PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 in .357 Mag feed iussues &scope base info

eljefeoz
06-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Gday All,
Trying to help an old friend and mentor with his Rossi.He will be best suited with a red dot to help his aging eyes.
We tapped out the buckhorn sight and found 4 holes D/T
Can anyone help me with
a. the size and thread of the scope base holes?
2.The rifle is effectively single shot because ammo catches on either the feed rail or entry to chamber(?) and hangs up. This happens with factory RN, cast WC and 158 gr from a Lyman (?) mould
Cheers and TIA

DerekP Houston
06-15-2016, 10:40 AM
a brief google led me to this mount, though it is not the same as the one I have. I believe I ordered mine from stevesgunz. If this is a new rossi, there are a number of tips and tricks to help them smooth and feed better. I have a copy of the DVD if you would like it mailed to you. Mine personally likes 357 brass and RN designs but I did modify the lifter and followed the instructions on the dvd. I found you have to cycle the action briskly to get it working 100% until its broken in right.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/rossi-scope-mount-for-r92-rifles.html

tja6435
06-15-2016, 10:45 AM
NOE makes a mount for round barrel Rossi 92's

blixen
06-15-2016, 11:08 AM
could I slightly highjack this thread? A friend just got a rossi 92 in .454 Casull, he's wondering if he can run .45 Long Colt through it, too. I couldn't find a solid yes or no online. One article said it wouldn't feed .45LC cast boolits, in particular.

he's planning to put the safety replacement peep sight on it.

Very nice rifle, BTW.

northmn
06-15-2016, 11:41 AM
The scope mount usually comes with screws. Feeding issues are kind of different as mine will not feed only one type od ammo, a Lee Round nose flat point which is basically a wad cutter with a crimp groove further down. Winchesters needed to be worked like you meant it and you cannot baby the Rossi either.

DP

runfiverun
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Blixen... yes if they will feed.

the cartridge becomes part of the inner mechanicals in the 92 rifles and it is involved with the timing events of it chambering.
if your having feeding issues the areas to look at are the feed rails and the angle the round is presented to the chamber.
the case comes up at an angle on the lifter.
the rim is pushed forward by the bolt.
and then the round hits the top of the chamber and rolls over while the rim slips under the extractor through a little notch in the rails.

follow those steps and you'll see where things go wrong, like where the rails are binding things up, or where the oal is letting the round roll over too far and jamming against the tiniest feed ramp on earth.

hp246
06-15-2016, 02:26 PM
The 92s can also be picky about overall cartridge length.

fecmech
06-15-2016, 07:41 PM
As a previous poster mentioned NOE makes the mount as Rossi seems not to any more. Holes are 6-48 and screws come with the mount.

Jake70
06-16-2016, 12:01 AM
could I slightly highjack this thread? A friend just got a rossi 92 in .454 Casull, he's wondering if he can run .45 Long Colt through it, too. I couldn't find a solid yes or no online. One article said it wouldn't feed .45LC cast boolits, in particular.

he's planning to put the safety replacement peep sight on it.

Very nice rifle, BTW.

A 45 colt is basically a "special" version of the 454 Casull. If the gun feeds 45 colt ok (Rossi rifles seem to be hit or miss in that regard), you should be good to go.

winelover
06-16-2016, 07:12 AM
We tapped out the buckhorn sight and found 4 holes D/T
Can anyone help me with
a. the size and thread of the scope base holes?

When I purchased a new Rossi at LGS, I had them order the Rossi mount. Received it a week later and attempted to mount it myself. Well..... couldn't get the screws started. Took it back to the LGS and they couldn't get them started till they re-tapped the holes. Not knowing if the threads were SAE or metric, I didn't want to chance it. Other than that, I have had no other issues, it feeds everything I tried. I did, however make up dummy rounds (SWC's and no primers) in both the 38 Specials and 357 Magnums and had them alternately load and feed them. They all cycled, so it came home with me.

Winelover

eljefeoz
06-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Thanks Fellas,
Much appreciated.
now for a slo mo study. And hope to get the ol mate going. He loves that carbine after he made a boat anchor of his S&W 586...

Speedo66
06-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Here's a link to the NOE scope mount. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=103&osCsid=25t3cm0034s41tgffa133ofce1

Rossi used to make their own, but they seem to be out of production.

dbh1956
06-18-2016, 04:48 PM
OAL is critical with my 92. WC won't feed but the lee 125 RFN does great.

RedneckRob
06-18-2016, 07:51 PM
My cartridge lifter was not clearing on the right side below the rail. If you open the lever just enough where you can see the lifter, look down at the right side and you will see ( on the lifter ) a notch. Push the lever fully forward and see if it, lifter, comes all the way past the loading gate flat thing sticking out. It took me looking at my older R. M92 44WCF to find the problem. If the lifter comes all the way up to the bottom and touches the rail then cartridge length needs to be look at.