PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets jam against barrel when loading from magazine

Brother_Love
06-11-2016, 03:43 PM
I have 358 Winchester that I just had re-bored. When I try load from the magazine the cast bullet jams against the barrel. If I drop a round in on top of the mag it chambers correctly. When I remove the bolt and look at the barrel I can see a sharp edge in the barrel throat. Can the barrel be chamfered a little with out safety issues? Is it something I can do myself? I would appreciate you input, thank you. BL

Scharfschuetze
06-11-2016, 08:37 PM
What rifle is this problem on?

When I remove the bolt and look at the barrel I can see a sharp edge in the barrel throat.

Do you mean at the base of the chamber or the feed ramp?

If so, you can polish your feed ramp or slightly bevel the breach slightly to ease the passage of the larger meplat of the 358. Don't take much off though as you may loose some support for the base of the case. Just try to polish the offending area of metal.

Another option is to try a boolit design with a sharper ogive and smaller meplat or nose.

Brother_Love
06-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Thank you.

It is a Mossberg Patriot. The bullet is catching the top edge of the camber. It is a flat point bullet and I am already considering another bullet design. I would chamfer the barrel a little but I do not want to remove the barrel. The edge of the chamber appears to be pretty much a 90 degree angle.

243winxb
06-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Sounds like the magazine needs adjustment. Fixed or removable type? What cartridge was it before it was modified.? Can the OAL be made shorter?

Brother_Love
06-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Detachable plastic mag. It was a 243 in its former life.

I thought about making the opening in the mag a little wider so the cartridge would pop out earlier in the push stroke. It would end up more perpendicular to the bore that way. Thanks

243winxb
06-11-2016, 09:47 PM
Case body is about the same. Should work , my guess. If the magazine had metal lips, i would try to adjust them. The 35s OAL is a lot longer compared to the 243?? I would make 3 dummy rounds and watch how they load from the magazine. Its something that really has to be seen in person . Sorry not much help.

Brother_Love
06-11-2016, 10:33 PM
I think I got 243winxb. I made 5 dummy rounds and they are chambered except the last one, every time. I stuck my little finger in there too feel any sharp edges and the edge of the feed ramp drew blood. I used a fine stone Dremel point to smooth it out and then buffed to a mirror shine with rouge. Two magazines full chambered as fast as I could and all 10 fed great.
Thanks to everyone, BL