PDA

View Full Version : 1873 Lever Safety

Finster101
06-15-2016, 10:38 PM
How do I remove the lever safety from my 1873 Uberti and what harm can come from removing it?

hp246
06-16-2016, 12:25 AM
The harm in removing the lever safety is that the gun can be fired when it is not in battery.

Finster101
06-16-2016, 08:03 AM
How much force should it take to depress the safety? My rifle is very stiff and I am finding it hard to stay accurate having to squeeze the grip as hard as I do. I have not handled others so I have nothing to compare it to. If I could lighten the spring it would be all I need. I don't want to Bubba it or make it unsafe just more enjoyable to shoot. The was it is now I pretty much use the latch to hold the lever depressed for anything over 25 yards. Not very practical. As you can tell I don't know much about them but I am trying to learn.

hp246
06-16-2016, 08:40 AM
As I said in a different post, I use mine in CAS. I have not altered mine in any why, and it does not make it difficult to shoot. The only way to lighten that I am aware of is to use a coil spring set up. Check this out: http://www.thesmithshop.com/leversafety.html I know some people do remove it. I would not by pass the safety feature for everyday use.

Finster101
06-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your help. That spring kit looks like it will work perfectly for me. I guess maybe it's regional but I have not seen anyone on the range that I belong to shooting a lever gun of any kind. I didn't want to muddy up the other fella's thread either.

James

stubbicatt
06-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Finster, I have that lever safety spring, as well as the lighter springs for the cartridge elevator levers. I didn't like them, and retrofitted the factory springs. I'll send it to you if you wish. It's just sitting in the gun safe unused right now.

Finster101
06-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Finster, I have that lever safety spring, as well as the lighter springs for the cartridge elevator levers. I didn't like them, and retrofitted the factory springs. I'll send it to you if you wish. It's just sitting in the gun safe unused right now.

I would sure like to try it. I'm happy with everything about the rifle except that and that is the only thing I plan to change. I'll shoot you a PM shortly.

James