PDA

View Full Version : Webley 38 S&W - To go back to town or not?

Kevinakaq
06-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Morning, was driving back from range out in the forest and thought I would stop by a local pawn. Didnt have much since last time I visited a couple years ago, but they did have a mediocre looking Webley. I admittedly don't have any experience with them short of watching Zulu...

Bore looks great and she locks up solid. Aesthetics are not great but I am use to old military weapons. They want 275, down from 325, but think I could shave another 25 off that. Trouble is I just don't know much about their values so I thought I would ask for some assistance, though I am researching away already. I do value it as a chance to learn a new gun and caliber..might be worth 275 just for that...

Told owner i just might head back after a bit of research.

thanks ahead if time!
kev

Outpost75
06-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Unless you are big into WW2 nostalgia or DA only revolvers, let this one pass, unless you can get it for $200 or less...

A Webley & Scott Mark 4 which is SA-DA is a better shooter, love mine. After I corrected windage by widening the rear sight notch on the barrel catch, filing on the LEFT side only, I was able to center the group. Mine is sighted for lighter bullets, the heavier 200-grainers shoot high.

rintinglen
06-14-2016, 01:28 PM
They used to sell those things for 12.95 in the back of men's magazines before GCA 68 was passed. The one you are looking at is the least desirable version of the bunch. IIRC, the Enfield Mk I*, was supposedly modified from the Enfield MK I by de-fanging the hammer and removing the SA notch to make it less prone to catching when debarking from an armored vehicle. Those that I have handled have wretchedly heavy trigger pulls. The Mk I's and the WEbleys were nicer guns IME.
That said, for a fun gun to play with, I think I might spring $250.00 Obama bucks for it, after all, that is only $25.00 in real money.

Kevinakaq
06-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys f the fast responses. My own reasearch is showing the same results. Think I will let this one fade away.

kev

Scharfschuetze
06-14-2016, 03:08 PM
The full nomenclature is: No 2 Mk I* revolver. Modified from the earlier No 2 Mk I which Rintinglen described well.

My dad had one that I got to use a bit when growing up. The factory 38 S&W ammo he had was pretty anemic and if the sun was behind you, you could watch the bullets fly down range and hit the target. That was kind of fun. I really learned how to shoot a DA revolver with the beastly trigger pull on 'em. Once mastered they shoot pretty accurately and tin cans out to 25 yards or so are in serious jeopardy. The grip design always impressed me as very usable and much better than the old Colt PPs and S&W K Frames with their original skinny grips of the same time period as the No 2 Mk I.

FergusonTO35
06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
If you think it looks like fun, why not shoot them a lowball offer and see if they bite? Pawnshops seldom loan more than 50% of an item's realistic retail price, 1/3 seems to be the norm. Three Grants in their face might seal the deal.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2016, 10:36 AM
I'LL JUST BET they would like $275 for that Webley-Enfield. This guy probably still has $100 bricks of 1960s-vintage 22 LR on hand as well. $275 might be fair for a decent S&W M&P Lend-Lease in 38/200, but is off the hook for a W-E. I gave much less for my example not many years ago, and it is as described above--not a beauty queen like a Colt or S&W, but functional and the 200 grain NEI #169A castings go where the sights look at 25 yards. The DAO trigger is manageable, but no S&W--try a Nagant 1895's D/A stroke before decrying the W-E's trigger, though.

Char-Gar
06-15-2016, 12:26 PM
I have a great condition Webley Mk. 4 that was made in the 50's for the Singapore police. I paid $125.00 for it about 8 years ago, from a guy on this board. It is an accurate and fun shooting handgun.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2016, 07:27 PM
if you do opt to buy that Webley-Enfield, there is a pretty long thread here led off by Louisiana Man concerning the loading and shooting of the 38 S&W cartridge, and some other threads as well. The 38/200 loadings get pretty close to 38 Special performance with the 200 grain bullets, in the 675-700 FPS range. I would keep such loads limited to the Webleys designed for them and the S&W M&P similarly prepped. I don't run them in my Police Positive, and CERTAINLY WOULD NOT run them in any 5-shot top break or other small-frame platform.

FWIW, the 38 S&W is NOT a short-cased 38 Special. Its case diameter is .386", while the 38 Special/357 Magnum is .379". My Colt PP's throats are .359", but the W-E's throats at .362"-.363' and the S&W M&P are .363".