PDA

View Full Version : Greener Martini Shotgun

wolfen1949
06-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Can someone copy the barrel threads from a Greener Martini shotgun barrel onto a rifle barrel ?

AbitNutz
06-12-2016, 08:06 PM
I hope so...Navy Arms did the one I have. It's in 45/70 with a very heavy octagon barrel.

enfield
06-12-2016, 09:34 PM
I cut a stub on my lathe for my Greener ( to someday use as a stub for some other caliber ) it measures 1.075" outside as apposed to the regular 1.00" Martini Henry, Lee Enfield, Snider thread size. 14 TPI

Ballistics in Scotland
06-13-2016, 07:26 AM
I think it will be a 55 degree Whitworth thread, rather than the 60 degrees of most American threads. In some rifles, such as Mausers, American gunsmiths frequently find 60 degree threads work very well, but that is when the barrel is screwed in very tightly. A Greener which was made as the civilian GP gun (though possibly not a police gun) has a rather good takedown system. But as that won't be screwed up and clamped as tightly, it pays to get the thread angle right.

They make extremely good rifle actions. While I wouldn't go for very high pressure, and would bush the firing-pin hole unless it was to be fairly low, a smokeless .45-70 should be fine. Some of the late ones, with circlips instead of the usual Martini screw for retaining the lever and sear pivot, aren't as well made, and while I don't know anything concrete, I would prefer to trust the steel on an older one.

Unfortunately there isn't a .303 extractor, as was made for the military Martini. You would have to weld or silver solder extensions to the 12ga one.

Here is a repair I did on one of the few genuinely antique rifles made on the same action, the only takedown one I have seen. The little tongue was flattened or broken too much to locate the barrel precisely vertical, and the barrel needed setting back anyway. So I drilled a hole and inserted a piece of 1/8in. square high speed steel, which stays hard after silver soldering. I believe some of these, with the hump behind the breechblock pivot and the lower rear of the receiver cut away to slim down the grip, predate any Greener Martini shotgun. But I foolishly forgot to measure whether the threads were the larger size.

iomskp
06-13-2016, 08:55 AM
I have 3 Greener 12 bore rifles, the last one has a Badger barrel fitted all are take down rifles.

Ballistics in Scotland
06-13-2016, 09:10 AM
I have 3 Greener 12 bore rifles, the last one has a Badger barrel fitted all are take down rifles.

There is no doubt that that would be perfectly satisfactory. They will stand much more than shotgun pressures, including rifle rounds with a good deal more pressure. It is among actions of this kind barreled in antiquity, as archaeologists say, that the takedown is a rarity.

Col4570
06-13-2016, 11:04 AM
I converted two Greener GP Shotguns to 45.70 Black Powder in the 80s Using Parker Hale .451 barrels with Henry Rifling.A more recent one I converted to 32.40 Black Powder.http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/32-40MartiniBlackPowderRifle003.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/32-40MartiniBlackPowderRifle003.jpg.html)
This is the 32.40 one,I do not have Photos of the two 45.70s

wolfen1949
06-14-2016, 01:47 PM
The Greener I have is a solid frame not take down and in 14 gauge. I was thinking of going to 32/40. or maybe 38/55. I have having trouble finding someone to take off the barrel and rethread a rifle barrel. Is the the chamber area of the greener thick enough to use as a stub?

Ballistics in Scotland
06-14-2016, 02:48 PM
The Greener I have is a solid frame not take down and in 14 gauge. I was thinking of going to 32/40. or maybe 38/55. I have having trouble finding someone to take off the barrel and rethread a rifle barrel. Is the the chamber area of the greener thick enough to use as a stub?

It would be, unless you were rebarrelling for something it is unwise to use in the Greener at all. I believe I would amputate the barrel well forward, ream it to chamber diameter all the way, and insert the new barrel, soldered or Loctited, from the rear. This way you could have a flange to fit the shotgun groove recess or cover the rear of the shotgun barrel. The join at the front end could be hidden by a barrel band, for a sling swivel or forend attachment, or partly hidden with an open sight or target scope base.

Col4570
06-14-2016, 03:18 PM
I tackled the Martini as follows.I had an old Repro 20 Bore smooth Bore Sharps Barrel.I also had an 8mm Rolling Block Barrel 1 turn in 14".I turned down the 8mm making a Liner.I lined the 50Cal Barrel.I then Turned down and Screwcut the Breach end to fit the Greener Action,there was some extra work required due to the takedown design.I then made a 45.70 Chamber Reamer in Tool Steel by copying a Fired case with a Bullet set to the depth I wanted.I use an 8mm cast bullet 190 grains.The case takes 40 Grains of Black Powder easily and the bullet sits on it nicely.I do not crimp the cases.You will see that I have edited this note to say that the Ex Sharps Barrel was in 20 gauge rather than 50 Cal as originaly stated.