PDA

View Full Version : First project gun! Marlin model 60

DerekP Houston
06-11-2016, 11:09 PM
Well it was bound to happen eventually I have found myself a barrel/action for free and now need a stock! The only info my grandfather had was that my uncle had taken it apart and planned to replace the broken stock. Poor thing is covered in wood glue and snapped at the transition to hand grip (not sure terminology). For now, my plan is to drop a small dowel in the crack and use that to repair as best I can just to see if I can get it functional. After I know it is mechanically sound I'll replace the broken stock with a proper one.

Now my actual question, where is a decent/cheap place to acquire rifle stock blanks? I did a brief boyd's search and google, but I can't justify 100+ on a 22lr that was free to me....I don't need anything fancy it will be a boyscout/toy rifle for my son eventually. Is there somewhere that sells "blemished" or "seconds" that would be more inexpensive? I know I'll have to hand fit and sand everything.

HangFireW8
06-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Keep an eye on Boyd's, they have seconds, blems and returns on special every now and then.

Another option is eBay and the gun auction sites.

zubrato
06-12-2016, 01:07 AM
Haven't checked there in a little while but look at Numrich, be aware that the Marlin 60 had like 3-4 changes in the trigger guard design which can limit stock compatibility. Probably the best way to get a handle on the whole thing is have a look at aftermarket triggerguards from DIP, since they show which trigger guards fit which stock.

While you've got the thing gutted, I'd replace the recoil spring (buy 2-3, easy to bend them up), the new improved black rubber recoil buffer, new firing pin(have also gone through 2-3 gens), and an aftermarket charging handle from DIP.

I also got the DIP flat faced trigger with adjusted pre travel and did a little stoning on the sear and all moving components.
I will say tho, I've put an insane amount of work into this little 22, including rotating the tube, polishing the bolt and inside the receiver, removing rough edges from the ejection port, polishing rails, hammer face, sear engagement surfaces, adding tech sights.... I've neglected 22's for such a long time that I've fallen hard for this little 17rd semi auto 22.

dont mean to adverstise for the DIP guy, it's just that Marlin aftermarket is tiny to nonexistant, and I'm very happy with the quality of his products, and have long forgotten the price.

DerekP Houston
06-12-2016, 01:14 AM
Cool thanks for all the info guys!

It is a "glenfield model 60" from approx 1970s guessing from when my uncle would have purchased and the markings on the barrel. I found a matching stock just have to see if I win in my price range.

I did find there were a few differences during my field strip vs the youtube video I was using for instructions, but it came apart easy enough. Other than some grime and build up I imagine it has sat untouched since his passing ~15 years ago and who knows when it was broken prior to that. If the replacement stock turns out to be more expensive that its worth I can always get some acraglass and give the brownell kit a try. From appearances the only repair attempted was a huge amount of wood glue which failed to bond the 2 pieces back together. I'm definitely going to take a look at the DIP trigger, this one feels gritty and I'm not sure if all the pieces are here. Will find out more as I go!

Found a tiny little JM proof on the barrel after a thorough wipe down too!

zubrato
06-12-2016, 01:44 AM
When I first got mine, the trigger was literally 12 lbs and gritty, until I gave it a thorough cleaning of the trigger assembly and it came down to 7-8lbs. However, biggest difference in trigger pull was trimming 1.5 coils off the hammer spring, and working over the sear engagement surfaces until I got down to a happy 4.5lb smooth trigger. The biggest advantage the DIP trigger gives is it makes the trigger pull feel lighter due to it's shape.

Best video I've found is here (and I've looked!)
https://youtu.be/3oF8QHgVzH8
This dude is very highly respected amongst the marlin crowd on rimfire central.

ps, that stock cracking where you describe is actually very common among the older rifles, and you will find the newer stocks have a screw in the stock just after the trigger guard like in the uppermost stock. (top down, newest to oldest)

Sounds like a great project, keep us updated!

DerekP Houston
06-12-2016, 01:51 AM
Cool thanks head honcho Zubrato :D. The broken stock matches the bottom one in your picture, I've read all about how to fix it...just waiting for parts!. Still trying to figure out how to reattach the trigger and I'll need a set of screws to go with the new stock.

jcren
06-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Rifle-stocks.com has a huge range of styles, colors and plain or fancy in 90% fit for most actions. Haven't used them myself yet but I will be.

John Taylor
06-12-2016, 09:38 AM
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.XMarlin +model+60+stock.TRS0&_nkw=Marlin+model+60+stock&_sacat=0

fatelk
06-13-2016, 09:36 PM
I repaired/rebuilt a Marlin 60 stock for a friend many years ago, that had been busted into pieces. He actually gave it to me for parts, thinking it was unfixable. He was surprised when I gave it back to him repaired. It wasn't the best looking repair back then but I've learned a lot in the last couple decades.

You'll be surprised at what you can do with a broken stock, pins, dowels, and epoxy, once you get some know-how.

DerekP Houston
06-14-2016, 02:28 PM
I priced out the pins and acraglass kit from brownells, by the time it was all said and done ordering a replacement stock off ebay was cheaper. I have an original 1978 with all parts on its way for $60, not a bad deal imho. From the break down everything appears in good working order, no bent/kinked spring or rust anywhere.

Here's the original parts as I received it.

DerekP Houston
06-17-2016, 09:47 PM
New stock arrived today in good condition, fits perfect. didn't realize I was missing the 3 screws for the trigger guard so just waiting on those now. functioned just fine after cleaning the assorted goop and grime out of the action.

fatelk
06-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a winner! I really like those model 60s, great shooters. Looks like that old stock could have been repaired, but it wouldn't be a real easy fix and I don't blame you for buying a new one.

DerekP Houston
06-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a winner! I really like those model 60s, great shooters. Looks like that old stock could have been repaired, but it wouldn't be a real easy fix and I don't blame you for buying a new one.

Well, like I said, it was the same price to buy the repair kit + acraglass or to just get a used stock. I chose the easier route, though I may give repairing the other one a try too. Just waiting on the 3 screw + nut to attach the trigger guard and it'll be ready to shoot.

fatelk
06-18-2016, 05:31 PM
If you do eventually do a repair, I've had good results from just using a $4 tube of Two Ton Epoxy from Walmart, and simple home made pins.

Many years ago I worked for a rifle smith who turned me on to the two-ton epoxy. He builds a lot of very expensive world-class rifles, and went through a lot of it.

DerekP Houston
06-26-2016, 03:24 PM
Here she is all cleaned up and finished, just need a trip to the range with it now.

zubrato
06-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Lookin good! Sweet little guns and just in time! Starting to see 22 ammo come back and sales are popping up on federal and cci.
Marlins are hungry little things!

DerekP Houston
07-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Ok so not a true test of a rifle, but @ 20yrds and function test, I'd call that a freaking sweet little gun! Kinda proud of my first official repair job. This happens to be the 17 rnd magazine. I'm pumped for a $70 gun, this is going in the safe for my son when he gets old enough.

I'll note this was with the cheap remington "golden" bullets as well, a single stove pipe ejection got stuck during the function test, approx 100rnds fired.

petroid
07-01-2016, 07:43 PM
Older marlin 60s and glenfields are notorious for stovepiping when cycling. If you notice this issue, you'll want to get the feed ramp upgrade kit. It is available from Numrich and maybe Brownells. You replace the original two piece feedramp with an updated one piece unit as well as the spring and case lifter. The older two piece feedramps would work themselves apart over the years and cause many jams. Trust me, if it is a problem, you'll know it, and you'll want to get it fixed right away.

DerekP Houston
07-01-2016, 08:01 PM
oh, thanks for the tip petroid! It was only a single round, and it didn't sound quite as "loud" as the others so i assumed it was just a partial dud from the box. Will give it a few more trips and see if it happens with other brands of 22lr, otherwise I will order that replacement part. Man I love the knowledge on this site.