PDA

View Full Version : Tennesse Bullet Molds and sizer dies

54bore
06-13-2016, 02:44 PM
I know we duscussed this a bit in my 54 project thread but i figured it would be good to give this a thread of its own. I just got off the phone with George from Tennesse bullet molds, he explained to me that his bullet sizing dies are designed to go base first, thats why the the plastic type push rod is concaved like it is to except the nose of a bullet, he explained other technical reasons why its better to size that way but it kinda went over my head, i wish he would pop on here and explain! It makes sense, if you had a long bullet with twisted paper patch tail like we talked about in the other thread all you need to do is put it nose down in the concaved push rod and push the base thru first. Have you tried this Good Cheer? George is a really good guy, i explained to him that the .539 die was a bit snug in my 54 Cal, so he is sending me out a 537.5 and a 538 so i can find the one that works best for me, that was pretty darn cool of him to do that for me! It was my fault on the .539 as i just took a guess when i ordered it. I highly recommend Tennesse bullet molds, George is a great guy!

Good Cheer
06-13-2016, 04:37 PM
Well no, I haven't!

Had trouble getting alignment and didn't go further. The distance from the top of the loading press ram to the boolit base is where the difficulty came in. Without an initial bore to provide in line guidance I didn't see how it could work. But I'm very willing to revisit it!

ian45662
06-13-2016, 06:09 PM
I have 2 of his minie ball moulds and they are very nice. The are double cavity and will cast a lot of minies in little time. As you have said he is a very good fella to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54bore
06-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Well no, I haven't!

Had trouble getting alignment and didn't go further. The distance from the top of the loading press ram to the boolit base is where the difficulty came in. Without an initial bore to provide in line guidance I didn't see how it could work. But I'm very willing to revisit it!

Good Cheer, do you have one of his push rods? One like i have a pic of in the 54 project thread? He sells a stainless push rod that takes place of the actual shell holder, he said it will do every size, nose or base first, it has interchangeable caliber sizes that fit on top of the stainless rod, one side concaved so the nose of a bullet will sit in it and go through the die base first, flip them over and the other side is flat for pushing nose first. The stainless one will do all calibers.

54bore
06-13-2016, 07:54 PM
The push rod that i have is made of some kind of plastic type material, it is INCREDIBLY durable stuff, those TC Maxi hunters i sized were REALLY stiff going through, (my press is a Redding Big Boss) i thought 'yep there goes that push rod' but it didnt hurt it in the least, no damage to the push rod what so ever, Very durable stuff whatever it is!!

George said that Lee shavers has several of these dies, Shavers wrote an article about them in the single shot magazine giving them the thumbs up all the way!

54bore
06-13-2016, 08:14 PM

54bore
06-13-2016, 08:19 PM
That is a really loooooong 45 cal bullet sitting nose down in the push rod (the way he designed it to work) his push rods are made to fit perfectly in a #2 Shell holder.

Good Cheer
06-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I do have a push rod. Looking at it I didn't think that it was going to work with my boolit designs. I will look again.