PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Sq Deal

Don Fischer
06-12-2016, 09:45 AM
I've got one, had it for a long time but very little use. Got it from a friend that passed years ago. Got it out maybe a month ago and no way can i do even 100 bullet's an hour with it much less more.Getting the thing set right in the first place is a nightmare! The adjustment for the flaring of the case mouth is rude! The adjustment for setting depth is hit or miss at best the fourth station is the crimp, I think, and I can't see where any crimp is applied. Primer seating is a sometime's thing. Usually I get one but all to often, a primer doesn't go in and I don't find out until the round goes into the catch box. That means pull the bullet and start over. To often the primer doesn't seat all the way and i won't try to seat a primer into an otherwise finished round. Not only that, but some powder does pass through the flash hole on it's way to the bullet puller. How much? It varies so not a clue! Right now I'm on the verge of selling the thing and going with my Rock Chucker and real dies! I do my 38's and 32's on the rock Chucker and can blow away my Dillion for speed. Anyone else have problems with their Dillon?

Blanket
06-12-2016, 10:05 AM
what are you interested for in trade for it?

marvelshooter
06-12-2016, 10:06 AM
I have a Square Deal and am not impressed with the priming system at all. Adjusting it is tricky and switching between large and small primers is a PITA.

jmorris
06-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I have had two SD's for over 30 years and they are actually the last two presses I used (I have all the other Dillon's as well), if everything is ready to go I can load 100 rounds in 9 minutes 30 seconds.

If the press is that old (post a photo of it) there are upgrades from Dillon for them that they have given me or installed themselves over the years when I sent them back in for rebuild. All they ever charged me was the cost to ship the press to them, they covered repair and shipping back to me.

Lots of plastic parts on the SD and they are all free replacement any primer issues and I replace the plastic tip. This sounds like it's going to be a bit of a learning curve for you though. Not sure how you are not feeling the difference between not seating a primer and seating one in the pocket?

I do have a Lee Loadmaster I'll trade you for it.

Alvarez Kelly
06-12-2016, 10:14 AM
I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I love my Square Deal presses.

bosterr
06-12-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm with Alvarez on this. I have two and wouldn't trade them for anything. If you don't have an owners manual, print one off the Dillon site. It's excellent in explaining all die adjustments and primer system adjustments. In most cases, skipped primer problems are caused by the plastic tip on the primer magazine. Yes it's plastic, but lasts a long time for me and I do keep spares.

Wis. Tom
06-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Willing to get in line for trading.

1bluehorse
06-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Well, my opinion is to keep it and spend some more time getting to know the press. Like mentioned, get an instruction manual (if you don't have one), sit down with it in front of the press and go through the thing. Get to know what does what and why. There is a learning curve to all progressive presses. I've never even seen a SD in person but am sure they are a very good system. Once you learn how to set it up properly I"m sure you'll be happy with it. The only reason I've never had one is because of the proprietary dies. If I were only loading for one pistol caliber that's the press I think I would have. After you get it going right you should be able to easily run 300 rounds an hour with it.

Earl Brasse
06-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Contact Dillon.; they have a no b.s. warranty.

Their helpline will be glad to talk to you.

If you send it in they will fix it & test it & send it back to you.

I have one that I got very reasonable & did that.
It works fine.
Since I have other presses, I just left it dedicated to that one caliber.

Happy loading.

Valley-Shooter
06-12-2016, 12:59 PM
I have a used SDB that I had to clean, lube, and replace some missing parts. Works great now. I printed out the manual and figured out how it worked. Get a spare parts kit and replace anything worn, the primer magazine plastic tip might need replacing. Also clean the inside of the primer magazine tube.
Make sure your shell plate bolt is lubed and tightened down. You can't seat primers properly if it's flopping around.
The instructions have detailed section on adjusting the primer system. Call Dillon for more help and to get the worn parts replaced.

Valley-Shooter
06-12-2016, 01:07 PM
Never had a problem with flaring the cases. The SDB doesnt flair the cases very much. Make sure all the screws are tight.
What is the condition of your brass? Are they the same brand? Are they they the same case length?

W.R.Buchanan
06-12-2016, 01:14 PM
If you simply call Dillon they will send you an Owners Manual. They will also walk you thru the set up over the phone.

The problems you are describing are pretty easy to fix, and it sounds like you just aren't trying hard enough. And in this case "Hard Enough" is not all that hard.

Dillon's Customer Service is second to none and they will get you up and running in no time,,, if you give them a chance.

Randy

imashooter2
06-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Manuals are available for download. Set up of the dies is pretty much exactly the same as with a standard die set. Settings once made are rock solid repeatable.

One issue with priming is that the bench needs to be very stiff both down and up. If your bench flexes in either direction, you will have priming problems.

Don Fischer
06-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Pretty sure it's me. The only other progressive press's I've ever used were shotgun press's and all of them have been ready to go from the factory.

About the lack of flaring on the 9mm case's, yea I know. Pulled a couple bullet's and found the PC removed on one side of the bullet. Finally got the flare adjusted but to much now! Have to loosen a screw on the collar around that die. Then I had to take a pocket knife and open the collar up so I could turn the die, not a lot of room for turning it! I had trouble with the bullet seater also and a pain to adjust. I think the problem is I adjust on one case and if it needs re-adjusted, have to run the same case all the way around again to do it on the same case. PITA! Think I will sell it but someone that can come get it. Don't want to have to pack it up to ship. Then UPS is 35 mi from here.

bdicki
06-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Think I will sell it but someone that can come get it. Don't want to have to pack it up to ship. Then UPS is 35 mi from here.
Where are you I have 2 but might take another.

EddieNFL
06-12-2016, 05:22 PM
IMO the SDB is best "set and forget." I use mine for one load only. I solved the priming issues by replacing the plastic tipped primer tube for the metal one used in the 650. My 550 also uses the 650 tube. Primer "opps" are a very rare thing on any of the three.

FLINTNFIRE
06-12-2016, 10:07 PM
Well I do not have a problem flaring or belling the case , a little adjustment at a time and I remove the brass locator buttons until its set correctly , am running 5 of them with a 6th waiting to be mounted , primer issues can happen with the plastic tip, but is easily fixed . other adjustments for priming can be found in manual, send it in to dillon and let them tune it up , but I would not mind another one . I use for different loads in the same caliber , except the 38 special and 357 magnum use the same press.
First one I bought was used and the guy did not tell me it flipped primers every once in awhile , I found the shellplate had a burr , replaced plastic tip on primer feed tube and cleaned priming unit and it runs fine , seating die can get lube build up like any other die brand , overall I like them and find they are great presses for my pistols.

jmorris
06-12-2016, 10:40 PM
You can set the SD so it will flare the case so much it's ruined, like the one on top of the tool head in this photo. If your having issues, make sure the plastic bushing is still in the powder measure. If it's missing you can check the container you last emptied powder back into.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20150120_093459_853_zpsa2e0a92e.jpg

Once you get it back together give this a read and you should be squared away (no pun intended).

http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/dillon_square_deal_b_manual_may_2007.pdf

1_Ogre
06-13-2016, 09:47 AM
I have a SDB that I bought used years ago for $178. Cleaned it up and it functions flawlessly. When you set up the primer seating, follow the instructions. I use my Mic's to ensure the settings are precise. I can load over 600/hr with no malfunctions, have the primer tubes preloaded and it's just getting into a routine. You may want to call Dillon as they will spend literally hours with you on the phone to ensure that it's done right. My powder measure has never been off more than 1/10 of a grain from start to over 600rnds later. For the taper crimp on semi auto rounds, I go to the loading manuals and get the crimped deminsions, then set my crimp die until those deminisions are correct and it's off to the races. Progressive presses are a lot different than a Rock Chucker, they have to be set up properly initially or you will have problems. I've loaded well over 100,000 rounds through mine (most likely several times that many) and as long as I keep it clean, lubed, and check adjustments, I couldn't ask for a better press.
I like mine so much that I have cal conversions pre-set in tool heads for 380, 9mm, 38, 357, 40S&W, 10mm, 41Mag, 45ACP, 45LC, 44Spl and 44Mag. Change tool head and cal conversion items, primer feed from LP to SP if needed or visa versa, then set up the powder charge and it's good to go.

bdicki
06-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Pretty sure it's me. The only other progressive press's I've ever used were shotgun press's and all of them have been ready to go from the factory.

About the lack of flaring on the 9mm case's, yea I know. Pulled a couple bullet's and found the PC removed on one side of the bullet. Finally got the flare adjusted but to much now! Have to loosen a screw on the collar around that die. Then I had to take a pocket knife and open the collar up so I could turn the die, not a lot of room for turning it! I had trouble with the bullet seater also and a pain to adjust. I think the problem is I adjust on one case and if it needs re-adjusted, have to run the same case all the way around again to do it on the same case. PITA! Think I will sell it but someone that can come get it. Don't want to have to pack it up to ship. Then UPS is 35 mi from here.
Where are you located, maybe someone close could come over and help you get it going. I would if close enough.

Don Fischer
06-13-2016, 11:03 AM
You can set the SD so it will flare the case so much it's ruined, like the one on top of the tool head in this photo. If your having issues, make sure the plastic bushing is still in the powder measure. If it's missing you can check the container you last emptied powder back into.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20150120_093459_853_zpsa2e0a92e.jpg

Once you get it back together give this a read and you should be squared away (no pun intended).

http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon%20Manual%20PDFs/dillon_square_deal_b_manual_may_2007.pdf

I had a 650. Came dissembled bed with a manual. Blew my mind trying to figure it out so I sold it right away. Guy that bought it did get it together and liked it. I am not that good with machine's that have a lot of part's and to much move's all at the same time. To many people love their Dillion for me to believe it's the tool. I can run my computer, sort of, too until something goes wrong.

imashooter2
06-13-2016, 05:08 PM
A man's got to know his limitations.

Walter Laich
06-14-2016, 09:30 AM
that's why we have Chevys and Fords

Lloyd Smale
06-15-2016, 07:10 AM
I love them too. Had 4 at one time. Lost them in a fire. If there not reliable enough for you maybe you should just stick with a single stage because your not going to find a progressive much more reliable and easy to use short of a 1050.
I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I love my Square Deal presses.

EddieNFL
06-15-2016, 07:55 PM
that's why we have Chevys and Fords

If you can't drive a Chevy , doubt you'd fare any better in a Ford.

Budzilla 19
06-15-2016, 08:25 PM
I got two of them and three caliber conversions, so, I love em too, I guess!! Plus I have a RL 500B also, so yeah, blue for me! BUT, I also have two RCBS RCII presses for the big stuff. You should give this thing a real chance, it's a heck of a press and will last forever. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

Dodge Cummins Diesel for me only!! (best diesel engine, worlds worst truck, till the new ones of course)!!! That should fan the flames!!! Hahahaha!!!

birddog
06-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Don,
Call Dillon's tech support, best phone call you'll have and let them now you don't know s*#! about this press, that way they now where to start. These guys are very good and know their equipment even better. Don't give up to soon!!!!
Charlie

Budzilla,
I will agree with you on the cummins, have an 05 and had to replace the tranny this winter, had Randall's Perf of Gladstone, IL do the work. None better is all I can say about the crew there and the replacement tranny was a Goerend rebuild with billet parts and that is well worth the cost also!!!!!!
;);)

birddog
06-15-2016, 08:45 PM
Sorry Don didn't mean to hyjack the thread, please call Dillon
Charlie

472x1B/A
06-15-2016, 09:19 PM
I'm with everyone else here on giving the Dillon manual a good reading. I have two SDB's, one for .45's and .38 spls.. After getting a manual and reading it front to back, then again with the presses in front of me, doing the adjustments to my liking everything was smooth sailing. I can now do the rated 100++ per hour, easy. Give the manual a chance.

W.R.Buchanan
06-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Since we've beat this to death, lets talk Cummins Motors now! :mrgreen:

I'm pretty heavily into Diesel and have a VW Touareg TDI, Passat TDI, and 95 Dodge 1T Cummins. I also have a Jeep build in progress (9 years) with a 4BT.

Cummins good, and anyone who has ran one knows they are practically indestructible.

Randy

Alvarez Kelly
06-17-2016, 07:59 PM
NICE Jeep project Randy. I am quite green right now!