PDA

View Full Version : Who holds the record for longest time leaving casting pot on by accident?

Drew P
06-11-2016, 10:25 AM
My personal record is up to 1 hour

williamwaco
06-11-2016, 10:26 AM
several days.

tazman
06-11-2016, 10:38 AM
overnight

shredder
06-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Couple of hours. Felt pretty stupid. Made a mess of my alloy.

Preacher Jim
06-11-2016, 12:26 PM
7 hours my mgread pid maintained the temp whole time. Was great full for pid cause old pot control doesn't work sat down and cast the lead no problem

Kraschenbirn
06-11-2016, 02:20 PM
24 hours. Forgot to unplug when I wrapped up for the night and wasn't back in my workshop until after supper the next evening. When I noticed the pot was still plugged in, I sat down, fluxed the pot, preheated a mold, and continued where I left off the night before.

Bill

fecmech
06-11-2016, 02:29 PM
I haven't left the lead pot on but did leave the iron on(very low) for more than a day on my lubrisizer plate. Does that count??

DerekP Houston
06-11-2016, 02:32 PM
I've done overnight....felt like an idiot the next morning when I saw the light on the surge protector on. Hard skin on the top which I assumed was oxidized tin/lead. Fluxed with corncob media (handy) and a drop of wax fixed it right up. I assume the only damage was to my electric bill.

My personal record is up to 1 hour

an hour? heck sometimes that's how long it takes me to get everything else squared away so I can go cast when the lead is hot! I don't like to sit out there watching the temp slowly climb so I'll flick it on and head back into the AC until it is ready. Was much more fun casting during the "cooler" Texas months. Someone else mentioned in a thread they cast in the winter and reload in the summer; I may have to copy that idea in the future.

WFO2
06-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I hear that DerekP gonna try and cast a few on the morning from sunup to about nine or so .

gwpercle
06-11-2016, 07:09 PM
My son wired my reloading shed. When you turn the lights off....everything goes off , as long as I turn off the lights when I leave, which I usually do , I can't leave it on.
But at least I have lights and receptacles and he didn't charge me anything.
Gary

bigjake
06-11-2016, 08:41 PM
It wasn't my casting pot, It was a 9mm lee mold. I have a small old 2 burner hot plate/stove that I use to pre-heat my molds before I cast. well, somehow I manage to leave it cooking over the darn thing on high for about 8 hrs. needless to say, that mold is toast, pun intended.

TXGunNut
06-11-2016, 09:50 PM
So far I haven't. Sometimes my brass gets really shiny, tho. ;-)

scottfire1957
06-11-2016, 09:56 PM
I haven't done that yet, but I did lose about 12 beers today because I left the drain valve open when transfering from the fermenter to the bottling bucket.[smilie=b:

warpspeed
06-11-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure it was at least 3 days but it could have been longer-

bangerjim
06-11-2016, 10:46 PM
I fixed my casting setup so the 10GA extension cord I plug the pot runs right in front of the door to my shop. Since I cast outside year round, I would have to almost trip over the cord if I left it plugged in when done.

Forethought prevents screw-ups.

MarkP
06-11-2016, 10:52 PM
Left the pot on a few hours....... I have left my tumbler on for 3 days; I came home after a long weekend and could not figure out the noise in the basement. The brass in the tumbler sure was shiny the annealing colors were completely removed.

Doggonekid
06-12-2016, 12:09 AM
I never left my pot on but I have left my RCBS tumbler on for two weeks. When I turned it off it would never come back on again. I sent it back to RCBS and they fixed it and sent it back to me. No charge. Been using it for about 12 years since. You can't say nutting bad about RCBS customer service.

TXGunNut
06-12-2016, 12:53 AM
You can't say nutting bad about RCBS customer service...Doggonekid

I could, but I'd be lying and no one would believe me. I should have bought the RCBS tumble last time. Maybe next time.

rancher1913
06-12-2016, 06:47 AM
the local black powder store in Denver burned up because he left his casting pot on all the time. sucks cause he was the only shop that sold real black powder in the state of Colorado that I know of.

Blackwater
06-12-2016, 04:30 PM
This one is one that I haven't done ....... yet. With the memory starting to go, it's just a matter of time, though. And now that you've mentioned it, you've probably jinxed me! That's my story, anyway, and I'm stickin' with it! [smilie=l:

Shiloh
06-12-2016, 05:03 PM
I usually cast a pot at a time so, not yet.

Shiloh

DerekP Houston
06-12-2016, 05:10 PM
I usually cast a pot at a time so, not yet.

Shiloh

I usually have that intention...and then the mold starts raining boolits and I refill the pot a few times ;). Is it me or does it ALWAYS start casting smooth right when you are ready to stop.

fastdadio
06-12-2016, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys, now I don't feel so dumb. Two stories here; First, While I didn't leave my pot on, I did confuse the plug on the bench with the plug for my battery charger. (they were side x side) Meant to plug in the charger but plugged in the pot instead. The bad thing is that I had a towel laying atop of the pot. Luckily, I came back to the garage after about and hour and it was smoky in there. Disaster avoided by luck! And yes, I have left my tumbler running for 24 hours more than once. So here's my cure for our old timers disease. I wired a timed switch to an outlet on an extension cord. So now I just plug into that, set it for about two hours for the tumbler and walk away. Works great. Here's a link to the timer I bought;
https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Style-Sringwound-Switch-Length/dp/B008KNSPZQ/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1465783274&sr=8-14&keywords=time+switches