PDA

View Full Version : What a fight, blood, dirt,scratches and cussing

nagantguy
06-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Transplanted several raspberry plants today, I know to late in the year, jt it is one of the sweetest tasting berries I've ever had and the house is selling so the lady told me to take what it wanted, leave plenty behind and clean up my mess. Yes mam says i. So you see know where the blood dirt scratches and cussing comes into the story, dry rock hard ground thorns, skeeters, digging, back filling more digging planting, watering mulching, it all happened so.fast it's a little blurry, but I one point I think I remember a chainsaw and hatchet coming into play. Next year they will make a great addition to our current berry patch.

TXGunNut
06-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Congrats, keep them watered and stock up on canning supplies!

runfiverun
06-15-2016, 09:49 PM
raspberry's wouldn't even make it into the bucket around here.

PaulG67
06-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Love raspberries, problem with growing them is they pop up everywhere all over the yard.

MaryB
06-16-2016, 12:36 AM
I planted 5 bare root plants 3 weeks ago. So far only one is showing signed of life. Been plenty of water for them... I love to make raspberry syrup for my waffles. It is a thin watery syrup that I can and put on the shelf. Works well to make great milkshakes too.

While mowing today I noticed the mulberries are already ripe! Wow is that early this year!

w5pv
06-16-2016, 06:17 AM
The brambles just seem to jump on you with all four feet,been there and done that with black berries.

robg
06-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Rasberrys cream and sunshine that's summer.

Skunk1
06-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Kids and I pick wild raspberries. I take them home and what the kids don't eat, get froze, and then bagged. Doesn't take em long to polish them off out of the freezer.

Ithaca Gunner
06-16-2016, 06:07 PM
Good for em or not, the dogs eat em right off the bushes.

big bore 99
06-16-2016, 06:12 PM
My German Shepard eats them right off the bush.

Frank46
06-17-2016, 12:25 AM
Sounds like my ex landlord's daughters when they were out on the lawn beating each other up. Frank

trebor44
06-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Last year we planted a Raspberry and Blackberry bush each. They were only about a foot high. This year the Raspberry and Blackberry trees are doing quite well and we have scored a few of the raspberries before the birds got to them. The bird block netting slows them down but they always seem to find a way to get through. I don't mind sharing but I do want my share!

Bookworm
06-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Them birds always figure a way. My grapes are almost all picked clean by wildlife every year, I rarely get any. I also have netting over the vines - doesn't seem to help.

When I was a boy, we had a cherry tree in the yard. Mom was out there at first light picking.

She said she got the ones that ripened overnight, the birds got the rest.

MaryB
06-20-2016, 11:07 PM
I had to fight with a grackle for the gooseberries today. Stupid bird actually attacked me until I managed to get in a good swat and send it in the raspberry bush. No nest in the gooseberries, not with inch long thorns...

CHeatermk3
06-20-2016, 11:20 PM
Didn't get any Blackberries at all last summer--it didn't rain here from late May all the way into late Oct. (except for just enough in June to ruin the strawberry crops) or maybe it was early Nov.--then It POURED every day for 7 weeks straight!

This year looks to be a good one for everything