PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Reloading Tools?

beeser
06-12-2016, 09:31 PM
A friend of mine has the items shown below but doesn't know their use. I'm fairly certain they're for shotshell reloading. Anyone know their function or value? He has no use for them.

Don Fischer
06-12-2016, 09:33 PM
I have the same one's and not a clue what they are!

Der Gebirgsjager
06-12-2016, 09:35 PM
They're for rolling the crimp on old time paper shells. Average e-bay value seems to be about $65, but sometimes they're in nicer condition. Funny how so many of these seem to have found they're way out to a damp old shed or barn.

beeser
06-12-2016, 09:45 PM
They're for rolling the crimp on old time paper shells. Average e-bay value seems to be about $65, but sometimes they're in nicer condition. Funny how so many of these seem to have found they're way out to a damp old shed or barn.
That's what I thought. They're actually in better condition that what appears in the pictures as they are mostly covered in dust and grime. Stuff like this holds up fairly well in our dry Arizona climate. I'll pass this along to my friend to see if he wants to go through the trouble of listing them on eBay. It's hard to imagine anyone using something like this to load shotshells.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Well, believe it or not you can still buy paper shotshell hulls. For various reasons some folks prefer them, and I guess one reason would be the Cowboy Action Shooters that like authenticity. If your tools are still operational then there would be a limited market for them. The bottom clamp is for attaching them to a bench or table, and the crank handle is turned rotating the inverted saucer-shaped part which makes the roll crimp.

beeser
06-12-2016, 10:26 PM
Well, believe it or not you can still buy paper shotshell hulls. For various reasons some folks prefer them, and I guess one reason would be the Cowboy Action Shooters that like authenticity. If your tools are still operational then there would be a limited market for them. The bottom clamp is for attaching them to a bench or table, and the crank handle is turned rotating the inverted saucer-shaped part which makes the roll crimp.

As mentioned before the tools are not mine but belong to a friend of mine. If anyone is interested in them I can provide contact info. I doubt he is interested in putting them on eBay. At least now we know their use.

Earl Brasse
06-12-2016, 10:55 PM
#1 & #3 as said above, basic, roll crimper for paper hulls.

Many were not marked with a name, those would usually bring less than named ones.
Some names being more desirable than others.

Have your friend go to e-bay, reloading, type in roll crimper, then click sold to bring up what they actually bring.

Average range $12-35, some specials ones at $80-100, but then again there were 3 sold together for $36.

#2, the one in the middle appears to be a hull trimmer.
The shell would fit over the mandrel part.
There should be a blade or cutting wheel.
They were used to trim off the case moth when they started to wear out but the hull itself was still good.
(they also sold tools for re-waxing the hull mouth)

Check to see if they are all 12 ga.
Other ga. are sometimes more desirable by their rarity.
(although that can be canceled by the greater demand for the more common 12 ga.)

Good tools to have around, if for nothing else, they look good on a bookshelf.