PDA

View Full Version : Yugo Mauser Help

Chainsaw76
06-04-2016, 12:59 PM
I have an old '03 Springfield that was a serviceable rifle until it was accidently dropped it into a canyon. The front recoil lug is broken at an angle leaving only a thread or two that the screw can contact. Therefore, the action is canted in the stock. The original barrel was replaced with a two groove barrel that I'd like to shoot cast boolits thru.

Does anyone know of a gunsmith in Texas that can repair this lug without botching the job? Also, are there any alternatives that I'm unaware of.

Thanks!

jim

Scharfschuetze
06-04-2016, 01:46 PM
First I would ascertain if the action is still safe to use. Such damage up near the bolt's locking lug recesses may indicate bigger problems than just a missing recoil lug.

An option, if the action is safe, would be to install a Remington 700 style recoil lug a la the Model 700. If removing the barrel to do so, you could then look at the action's innards to determine its safety. This would take some lathe work and rebedding of the rifle, but a good gunsmith should be able to do it easily.

My suggestion? I'd just start over. Frugality here is a recipe for problems. Buy a solid 03 action sans bolt and other accouterments and then use all of your undamaged parts to rebuild the rifle.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a3_receiver.html

Mk42gunner
06-04-2016, 06:12 PM
I have to agree with Scharfschuetze on this. There really isn't any way to tell without disassembling the rifle and checking everything for cracks and straightness. Once you have that done, you still need to deal with the recoil lug. If the rifle hit hard enough to break a recoil lug, I can't imagine the stock surviving the fall.

If this was a rifle with sentimental value, I would piece it together in a non firing state and make it a wall hanger. If not, I would buy a new to me 03 or 03A3 and start over.

Robert

country gent
06-04-2016, 07:34 PM
First I would check the serial number asnd see where it falls in the range of recievers that are questionable as to heat treatment. The lug breaking from a fall doent sit well with me here. That is a sighn of brittleness, bent or deformed yes broken shattered no. If all else checks out adding the rem type recoil luge would replace the lug but doesnt address the action screws lack of egagement threads.Te only way to fix the thread depth issue would be to attach a new lug and drikll and tap it for the action screw. What may be able to be done is the broken area milled flat and 2 screws #6 x48 drilled and tapped into action on each edge of recoil lug then drilled and tapped in center for the action screw. Even better would be to fit them together with a dove tail joint and screws. But first make very sure the action is not brittle

Outpost75
06-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Country Gent has the right answer. This smells of brittle failure and warrants a serial number check and gunsmith inspection. A low-number 03 is suspect and should not be shot at all.

EDG
06-06-2016, 01:07 AM
There is a significant defect in the heat treat of the rifle when the receiver breaks off a huge chunk from a mere fall.

MtGun44
06-07-2016, 10:44 PM
If the action is OK, drill and tap a couple of 1/4-20 holes, one on either
side of the stock bolt. Screw in a headless 1/4 bolt and glass bed this in
the stock with PLENTY OF RELEASE agent. Should be fine, esp for the lower
recoil of cast loads.

Bill

Chainsaw76
06-08-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks gents, I appreciate the advice. It is a high SN rifle with the Marine holes drilled into . It had a 1,000 ft fall into the Palo Duro canyon that bent the bbl, splintered the stock and broke the front lug. I'll find another action to put the newer parts on.

I was offered a Fed Ord cast action for free, but I've heard enough negative things on them to not even want to shoot ANY thing thru them. I'll find another new to me original Springfield to shoot the reduced pressure cast loads thru.

jim

MaLar
06-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Better be safe than sorry! Got this from Mike Venturino"s FB page this morning.
169808 Looks like cast in the ammo box. From the looks of the trigger and rear sight the bolt came back.

Chainsaw76
06-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Yeah, a blowup ain't on my bucket list. I'll keep looking for a good action for the parts. I really want to shoot some heavy cast slugs in that two groove bbl.

jim

Geezer in NH
06-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Broke from a drop I would scrap it it is toast.

Sghinds
06-15-2016, 08:25 AM
I have a potential deal locally, currently working out details. WHat should I be looking for in regards to these old rifles and what should I stay away from? Price isn't a thing, he is wanting a 22 rifle for it, and I have an older Marlin model 60 and a touch of ammo (333rd WWB) I am putting up. I am going to ask for some more pictures, to help identify the exact model, but know the knowledge on this board is second to none, so figure I would ask here. From the photo below, what am I looking at roughly?

ETA: He sent more information. Its an M24/47 non matching. Good/bad about them.

swheeler
06-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Looks like a double charge to me!;)

jimb16
06-15-2016, 01:06 PM
If it is in good shape, I'd grab it. I have an M 24 Yugo and like it. I'm working up CB loads for it now.

dualsport
06-15-2016, 01:14 PM
If the Yugo is in decent shape at all you have a good deal, money wise. You'd be paying about the equivalent of $150 or so in my guesstimate.