditional rifles and its factory replacement barrels sold by Fox Ridge Outfitters.. At that point in time the writing was on the wall. i.e. G/M corporate decision: Drop-in Barrel stock depletion without re-generation.__ Shame. Allot of T/Cs side locks still being used & shot.
As with all discontinued things though. There are others barrel manufactures who have taken G/M's market share now. Just a small matter of finding a manufacture that does.

I know the Oregon barrel Co. Is one that will make custom barrels to your desire, they are like 350 bucks irc? I started this thread this morning before i had my hands on that old Lyman Great Plains Hunter Rifle, i like it a BUNCH!! I had a Cabelas Hawken .58 Cal that was made by investarm of Italy (same outfit that makes the Lyman's) i ended up hating that rifle and got rid of it! The Great Plains Hunter Rifle i messed with today was a darn nice rifle! I tried to pick it apart but could not find anything i didnt like about it, Totally different gun than the Cabelas hawken i had

bubba.50
06-16-2016, 07:01 PM
other than the people who don't like/can't get along with that curved buttplate about the only complaint I ever hear about Lyman G.P. rifles is that fishbelly buttstock. but a few minutes with a rasp & somethin' to use for a straightedge will take care of that if it is indeed a concern. never really bothered me but they do look better with a straight line to the butt.

Buckshot Bill
06-16-2016, 09:04 PM
I agree bubba, i have read some on that forum and gathered enuf that its not the place for me.

Same here, I had them delete my account.

OverMax
06-17-2016, 02:02 AM
Great Plains Hunter Rifle, i like it a BUNCH!! Good for you. You got to be pleased with what you carry afield. And too. Lyman's are close to being Period correct. Closer than T/Cs even. Now is the time to decide. Will your next rifle purchase be that Lyman? I hope so. (:

triggerhappy243
06-17-2016, 03:54 AM
I watched an argument unfold about wheather a rifle was period correct. Someone said the lyman was the closest to being period correct out of all the replicas. The way I see it... and I am ducking from tossed tomatoes now, Unless you are living period correct, shooting period correct matches, who cares. Are you having fun with it? I know I am.

Good Cheer
06-17-2016, 04:22 AM
Having a drop-in barrel made for your piece is about the best way to go.
How you get your hands on a percussion breech plug that fits your particular rifle can be where the real search comes in. Especially if you want left handed. Flinters are usually easier to resolve, not going with a reduced bore breech plug (sometimes referred to as a patent breech).
My .40 started out as an unappreciated GPR, obtained at used gun prices and sent off to a barrel maker to use the parts and fit the barrel.

54bore
06-17-2016, 09:02 AM
I watched an argument unfold about wheather a rifle was period correct. Someone said the lyman was the closest to being period correct out of all the replicas. The way I see it... and I am ducking from tossed tomatoes now, Unless you are living period correct, shooting period correct matches, who cares. Are you having fun with it? I know I am.

triggerhappy243, i could not agree more!!! Period correct means NOTHING to me, i am a hunter, extreme accuracy is by far the most important thing to me! There was a mountain man rendezvous within 15 minutes of me last weekend and i had ZERO interest in it after looking in to it and seeing where it said they would rather you dress the part but it wasnt mandatory, i could not imagine going to something like that! Nothing against the guys and gals that do, just not my cup of tea! A friend of mine went, he sent me a text saying 'bunch of guys and gals wearing costumes' i smiled and went on about my day

johnson1942
06-17-2016, 12:08 PM
for about the 10th time here , i saw a room full of not period correct muzzle loaders brought to the black hill s.dak. dead wood in the 1870/s . non were period correct, but they were real and of those days.

bubba.50
06-18-2016, 07:41 PM

yeh, they have spent the last three or four days with 90 some replies pilin' on a young girl who makes straps on an inkle loom. her mortifyin' offense? askin' if they might be period correct. hard to believe the small-minded pile-up & I know for a fact that lots of those ol' boys have the exact same type straps on their powderhorns.