PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island accuracy

randyrat
06-12-2016, 08:55 PM
I bought a basic model or maybe one step up from basic Rock Island 45 1911 thinking i could use it for some bullseye shooting providing it will shoot straight. I put a Aimtech grip mount on it to mount a Red dot. I didn't want to tap and drill it if it doesn't make the grade..
Here it is after I fit the grip to it..It's high but i can get used to it quickly
I'll show the target in the next thread at 75', off a sand bag

scattershot
06-13-2016, 11:40 AM
I had ine like yours, a Tactical Model. I'm not a world class shooter by any means, but I have no complaints with the accuracy.

jcren
06-13-2016, 01:02 PM
I have the stainless version and a buddy has that model. Both very accurate. I pulled mine apart and miced everything and it spec'd very well. A fitted barrel bushing, Wilson spring set, and home trigger job and it will outshoot me.

wl620
06-14-2016, 02:28 AM
I have had one since '08 plain jane basic cheapest one they made then, I've put several thousand rounds through it with no complaint other than the hammer,sear,and disconnector were all cast and wore out at some where around 2000 rounds. I replaced them with a matched set ( cannot recall munufacturer) that were all milled steel and no problems since.
I keep a wilson combat 18lb. recoil spring in it and feed it boolits from either an rcbs 45-201 or mostly lyman 452460's it likes those little 452460's with power pistol or unique, recently tried with cfe pistol with good results.
It is every bit as accurate as my stock series 70 and will outshoot my sr1911 badly.
In short, yeah I like mine and wont leave home without it.

OS OK
06-14-2016, 06:18 AM
I bought a basic model or maybe one step up from basic Rock Island 45 1911 thinking i could use it for some bullseye shooting providing it will shoot straight. I put a Aimtech grip mount on it to mount a Red dot. I didn't want to tap and drill it if it doesn't make the grade..
Here it is after I fit the grip to it..It's high but i can get used to it quickly

How does it eject with that sight mount there? From behind the rear where the mount is scalloped out?

ole 5 hole group
06-15-2016, 09:05 AM
If you're a beginning bullseye shooter, I would think the RIA might do the job until you feel you can shoot to that particular pistol's capability - then you'll probably want to move up the ladder, so to speak, to maybe the semi-custom such as RRA, Les Baer or any of the full custom pistols made today.

Bench it off a decent rest at 50 yards - shoot 10 rounds, if you can keep all 10 rounds within a 6 to 8 inch group you're good to go - if the pistol groups better than 6 inches you have a real decent shooter there for the money.

The higher end 1911's will keep all 10 rounds within 3 inches and for the big boys, well, their 1911's will be built to keep all 10 rounds within a 1.5 inch 10-shot group or a hair less.

The ultimate objective for some bullseye shooters is to keep all rounds fired at 50 yards standing off your hind legs using one steady arm to be within 2.75 inches of the center of the X-ring - that's a 5.5" group all around the center of that X-ring. Once you can do that, which is no small feat, you can work on a 4" group and mingle with the big boys on the block. Not many civilian shooters ever achieve that consistent 5.5 inch group at 50 yards and fewer yet ever achieve that 4" group but many make a good go of it and enjoy every minute of the ride, even when they fall short.

Tom W.
06-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Mine is the most accurate center fire pistol I've ever bought .

crowbuster
06-15-2016, 11:11 PM
mine shoots well, accurate and has a great trigger. Hope yours is as well

Jake70
06-15-2016, 11:46 PM

I've heard they're pretty accurate guns. That's an interesting set up you've got there.