PDA

View Full Version : Scope for working up loads?

Good Cheer
06-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Looking to put a scope on a 38" long Green Mountain barrel for working up loads.
I have a TC pistol scope base that matches the hole pattern for the GM rear sight, but the TC pistol scope needs further distance for the eye relief. So it's time for plan B.
Also in hand is a clamp on scope mount block that fits a 1" across the flats barrel. It will work and is adjustable for eye relief seeing as you clamp it on the barrel where ever you want to. Perfect situation for a temporary scope arrangement. But it won't work with the TC pistol scope due to the bottom side dovetail ralis on the scope. So, it's time to get a scope, be it scout or pistol model.
Question: Have any of you fellas been using a scout or pistol scope on muzzleloaders and have ideas, do's/don'ts and recommendations?

Tatume
06-11-2016, 09:21 AM
I like the Leupold 2.5x Intermediate Eye Relief scope for many applications, including muzzle loading rifles. The eye relief is best for me, the scope works well and provides a good image, and they hold up well to recoil.

54bore
06-11-2016, 09:29 AM
2nd on leupold anything, ive had nothing but good luck with leupold, from MANY scopes to their binos. I wish i could clamp my Zeiss 4.5-14 scope on my green mountain LHR barrels for load testing :smile:

Omnivore
06-11-2016, 12:47 PM
The Leupold fixed power 2.5 x Scout Scope, which I believe Tatume is referencing, is a good piece, but I question your thinking. There's no reason to mount a scope just for load testing. What a lot of extra work for nothing. I believe I understand your thinking, that it'll make it easier to determine the inherent accuracy of the loads being tested, but I tell you it's a complete waste of time and effort. Test your loads with the gun set up exactly as you intend to use it. You can't do better than that, no matter what, so don't beat your head against the proverbial wall trying.

Tatume
06-11-2016, 01:09 PM
There are arguments to be made either way. This is a hobby, and most of us do what we do because we enjoy doing it. If Cheer thinks he will enjoy mounting a scope on his rifle, and shooting his scoped rifle, then by all means he should do so. I have muzzle loading rifles set up both ways, and enjoy shooting all of them.

Then there's the argument that people think the arrangement looks bad, or non-traditional. Who cares what other people think? Most of my practice time, and ALL of my hunting time is spent alone. There is nobody but me to see my rifles. If they please me, what does it matter what someone else thinks?

Time spent doing things that are enjoyable is not wasted.

shoot-n-lead
06-11-2016, 01:18 PM
There are arguments to be made either way. This is a hobby, and most of us do what we do because we enjoy doing it. If Cheer thinks he will enjoy mounting a scope on his rifle, and shooting his scoped rifle, then by all means he should do so. I have muzzle loading rifles set up both ways, and enjoy shooting all of them.

Then there's the argument that people think the arrangement looks bad, or non-traditional. Who cares what other people think? Most of my practice time, and ALL of my hunting time is spent alone. There is nobody but me to see my rifles. If they please me, what does it matter what someone else thinks?

Time spent doing things that are enjoyable is not wasted.

What he said...^^^^^

Good Cheer
06-12-2016, 07:41 AM
Maybe figgered something out with the TC mounts that are made to fit the Hawken, Renegade and the New Englander hole patterns.
Appears that the clamping arrangement would work very well with a Weaver or picatinny rail that had the lower side milled to suit. Then anything you wanted to mount on the standard type rail would be good to go. Or maybe there's an easier way to do it. Still scratching my head.

Omnivore
06-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Test your loads with the gun set up exactly as you intend to use it.

Tatume and shoot-n-lead; so you're saying this is bad advice then?

Or did you assume that I'm opposed to scopes on muzzleloaders?

Tatume
06-12-2016, 01:03 PM
No and no. But I disagree that what Cheer proposes is a waste of time. Like I said, there are arguments both ways.

Good Cheer
06-13-2016, 01:13 PM
This is a simple design I want to try some day.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/octagonal%20clamp.3_zpsevkhwd4t.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/octagonal%20clamp.3_zpsevkhwd4t.jpg.html)

Good Cheer
06-13-2016, 01:27 PM
The top piece would be drilled and tapped for Weaver or picatinny rails.
Would be used to put a pistol scope on a half stock.
Make it for one inch across the flats and shim for a 15/16" barrel.

Squeeze
06-13-2016, 04:30 PM
I live in a shotgun/ BP state and Ive done that whole song and dance with shotguns. removable mounts of all descriptions. I tore up a dozen guns and scopes trying, sometimes things would work for a while, and I was lured into a temporary satisfaction, but inevitably they all failed. Including those pin mount B-square style. Even drilling the action on a shotgun never lasted, metal is too thin. I spent multiples of what it would have cost. They finally came out with cantilever barrels, and better dedicated slug guns. Now I rarely use a slug gun, unless I cant carry a muzzleloader, and can a shotgun.

Good Cheer
06-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Went shopping around and got sticker shock.
The local excellent shop on the way into town doesn't have any pistol scopes, so went surfing on the interseine. Like Arlo sang about Alice's place you can get anything you want. But wow, the prices. Of well, reckon they were always high but it didn't seem like it!

Good Cheer
06-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Got a scope, mounted it, filed down a .54 cleaning jag to work in .52. Got boolits patched. Got round ball for the initial close range scope checks. Still need to put a bronze nipple in it and then be ready to go.
Just about time to make smoke.