PDA

View Full Version : Respringing a hi power

odfairfaxsub
06-14-2016, 12:09 PM
Well I accidentally shattered the trigger spring when reassembling my hp after removing the mag disconnect so good news!

Im getting a new mag spring....and 9 other springs.

Lots of helpful videos from many sources say if I give myself 2-3 hours, pay attention, be patient then I'll have a stronger extractor, nicer trigger bar push, a safety that clicks on and off, new firing pin spring and new recoil spring which I believe the later of the two doesn't need to be replaced but will be used as a spare

and ill effectively be able to clean nooks and crannies that brake cleaner couldn't get to

buckwheatpaul
06-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Love the Hi-Power....let me know how it goes and what video's you use.....

RKJ
06-14-2016, 06:38 PM
I much agree with Paul. I love my HP, I find I shoot it more than most of my other pistols. I'd also like to have the info for the vids you find. I've found a few but could always use more info.
Also, you might check out http://forums.1911forum.com/ They have a real nice HP sub-forum and some very knowledgeable guy on there.

odfairfaxsub
06-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Bh spring solutions are the people that I got the kit from and they have a decent video that's fast going where they do a entire gun

GhostHawk
06-15-2016, 09:40 PM
My screw up, mis read. Sorry

nockhunter
06-15-2016, 09:44 PM
Are we talking about "Browning Hi-Power" or HighPoint piatols??

Mike

odfairfaxsub
06-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Hi power lol.

odfairfaxsub
06-16-2016, 09:00 PM
Just bought a 1984 surplus hi power....again. My one I was talking about above is a mk 3 late 80's this one is a mk 2 I just bought. Looks like maybe another re-spring job

nockhunter
06-16-2016, 10:51 PM
I love my MK III, way under rated in the "wonder nine" catagory.

Mike

odfairfaxsub
06-17-2016, 05:01 AM
Yeah... I've tried sigs, Springfield xd's, Cz, about everything and knowing what I know now I would have never sold my 2 hi powers. Best of every world in my opinion.

gwpercle
06-17-2016, 07:06 PM
Practice removing and then installing the old spring. I needed to replace the recoil springs in a WWII era Walther P-38 I wanted to shoot. It has a coil spring on each side, I screwed up one of the old spring trying to put it back in and was sure glad I didn't make that mistake with the new one.
I watched all the U-Tubes , read all the how to's....but still destroyed that old spring. After getting both springs in , correctly I thought , a trip to the range proved that one spring got jammed and the gun wouldn't function. Back to the bench , watch more U-tube and review instructions . Removed that jammed spring , reinstalled it so it looks just like the just like the other spring ... The gun cycles manually, but it cycled manually the first time ! Going back to range Sunday with fingers crossed.
If it doesn't work , I taking it to a real gunsmith..... U-Tube can't teach you everything .
Wish I had left the old springs in it now.
Gary

odfairfaxsub
06-17-2016, 08:06 PM
That's not a bad idea to do that. Deff good advice, to bad I destroyed my old spring lol

odfairfaxsub
06-18-2016, 06:54 PM
Just finished putting back together. Went back just fine. Didn't change hammer spring but did everything else. Took a hour. Well shot it 4 times and then ran out of my 6.0 gr power pistol reloads. Next I went to shoot my mystery 9mm reloads non coated and then gun shot all over the place. Shot 5.3 gr unique next gun shot all over. I gotta get my Dagon reloading room in service. I'm pretty surey gun isn't shooting all over the place bc of new springs but just ran out of the favorite reload. My hi power typically like the 6.0 gr power pistol and coated 124 gr tc. The hardest part of the assembly is the trigger. Put your
trigger w the finger portion facing up, slide it in place just enough to get the trigger bar in from the inside of the mag well. After it fits in knowing good and well the spring is on top of that trigger bar that makes contact w sear bar, align the hole and tap the pin in!!!