PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast in Dixie

Ole Joe Clarke
06-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Today is "real" breakfast day at our house.

Homemade biscuits, eggs, sausage or bacon, fig preserves or crab apple jelly, coffee, fresh jalapeno peppers on the side. Sometimes I get gravy too. Thank God my wife is feeling better and is able to bless me with this good cooking.

If the wind is right you might be able to smell the sausage. :-)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

square butte
06-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Oh now - Your gonna make me cry. I still miss my Grandma's fig preserves

Preacher Jim
06-11-2016, 09:25 AM
Sure miss those country breakfast days, do not miss the shocking hay and forking it on a wagon.

Shiloh
06-11-2016, 09:57 AM
Do you have country ham?? I soak mine in water for a day to leach out the salt. It is still salty but at least edible.

Shiloh

Ole Joe Clarke
06-11-2016, 11:31 AM
No country ham here, wish there was.

Char-Gar
06-11-2016, 11:59 AM
It seems that in Texas, folks are in love with the "breakfast taco". I hate, loath and abominate those things and can't abide the look or smell of them, much less the taste. I mentioned this to my wife this morning and she said "I was true to my Southern roots". I prefer the aforementioned victals to any of the faux Meskin crapola.

William Yanda
06-11-2016, 03:26 PM
Hey Char, won't you tell us how you really feel? Would you agree that the OP left out grits?
Bill

twc1964
06-11-2016, 03:30 PM
I have to agree with the o.p. o loves me a good country breakfast even if it's for dinner lol. But......I do get a hankering for real deal meskin breakfast tacos....sorry char-gar.

farmerjim
06-11-2016, 03:31 PM
Hey Char, won't you tell us how you really feel? Would you agree that the OP left out grits?
Bill
He must be in North Alabama. Not South enough for grits. It ant Breakfast without real Grits.

Ithaca Gunner
06-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Reminds me of when I was one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children, a heaping pile of home fries with eggs over easy on top and the whole thing smothered in Southern sausage gravy! How I loved my last two years at Quantico, best rations ever!

Ole Joe Clarke
06-11-2016, 04:56 PM
No, I'm not that far North! :-) I have grits, toast and coffee 5 days a week sometimes.

farmerjim
06-11-2016, 05:03 PM
I only have them one day a week. My wife is from Canada and does not like grits. One of her few faults.

buckwheatpaul
06-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Leon, if you will publish your address you will have a line of visitors longer than you care for or can feed......

gwpercle
06-11-2016, 06:59 PM
It seems that in Texas, folks are in love with the "breakfast taco". I hate, loath and abominate those things and can't abide the look or smell of them, much less the taste. I mentioned this to my wife this morning and she said "I was true to my Southern roots". I prefer the aforementioned victals to any of the faux Meskin crapola.

Breakfast Taco's are an abomination to proper eating. I don't like them and call them an insult to a proper Southern breakfast.
A proper breakfast must contain properly cooked grits , biscuits , a meat of your choice and eggs , ( I like mine over easy) and
Dark roast coffee. Gravy is nice but not a necessity .
Gary

DougGuy
06-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Yep, OP left out grits.. Shame too!

We got "designer" grits from Barkley's Mill in NC, it's their heirloom white "dent" corn that they grow organically, then hand pick the dark kernels off each ear, then stone grind coarse, you can get bolted or unbolted (sifted) I got one of each and mixed them.

Then we got grits from Anson Mills in SC, stone ground coarse from "pencil cob corn" which was a variety popular in the antebellum days with the moonshiners, brought back and cultivated by Glen Roberts and sold by Anson Mills. This stuff, oh dang is it GOOD!

So now I mix them together and have never had grits quite so good as these. Pricey yes. Unequalled, definitely.. You either loves grits or you don't..

Grits
06-11-2016, 07:40 PM
You either loves grits or you don't..

Not breakfast but, I called the wife on the way home from work one night to see what we were having for dinner.

Wife told me pork chops but she didn't have any potatoes or rice. I asked her if she had some grits. Yep we got grits. I told her to cook some grits and green beans to go with the pork chops.

That was as fine a meal as I have ever eaten. Pork chops, grits and green beans.

Grits are not for breakfast only.

Blackwater
06-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Oh Joe! You made my heart go pitty pat with your OP! I can't have grits or biscuits any more, but I surely DO miss them mightily! Nowadays, it's just eggs, bacon or sausage or ham, and a piece of some kind of bread that doesn't spike my blood sugar, decaf coffee with @ 1/3 tsp. of sugar and creamer. And now I'm even cutting down on the sugar and creamer! But it's still my favorite meal of the day, most days. Gives me the little boost I need to get going. And I'd really, really, really be lost without my eggs and bacon. Of course, that's what I said about the grits and biscuits, too, though. Did I mention how much I miss those two?

yancey
06-11-2016, 09:01 PM
Today is "real" breakfast day at our house.

Homemade biscuits, eggs, sausage or bacon, fig preserves or crab apple jelly, coffee, fresh jalapeno peppers on the side. Sometimes I get gravy too. Thank God my wife is feeling better and is able to bless me with this good cooking.

If the wind is right you might be able to smell the sausage. :-)

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Now your talking ! Nothing like Breakfast in Dixie .

MT Gianni
06-11-2016, 10:09 PM
It is funny but two fried eggs will last me from 5:45 AM until noon. Add some carbs to that and I am ready to eat a horse @ 10:00 AM. I can get by with a little bit of them if I fry some flour tortillas and add them to a jalapeno onion egg mix but usually a slice of provolone on top is plenty for me.

rking22
06-11-2016, 11:38 PM
Never knew there was "designer grits" !!!, hope Amazon has them, I love this forum :)
I had plain ole jalapeno cheddar cheese grits for supper last night, nothing like a good southern breakfast. Need gravy and biscuits to go with my grits, bacon and eggs.

40-82 hiker
06-12-2016, 12:26 AM
You all made me really hungry with this thread. Late at night, no less!

Still love my grits for breakfast! Usually make enough for leftover to fry the next morning, getting the slices as crisp as possible.

I roasted some jalapenos once and stuffed them with sliced grits and cheese, then slid them in the oven a few minutes. I couldn't get much in them, but heck if they weren't good! Need to do that again...

This morning I made us buckwheat pancakes, fried ham, and a couple of eggs. Good eats!

762 shooter
06-12-2016, 06:46 AM
Yesterday I ate like a King.

Bowl of grits, over easy egg on top with country ham covered with red-eye gravy.

Ummmm. May have grits and cheese with salmon croquettes for supper next week.

smokeywolf
06-12-2016, 08:17 AM
Born and raised in SoCal, I reckon I'm a yank. But, Mom was a Southern girl and Dad was old fashioned meat and potatoes. Weekend breakfasts often included grits. Mom wasn't much of a cook. She did, ham, homemade pizza, grits, barley soup, lentil soup and a few others quite well. Pork chops, liver and pretty much any other meat would be fried to shoe leather or incinerated in the oven.

I do miss her grits.

I cook breakfast on school mornings. I like cooking for the family and am of the opinion that children should get a hot breakfast before school. I have no idea what a "breakfast taco" is, but I do make juevos rancheros.

I also will take mashed potatoes left over from dinner and warm them a little in microwave, then drop them into a fry pan, flatten them out, heat them the rest of the way, sprinkle shredded cheese and bacon bits on them, then drop a couple of fried eggs on top. Kids also get a small portion of homemade yogurt and a fruit or fruit juice.

At least 3 mornings out of five I serve either bacon, ham, sausage or steak with breakfast.

Reminds me. When I was a kid, I frequently fried my own eggs. Learned to do it when I was 6. In those days eggs usually came with the milk and cottage cheese delivered by the milk man. What ever happened to eggs with double yokes. Would usually see one out of maybe 3 dozen eggs with double yokes. Haven't seen a double yoke in at least 20 years now. What the heck happened to that?

farmerjim
06-12-2016, 02:10 PM
I get some double yokes when I buy Jumbo eggs. I would get them sometimes when I raised some New Hampshire Reds. My favorite eggs are Guinea eggs. Small, hard shell, And mostly all yoke. I had a hundred or so of them once and I turned them loose. It took about 6 months for the coons and other animals to get them all. I haven't had a Guinea egg in about 10 years. Nobody raises them for eggs around here anymore.

Blackwater
06-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Smokey, you made me laugh. I remembered making a small spectacle of myself in grocery stores 3 times in the past. Two were in San Diego at the PX grocery store, when I found some bedraggled turnips (mostly roots there!) and a 2nd time when I found some rudabegas. When I saw them (only time in over a year I ever found any in the PX), I rather loudly told my wife, "Look! Turnips!" and "Look! Rudabegas!" People turned and looked at me like I had 3 heads!

The 3rd time was in either Kansas or Indiana, when on a business trip. I found a pk. of Jim Dandy Quick Grits, and for a 3rd time in a grocery store, loudly proclaimed, "Look! Grits!!!" People looked at me, started crossing themselves, and hurried to the checkout, lest whatever I had might be contagious! But gee golly wow was I one happy man! When we ate quick meals, I kept a packet or two in my inside pocket of my suit, and a couple of times, got diners or whoever to fix them for me. It was SO wonderful to get some "staples" in a "foreign" environment!

Now that I almost never eat them, I have to take my thrills vicariously from those who still can. I really, really miss them, BIG time!

Shiloh
06-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Breakfast burrito with a side of menudo. Had that in Killeen Near the east gate of Ft. Hood.

Shiloh

DLCTEX
06-13-2016, 12:14 AM
Big difference in taco and burrito. You can make a breakfast burrito however you want. I like sausage, egg, cheese, green chilies, and onion in a flour tortilla. I have eaten the above with hash browns mixed in. Some substitute charrizo for the pork sausage. Whatever floats your boat.
Darn spellcheck keeps changing charrizo to charcoal.

johnson1942
06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
the first 7 years of my life my mom and dad lived with my dads norweigen parents on their farm. every morning for breakfast we had slices of home made bread toasted lightly with thick farm fresh sour cream piled on the toast and then cokecherry syrup on the sour cream. one year we got a hold of a 5 gallon pail of clover honey. that was a norwegien breakfast, still eat it now and then. the farm fresh sour cream was better though. had no fridge in those days, put every thing cream included in containers and then in a bucket and that went down in the well on a rope. kept every thing nice a cool. norweigens loved their cream in the old days. we made our own butter also and we drank a lot of butter milk also.

sundog
06-14-2016, 06:01 PM
Grits is mighty fine fare. Home made biscuits and blackstrap or honey, and ham and eggs. Dark roast coffee.

Charles, even though I will tolerate an occasional 'breakfast burrito' while on the run, I would much prefer to sit down to much more traditional style southwest breakfast something like huevos rancheros or huevos divorciados, frijoles refritos, y arroz espanol, and tortillas, of course.

Char-Gar
06-15-2016, 10:05 AM
I grew up and still live in Deep South Texas, hard against the Mexican border. Grits did not make it this far into Texas. The first bowl of grits I ever ate, was in June of 1957 at a cafe in Chattanooga, Tenn. They tasted like library paste, but a fellow sitting next to me told me to put salt, pepper and butter in them. I did and have liked them ever since, except I am likely to add some shredded cheese as well.

Corky...I like a traditional Mexican sit down breakfast as well. Most of them time I will have either Chiliquilas or Mexican Tacos. Mexican tacos or tacos al carbon, are shaved beef, white cheese, cilantro, grilled onions and some lime to squeeze on top. If you use pork instead of beef they are called tacos al pastor. Some places they are called tacos estilo Jalisco (Jalisco style). Whatever they are called, they are wonderful.

What most folks call tacos, tortilla, spiced ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes and yellow cheese is pure Tex-Mex. American Tacos as they are sometimes called down here, as opposed to Mexican tacos.

I am not against real Mexican food or Tex-Mex, but these "breakfast tacos" are neither. The locals gobble them up, poor fools! They are odious things!

All in all, my notion of a larapin good breakfast is biscuits, butter, grits, sawmill gravy, a couple of eggs and some kind of meat off a dead pig. The dead pig can be bacon, country ham or sausage. This is my default breakfast mode, true to my Southern roots. Dixie forever!!! God bless Texas !!!

Char-Gar
06-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Blackwater, Texans of any class do not eat rudabegas. Some of the lower socio-ecnomic class might eat a turnip ever now and them. Being a high toned sort of guy, I don't eat either. What kind of humans eat roots! :-)

Char-Gar
06-15-2016, 10:19 AM
Breakfast burrito with a side of menudo. Had that in Killeen Near the east gate of Ft. Hood.

Shiloh

Well bless your heart! And Mexican gut soup too! I don't eat ofal.

Blackwater
06-15-2016, 01:41 PM
Blackwater, Texans of any class do not eat rudabegas. Some of the lower socio-ecnomic class might eat a turnip ever now and them. Being a high toned sort of guy, I don't eat either. What kind of humans eat roots! :-)

Well, ever heard of yams or sweet potatoes, turnips (we always chop up the roots in the greens here, sometimes with LA hot sauce and pepper vinegar), or onions? There's also beets, too, and others. Funny story: While in San Diego, I had a friend who'd gone fishing in Lake Otay, and brought a couple of bass and crappie by my apt. for us, because he had no way to cook them living in the baracks. We were tickled to have them, and he'd stopped in the evening at supper time, and we already had the rutabegas cooked, and invited him to eat with us because it would be too late to eat at the mess hall. I asked him if he liked rutabegas, and he said yes, so we sat down to what my wife and I regarded as a sumptuous meal. He put a good helping on his plate, but little along, kind'a swirled his fork around in them, creating what looked like a hole in the center so it'd look like he'd eaten more than he had. I suspect he stopped and got a candy bar to hold him until breakfast the following day.

So yeah, I understand, but gee golly wow are ya' missin' some FINE eatin'! Not everybody here likes them either, so you're in good company, but people from all walks of life love and/or hate them. I'm just one of the ones who love them. And they tend to "stick to your ribs," kind'a like grits. Good fuel for some, not so much for others, but everything under the sun is like that, I guess. Some foods just moreso than others.

We cook them by chopping into cubes, boiling in some salt (just the right amount, and only experience will tailor your needs to your taste buds), and include some chicken stock or bullion. That bullion really makes them good!

And some are sweeter than others, too, as with so many other veggies. We do them simply, as described above, and serve them mashed, like potatoes. Some I've seen put butter in them, too. As a diabetic, they seem to mesh well with my needs now for both nutrition and low sugar/easily converted carb content. I guess I'm lucky I DO like them?

They might be similar to your experience with grits, which area also highly controversial. Everyone I've ever talked to who took them for cream of wheat, and put sugar in them, absolutely HATES them! Those who started off with salt, pepper and butter (after all, it's just corn) tend to really like them when they can find the right amount of each to put on them. Rutabegas might turn out to be similar for you. How they're prepared makes a HUGE difference, and that bullion/stock often turns folks into eaters who'd been haters. Sometimes, it's a slight difference that makes something very much more palatable. Then too, they may just not ever suit you, but if you want to try, that's what I'd offer for a suggestion. More for me if you don't!!! ;)

Ole Joe Clarke
06-15-2016, 06:43 PM
I sometimes joke about only liking food that starts with an "A", but when I was a kid growing up, that "A" meant ANYTHING. My dad was a sharecropper and sometimes there wasn't anything to share. Beans, cornbread and potatoes was our main food group. Of course everybody around us was poor, so we didn't know we were. I remember eating turtle, quail eggs, turnips and all sorts of things my Mom made up from what she had on hand.

One time that stands out, was when there was only cornmeal in the house and Mom made some kind of thin soup for us. Looking back, it must have been thin grits.

Times were hard, and then my Dad died at the young age of 49 from a stroke. But we made it, and I wouldn't take anything for the journey. One thing I regret is not being able to grow into a man and still have my Dad around. But, I plan on seeing him again one day.

Have a blessed evening,

Leon

smokeywolf
06-15-2016, 07:38 PM
OK, I can't get grits out of my head now. Used to just add butter to the grits Mom cooked and although they were good, I think I can do better.

Can some of you fine Southern gentlemen prescribe a brand of grits to buy; I'm assuming genuine stone ground is the best. White or yellow. And finally, your favorite way to prepare them.

Already looked on youtube and saw a couple of recipes that look quite good, but trust y'all more.

Grits
06-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Grits. All you need is butter and salt to taste. Thats for me.

Just like a 1911, grits are highly customizable. Whatever suits your taste.

MaryB
06-16-2016, 12:23 AM
I detest turnip root BUT the greens are fine eating! Only reason I plant them! I give the roots away in fall.

I sometimes joke about only liking food that starts with an "A", but when I was a kid growing up, that "A" meant ANYTHING. My dad was a sharecropper and sometimes there wasn't anything to share. Beans, cornbread and potatoes was our main food group. Of course everybody around us was poor, so we didn't know we were. I remember eating turtle, quail eggs, turnips and all sorts of things my Mom made up from what she had on hand.

One time that stands out, was when there was only cornmeal in the house and Mom made some kind of thin soup for us. Looking back, it must have been thin grits.

Times were hard, and then my Dad died at the young age of 49 from a stroke. But we made it, and I wouldn't take anything for the journey. One thing I regret is not being able to grow into a man and still have my Dad around. But, I plan on seeing him again one day.

Have a blessed evening,

Leon

Rick N Bama
06-18-2016, 11:38 AM
He must be in North Alabama. Not South enough for grits. It ant Breakfast without real Grits.

You have to go way north of North Alabama to not find Grits on the menu!

DLCTEX
06-19-2016, 04:24 PM
This Texan likes turnips, beets, sweet potatoes, and many other roots. I don't like chocolate, even when I was a kid.

Lance Boyle
06-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Ahh Smokeywolf yep those left over mashed taters make fine breakfast fixings.

I'll mince up some onion, add some salt and pepper, maybe some cayenne, some chopped green pepper if I have it, mix in some egg and some bread crumps and make my version of potato pancakes. Serve with ham and eggs and I'm in heaven....with some black coffee too.

I liked cream of wheat as kid with enough butter and maple. The grits didn't do much for me I'm afraid. They weren't bad, just didn't fit my idea of breakfast the way I grew up. Mom really liked us to get a hot meal before going off to school, usually oatmeal or CoW. Sometimes eggs and bacon but that was normally a Sunday breakfast thing; scrambled eggs, still love my mom's scrambled eggs, some bacon and toast and have an extra piece of toast just for some jam to make a petite dessert.

MaryB
06-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Up at the lake mom used to chop and fry off 3 pounds of bacon, then do a huge pan of scrambled eggs. She would sprinkle he bacon over, add cheese and cover until it melted. Filling food to get back out on the lake and fish more.

smokeywolf
06-19-2016, 10:38 PM
Eggs are great for keeping blood sugar in balance. Not so good for cholesterol. Like most things, give and take.

tdoor4570
06-20-2016, 09:10 AM
I can go with just about everything that has been listed to eat except Grits I wouldn't feed them to my hogs

Ole Joe Clarke
06-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Don't feed em to the hogs if you like bacon. :-) I like em. Whatever boils your water. :-)

Leon

mold maker
06-20-2016, 03:35 PM
When I was a youngster, Mom was up really early frying steak or chicken with rice or taters.
I used to make dried beef gravy with biscuits and apple jelly.
This Fathers day, i took my bride to Cracker Barrell for Uncle Hershel's Country breakfast of Country Ham, biscuits with sawmill gravy, eggs over easy, grits with butter and lots of hot coffee, and apple butter.
While it wasn't as good as I remember Moms, it was overwhelmingly delicious.
If my Dr. knew about it, he would burn my ears good.
This morning it was just oatmeal, wheat toast and sugar-free jelly with coffee.
An old man can only go out and eat like a king once in a while especially when dealing with a wheelchair from a pickup.

MaryB
06-20-2016, 10:50 PM
I need to make apple butter this fall, I miss that! It was a childhood staple in our house.

Lloyd Smale
06-21-2016, 06:27 AM
when I used to go home with my buddy from NC the thing I looked forward to for breakfast was grits with bacon grease on them. First time I saw them eat them I about gagged. First time I tried them I thought they were as good as candy!!!!!!!!! and that's a yankee talking. Another good breakfast thing the south brought us Yankees is sausage gravy. Until I went in the service I never heard of it and there wasn't a restaurant anywhere around here that had it. Now its everywhere. As a yankee theres one thing Ill never argue. You southern boys have mothers that can cook!!!!!!!!!

Ole Joe Clarke
06-21-2016, 08:43 AM
My Mother was a wonderful cook. Egg custard, pound cake, breakfast, dinner or supper. It didn't matter, she could make do with a little and make it taste out of this world. My Wonderful Wife can do the same thing.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

OnHoPr
06-21-2016, 09:24 AM

Obviously some of these post sound REAL good and that's not a Lee smoke pole boolit. Every once in a while I like the big weekend breakfast on non outing days. 3 over easy eggs, hash browns with onion (crispy), rye or sourdough toast, ham steak with red-eye gravy, buttered grits, venison jerky smokehouse or sausage gravy & biscuits, and wash it down with coffee, milk, and juice with real butter would be on the menu. It takes a little time to make and eat, but most of the time you don't need supper.