PDA

View Full Version : Buying cast bullets/boolits

Ole Joe Clarke
06-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Since my 40 cal casting failure because of the Lee mold casting undersize, I am without bullets. Who do you guys that purchase them, buy from?

I did some searching today on google and found a few to book mark. One, I believe it was called Dardus, sells 40 cal in sized diameters of .401, .402 and .403.

I believe you guys will give me the best information concerning price, delivery and quality.

Thanks in advance and have a blessed evening.

Leon

dverna
06-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Dardas has very good bullets.

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-13-2016, 08:31 PM
About 10 years ago I bought one of their .40/10mm 6-cavity molds that was I believe 170 grains. I have had excellent luck with it. It casts just about .402.

What temperature do you cast at? I like to cast with my alloy about 650 - 700, depending on the mold. What alloy are you using? Some "shrink" more than others during cooling. I use range scrap mixed 50/50 with pure lead.

Did you use a spray mold release agent? I tried Ms Moly, and the bullets dropped right out. But, they were .001 to .002 smaller than when using the mold just smoked.

Just some ideas that might be considered to get your mold to produce what you want.

RoadBike
06-13-2016, 09:16 PM
I've bought cast boolits from Dardas, Missouri Bullet Co., and Penn Bullets. Good boolits, no problems.

GoodOlBoy
06-14-2016, 05:20 AM
I always had good luck with Rim Rock bullets too! https://rimrockbullets.net/

GoodOlBoy

Walter Laich
06-14-2016, 09:17 AM
sorta off track: did you consider beagling your mold?

Or opening it up by using some grinding compound on a bullet you have put a screw in the base and turned it in the cavities? I've done this on several Lees with good results

shoot-n-lead
06-14-2016, 09:57 AM
sorta off track: did you consider beagling your mold?

Or opening it up by using some grinding compound on a bullet you have put a screw in the base and turned it in the cavities? I've done this on several Lees with good results

Easy peasy...works, too.

mdi
06-14-2016, 11:45 AM
When I buy bullets while researching a particular shape/weight prior to getting a mold, I have purchased Beartooth Bullets. Excellent folks to deal with and all the bullets I've been interested in are offered in different diameters per caliber. Also, to me at least, Beartooth uses a decent lube, not one designed for good shipping. http://www.beartoothbullets.com/

FWIW, there are a few methods for enlarging bullets from a mold, and most are relatively easy (varying alloy, mold temp., melt temp. beagling, etc.). I've even lapped out a few cavities a few thousandths...

kmw1954
06-14-2016, 01:26 PM
While I am not ready at this time to start casting and am just starting again to reload again least for me at this time it is more beneficial and cost effective to buy small quantities of commercially manufactured cast boolits. I see commercially cast as giving me the opportunity to try a number of different sizes, weights and shapes before I lay out the money on dies that won't work for what I want to do. While also gaining experience with loading these cast boolits.

At this time I've been actually looking at Acme Bullet Co. as they are a local company and seem to have a pretty good selection and reasonable pricing.

jcren
06-14-2016, 01:33 PM
Penn is excellent, and free with good advice. Helped me solve a leading problem before I found y'all.

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 01:35 PM
I've bought cast boolits from Dardas, Missouri Bullet Co., and Penn Bullets. Good boolits, no problems.

I've used Missouri Bullet with good success (38 spec) and some from Everglade ammo (reseller).

Shiloh
06-14-2016, 07:38 PM
Last cast bullets were from Meister 15 years ago maybe??
http://www.meisterbullets.com

Shiloh

Rattlesnake Charlie
06-14-2016, 09:37 PM
When you get your own cast boolits to work, you'll enjoy something you can never find with buying commercially produced bullets.

Ickisrulz
06-14-2016, 09:52 PM
If you're going to buy them, why not get plated bullets from Berry's or Xtreme?

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 10:39 PM
If you're going to buy them, why not get plated bullets from Berry's or Xtreme?

I happen to favor berry's if I'm buying. I figure the plated hold up better in shipping, and commercial cast typically lead my barrels. I bought a few bags for 9mm until I feel like messing with getting a new case expander etc.

rond
06-15-2016, 09:23 AM
MBC's 155 gr. SWC works great in all my .40s.

mdi
06-15-2016, 11:41 AM
If you are going to shoot cast bullets you still have to know your gun. Slug the barrel, measure the chamber throats, etc. Even with commercial cast, size (diameter) and lube are important considerations...

kmw1954
06-15-2016, 12:08 PM
If you are going to shoot cast bullets you still have to know your gun. Slug the barrel, measure the chamber throats, etc. Even with commercial cast, size (diameter) and lube are important considerations...

Agreed as to why I started a thread on slugging my barrel. Might not be perfect but at least I'd know whether it would be better to look at 9mm cast .356" or 38/357 cast at .358" bullets for my 9mm. It at least gives a starting point.

Ole Joe Clarke
06-16-2016, 09:10 AM
I cast .44, .38/.357 cal with no problems. I do not own the 40 cal mold any more. Thanks for the information.

Have a blessed day,

Leon