PDA

View Full Version : Second Smelt - Range Scrap

RoadBike
06-10-2016, 03:10 PM
For the second smelt, I weighed my raw bullets and added 30 pounds to the dutch oven/jet burner apparatus. When the initial charge had melted and jackets were skimmed, I added another 40 pounds. Bottom line, I recovered 54 pounds in ingots, 77%. That's a little better than I thought I would do.

I didn't weigh my starting charge on the first smelt, so I'm not sure of the yield.

This one went a little smoother than the first, but my fluxing and ingot pouring technique still have a ways to go. I cast two boolits to use for hardness test sometime next week.

bangerjim
06-10-2016, 04:18 PM
I lost track of the numbers of re-melts I have performed. Just part of the hobby that most do not worry about or keep count of.

banger

lightman
06-10-2016, 06:18 PM
It sounds like you are off to a good start. As you do more you will find easier or faster ways and maybe even make some equipment changes. My biggest recommendation is to not have an accident because of getting in a hurry or cutting corners. You are getting a good yield from your range scrap.

RoadBike
06-10-2016, 07:20 PM
You are getting a good yield from your range scrap.

I was pleased and surprised with the yield. Also was a little less stressed on this one compared to the first one.

websterz
06-11-2016, 02:44 AM
You added range scrap to a pot of molten lead? That's a recipe for disaster. There are too many places for moisture to hide, especially in range scrap. It only takes a drop of water to summon the Tinsel Fairy!

RoadBike
06-11-2016, 10:16 AM
You added range scrap to a pot of molten lead? That's a recipe for disaster. There are too many places for moisture to hide, especially in range scrap. It only takes a drop of water to summon the Tinsel Fairy!

Duly noted, and thank you.

BNE
06-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Smelting is always fun. Hang on to the copper jackets. You sell them back to the scrap yard.

websterz
06-11-2016, 11:11 AM
It's always safest to add lead to an empty pot. Bringing it up to melting temperature ensures that any moisture is long since boiled away.

Budzilla 19
06-17-2016, 09:02 PM
^^^^^^^^^ What he said, in spades!!! Get two dutch ovens and always load a cold one and you will never have a problem!!! Good luck to you.Oh, and a lid is very nice too. Might help keep tinsel witch from showing up. Be safe, have fun.

warpspeed
06-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Or worse - a live round that sneaks in can do some pretty spectacular stuff - if moisture brings the tinsel fairy - a live round will summon the tinsel banshee.

websterz
06-22-2016, 09:37 PM
^^^True Dat!^^^

RP
06-23-2016, 11:11 PM
I have smelted over a ton of range lead and found live rounds in the mix more then one time. I always start with a fresh batch of scrap never adding to any lead that has been melted. I also found fluxing with used motor oil will free the lead from the jackets more to the added surface heat from the oil burning I think. Then fluxing again to remove the dirt before casting ingots sometimes I flux more depending on how much trash I get after fluxing.
I was after the lead but selling the jackets to the scrap yard paid for a few new toys.

WRideout
06-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Or worse - a live round that sneaks in can do some pretty spectacular stuff - if moisture brings the tinsel fairy - a live round will summon the tinsel banshee.
I once accidentally picked up a live primer when sweeping lead spatter off the floor. When I added it to the pot, it made things exciting for a moment!
Wayne

WRideout
06-24-2016, 06:17 AM
I have smelted over a ton of range lead and found live rounds in the mix more then one time. I always start with a fresh batch of scrap never adding to any lead that has been melted. I also found fluxing with used motor oil will free the lead from the jackets more to the added surface heat from the oil burning I think. Then fluxing again to remove the dirt before casting ingots sometimes I flux more depending on how much trash I get after fluxing.
I was after the lead but selling the jackets to the scrap yard paid for a few new toys.
I had much the same experience. I could never figure out how to use sawdust to flux range scrap, and oil of any kind seemed to coat the jackets, and make the lead flow out much easier. I have used regular kitchen vegetable oil with great success.

Selling the jackets to the scrap yard is kind of the icing on the cake.

Wayne

farmersamm
06-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Smelt.............170855

melt..............170856

John Boy
06-24-2016, 10:37 AM
Smelts ...

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx72/pech0706/Greece%202010/g31.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/pech0706/media/Greece%202010/g31.jpg.html)

mold maker
06-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Is that Doe Run?
My brothers feet smelt too.

RoadBike
06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Update: Hardness was 9.2 BHN on both boolits from batch described in OP.

I conducted a third smelt, melt, rendering or whatever we're calling it, yesterday. I got the same percent yield that I got on the batch described in the OP, 77%. 3X flux with pine sawdust, and 1X flux with Gulf wax. I fluxed one more time with paraffin about half way through pouring ingots. I'll check hardness next week. Third batch went a little better with respect to fluxing, pouring etc. This is a learning process.