PDA

View Full Version : First project gun! Marlin model 60

DerekP Houston
06-11-2016, 11:33 PM
*duplicate post sorry guys*

Well it was bound to happen eventually I have found myself a barrel/action for free and now need a stock! The only info my grandfather had was that my uncle had taken it apart and planned to replace the broken stock. Poor thing is covered in wood glue and snapped at the transition to hand grip (not sure terminology). For now, my plan is to drop a small dowel in the crack and use that to repair as best I can just to see if I can get it functional. After I know it is mechanically sound I'll replace the broken stock with a proper one.

Now my actual question, where is a decent/cheap place to acquire rifle stock blanks? I did a brief boyd's search and google, but I can't justify 100+ on a 22lr that was free to me....I don't need anything fancy it will be a boyscout/toy rifle for my son eventually. Is there somewhere that sells "blemished" or "seconds" that would be more inexpensive? I know I'll have to hand fit and sand everything.

spoke to soon, found a cheapy on the 'bay. On to field stripping and cleaning!

Glenfield Model 60 - one of the Model 60 versions manufactured from 1966 to 1982

Der Gebirgsjager
06-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Take some before, during, and after photos!

LAGS
06-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Try Gun Parts Corp.
Also ask around at Pawn Shops and gun shops.
There are lots of guys that went to plastic stocks, and there old wood one is still servicable.
They are out there, and you can always try your hand a fitting a stock from a similar model 22 to your action with carving, inletting and glass bed filling.
I have done it many a time on rifles where no stocks could be found, but another model stock I got for free.

plus1hdcp
06-13-2016, 06:47 PM
It might be a shot in the dark but post a wanted to buy in this forum. Someone must have one laying around in their shop. Good luck on your project.

popper
06-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Hint - tape a split plastic soda straw around the recoil spring to keep it from kinking when re-installing. Seems like the older ones have a tighter chamber that has trouble with modern ammo. Put the new type buffer in it - the old one doesn't last long.