PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy 44 sights

molar
06-11-2016, 07:57 AM
I took my new Henry Big Boy 44 mag to the range yesterday to test some reloads. I was getting 1.5-2" 5 shot groups at 50 yards with both 240gr XTP's and 265 gr interlocks ahead of W296. The limiting factor appears to be the sights, particularly the front bead sight. Does anyone make a narrower blade style front sight for the big boy?

The other issue was the gun shooting 4 inches to the left at 50 yards. How much should I drift the front sight left to correct windage?

500MAG
06-11-2016, 08:14 AM
To adjust the windage you can use this calculation (according to what you are saying):
4(number of inches off) times the sight radius ( distance in inches between your front and rear site) divided by number of inches to the target 50yds (1800inches)

pietro
06-11-2016, 11:05 AM

You can dance with who brung ya, and use the front sight on the rifle via the "6-o'clock hold".

http://www.w0ipl.net/Shooting/displace.jpg

If you don't want to calculate the windage adjustment needed to obtain zero (and I don't blame you if you don't - I wouldn't calc it, either), just (temporarily) lay a small strip of yellow masking tape across the barrel in front or back of the rear barrel sight, then make a pencil mark on the tape that aligns with one of the edges of the sight base.

With a non-marring drift pin (brass is best) and a heavy-enough hammer (12-16oz), SOLIDLY support the rifle (a bench vise is best, but a tabletop works if someone with strong-enough hands to hold the rifle helps you) before giving the rear sight BASE a solid whack ("love taps" damage the sight) on the LH side (as you look down the barrel to fire the gun).

(A rear sight should be moved in the direction that you wish to move the POI, to achieve zero)

If you eyeball the mark you made, you will see how much you've moved the sight.

Shoot to check zero as required (sight adjustments are best done on a firing range), remark the tape & drift again as necessary, until the rifle is zeroed.

10mmShooter
06-13-2016, 08:41 AM
I use Skinner Peep sight for the rear sight, they also make replacement front sights.