PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use a FOBUS "Roto" Paddle Holster for CC?

bedbugbilly
06-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Just looking for some information on the "Fobus Roto Paddle Holster".

I'm thinking of getting one to try with my 9mm Shield. I carry OTB with a shirt tail over it usually. Currently, I'm using a decent belt holster that is leather and carry on my right side (strong side) at about 4 o'clock. It works well but not real handy for driving, riding in the car. "It has a forward "can't" so not real handy if put on for "cross draw" for driving/riding, etc.)

The Fobus "Roto" holster is supposed to be adjustable for 360 degrees. i.e. - can be "canted" at a forward angle or backward angle, etc. Supposed to be convenient for adjusting to a "cross draw" to wear on left side when riding/driving, etc.

My questions are related to how easily does the "Roto" holster "adjust"? Does it require a screw driver/allen wrench each time you adjust it? Does it hold the angle well or does it have a tendency to slip at all? Retention is supposed to be adjustable. Does it hold in tight to the body?

The price isn't bad - between $20 & $30 depending on where you buy it. I've always used leather holsters to carry CCW so am not used to kydex or plastic - which I think the Fobus is? (injected molded plastic)

Any comments on the Fobus (whether it be for the Shield or another hand gun) would be appreciated as far as how well you like it, issues or problems, etc. I have always used belt holsters so a "paddle" would be a new experience but it looks like it would be a quick on and off when needed.

Thanks.

Jim

contender1
06-16-2016, 07:57 AM
I own a Fobus,,, but can't recall if it's the Roto one or not. Mine is attached to a vehicle mount, & set to a permanent angle.
They are made of Kydex. A strong material. The paddle is a nice way to contour to the body, if it fits. But if it is in direct contact with the skin, it will rub & be a bit uncomfortable.
And I THINK the cant adjustment is a screw type "set" that isn't easily changed, if you want to switch from strong side while out & about, or to a cross draw when getting in a car. Most, if not all Kydex holsters that have some form of adjustment are like this.

phonejack
06-16-2016, 07:32 PM
My Fobus is non-adjustable , but then it's 20 years old. Never a problem with it.

flyingrhino
06-17-2016, 01:01 PM
I use Fobos Roto holsters for range work. I would not carry one for self defense. What I like about them is that the 1911 models can take anything from my unltra compact SA 45 to my full size compensated 460 Rowland. The tension adjustment is VERY sensitive. If it's tight enough to ensure the gun won't fall out it's often too tight to get the gun drawn. I'm not the only one that has had this problem. My oldest son is a police officer. He used a Fobus until his weapon came flying out of it one day while he was chasing a perp. He threw his away. They do make one now with a positive locking device that you have to push in order to draw your weapon. So, my opinion is that there are much better concealed carry holsters out there. I do love my Fobus for fun shooting.