PDA

View Full Version : My "NEW" 36 Marlin

The Dust Collector
05-17-2008, 11:31 PM
I’ve been collecting what I consider classic American deer rifles most of my life. If they’re not close to perfect when I purchase them I “normally” pass on them. I DO appreciate a good project gun! So there is that exception.
I would drive a “Safe Trophy” collector insane. I won’t own a firearm that I can’t shoot…. And I do shoot them to be sure! Hunting as well.
My point ? I have been looking for mint 1936 Marin for years, and I found one! It’s a 36A in 85 - 90 % condition. 30 - 30 WCF.
I bought it from the original owner. He told me that he thought that he would like to try deer hunting. He tried it and didn’t like it, so he put the rifle away. The time came that cash came into question with his financial situation and the decision was made to sell, so I was told. I was in the perfect place and time when I found that he was selling it. I asked, he said $450, I said DONE! I’m all smiles for sure!
Now to the real good part……. With a RCBS 30 -150 - FN backed by a CCI LR primer and 29 grains of IMR 3031. Open sights now mind you, I got a 3”, 9 shot group at 75 yards. At my age I still am not in need of eye glasses, but still you older gents know what I am saying. This non micro-groove rifling ( Ballard type ) leaves nothing to be desired!
I have done a search for posts on the 36 Marlin but have found little. Are these rifles that few and far in between?
I don’t collect for monetary value, I have them because they please me.
FWIW

Your thoughts are appreciated……. Dust

BruceB
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM
DC, pard;

My Model 36 is a "sort-of" .32 Special, made in 1947. It's a standard 20" carbine with full-length magazine, and is in very nice condition indeed.

It now has a Redfield receiver sight mounted, along with a Lyman 17 front sight with interchangeable sighting inserts.

I say it's a "sort-of " .32 Special, because while Winchesters of that chambering run to .321" groove diameters and 1-in-16" twist, the Marlins of this vintage and chambering, or at least SOME of them, are around .318" groove diameter and 1-in-10" twist. Mine is one of these oddballs, and as Sundog remarked at the time I got it, what I really have is a "fat .30-30". Exactly.

Anyway, it shoots quite nicely, and I greatly admire the design and workmanship of the M36 rifles. My .35 Marlin is a 336 from only a couple years later, built in 1950. After a certain amount of comparison, I believe the 36 is a bit smoother and I DO like the neat appearance of that flat bolt in the receiver, compared to the round-bolt 336.

Neither rifle is anywhere near "mint" condition, but both are very nice externally and both have perfect bores. Fun rifles, indeed. You are blessed to have that M36. SHOOT IT!

Shootn
05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I have a model 36 Marlin and I love it. Mine shoots great with the RCBS 180fn and 30 grains of W748. Mine has a receiver sight also. Very smooth rifle. I'm not a collector, but I have a idea that there were not a lot of these rifles made. Mine dates to 1946 and the 336 came out in 1948, I think. I don't think they made any during the War. I'd have a hard time not buying another one if I ever had the chance. They don't seem to turn up much.

Denver
05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
I've got a Model 36 ADL with 24 inch barrel and 2/3 magazine in 30/30 that's in great shape and unaltered, but with the usual blue wear and dings in the wood. I bought it off of the Auction Arms site about a year ago. Haven't done a lot of work with it yet with CBs, but one load that shoots great is the Lee C309-150 FP over 11.2 grs IMR4756. It's just under 1500 fps, but is very accurate in this rifle. I'm still waiting for my Ranch Dog 6 cav 165fp mold to show up[smilie=1: as I want to try it in this gun. The 36s do seem to be rather scarce as I've never come across one for sale locally and don't know anyone who has one. I know I won't be letting go of mine anytime soon.

:castmine: