PDA

View Full Version : Yugo Mauser

Sghinds
06-15-2016, 08:14 AM
I have a potential deal locally, currently working out details. WHat should I be looking for in regards to these old rifles and what should I stay away from? Price isn't a thing, he is wanting a 22 rifle for it, and I have an older Marlin model 60 and a touch of ammo (333rd WWB) I am putting up. I am going to ask for some more pictures, to help identify the exact model, but know the knowledge on this board is second to none, so figure I would ask here. From the photo below, what am I looking at roughly?

ETA: Wrong section.......

Mk42gunner
06-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Depends what you want to do with it. If it is going to be a donor action for a custom rifle, make sure of the model. Some of the Yugoslavian Mausers (M--48???) were an intermediate length and don't use a standard Mauser barrel fitting.

If you want to just shoot 8mm Mauser, most of them will be fine.

Robert

Sghinds
06-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Its just going to be a shooter. Owner sent me more info, it is a M24/47 non matching, but does have a bent bolt also non matching.

plainsman456
06-15-2016, 11:02 AM
For a Glenfield and some ammo get it.

I bet it shoots .

Sghinds
06-15-2016, 11:14 AM

I bet it shoots .

I am trying, seems like a good deal to me.

Shiloh
06-15-2016, 08:27 PM

I bet it shoots .

+1

Shiloh

Scharfschuetze
06-16-2016, 01:24 AM
Parts not matching is no big deal if it's a shooter.

Do ensure the headspace is good given its unmatched bolt and see if you can determine from wear marks that the locking lugs are both bearing on their recesses in the ring of the receiver. Of course check the bore and see if it's usable. Almost all of the Yugos that I've seen have had almost pristine bores.

Adam Helmer
06-16-2016, 11:53 AM
I would swap PRONTO. Yes the 24/47 usually has a horizontal bolt, but a bent bolt is fine. If you shoot cast boolits, do not worry about headspace. Fire a mild load on first firing, and back off the resizing die a half turn, try a case in the rifle and STOP resizing when your get a slight "crunch fit." Record the "Back off Needed" for each 8mm and you are good to go.

I have 8mms and .303 SMLEs and ALL require different backoff recorded in the die boxes for reference. One lovely old MkIII requires backoff of 1.25 turns. I label every box of reloads for each SPECIFIC rifle. Mis matched bolts can be worked around by sizing for each specific arm.

Adam

Sghinds
06-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Not sure if he realized the deal was strongly in my favor, but he has gone silent. Might not work out as I had hoped, but we shall see.