PDA

View Full Version : Identify the mystery equipment

christphil
06-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Hi all. Long time reader here. Thank you for the wealth of information.

Can anyone identify the mysterious primer feed system in this Youtube video? I'd like to jury rig something similar on my own Lee press. The safety prime system just isn't cutting it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ0h6_Bo8Y

VHoward
06-09-2016, 08:18 PM
http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/apf
Maybe this? That's what it looks like to me.

salpal48
06-09-2016, 09:01 PM
I have one of those . I believe It was an early CH Tool and Die. The one I have was mounted on a Ch H magnum. It is in Small primer . with a Matching tube. It work Fine and Great for That machine. . It can be adapted to any Press I think if there is Room. . Once set It will take time To reset on another Press. Mine is Mounted On the front but since I have never seen another . But I guess can go any place . I will post a photo soon
Sal

blikseme300
06-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Nice piece of equipment.

I prefer to prime cases separately from the loading sequence and used to use a Lee hand primer until I had carpal tunnel surgery. I now use the RCBS bench primer, their Auto Priming Tool. Together with a Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime to quickly fill the tubes the combination is a pleasure to use.

jimkim
06-10-2016, 01:08 AM

Can anyone identify the mysterious primer feed system in this Youtube video? I'd like to jury rig something similar on my own Lee press. The safety prime system just isn't cutting it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoJ0h6_Bo8Y
Have you seen a Lee Auto Prime II? You might be able to build something similar using a Ram Prime.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/556149/lee-auto-prime-2-press-mounted-priming-tool

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

mdi
06-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Funny (?). A member asks a question about the identity of a specific tool and is told to look at, is recommended a totally different tool.:confused:

I have used several different types of priming tools in the 30 years I've been reloading and really like the ram prime tool. I found it much better than hand priming for "feel" and I can prime hundreds of cases without hand cramps. The tool/fixture shown by the OP would remove the only downside of a ram prime; single loading the primers...

christphil
06-10-2016, 11:58 AM
The tool/fixture shown by the OP would remove the only downside of a ram prime; single loading the primers...

Yep, I like the Ram Prime, but I hate single loading primers. A quick fix could be the Auto Prime II---discontinued by the looks of it, but I can try and find one on the 'bay.

troyboy
06-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Hopefully Sal can clear this up. It is a great idea and would a useful innovation.

VHoward
06-10-2016, 05:01 PM
The one I linked to would work. You would just have to come up with a mounting bracket to fit your press to position it where it needs to be.

salpal48
06-10-2016, 05:59 PM
I have Taken a Photo. . This was Mounted to the machine >In the back when I got It. I found It strange by Placing the push button on the back. So I mounted it on the Front. I have never seen another Except in the first Photo.
Looking @ the First Photo of the lee. I think it should be Mounted Off the Machine as shown On the side. The person I got this from Told me he Got the set up from CH Tool & Die.
. Well he are the Photo's
Sal

christphil
06-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Thanks Sal! That's definitely the one.

As VHoward pointed out, looks like CH sells something similar today, but the picture on the CH site is less than clear so it's hard to tell if it's the same thing or not.

In any case, I sent out an email to CH and we'll see what they say.

43PU
06-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Why not just buy this?

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/shoppingcart/apii.jpg

salpal48
06-10-2016, 06:32 PM
WHY, The thrill of the hunt On Older loading Equipment Is why not to buy
Sal

christphil
06-10-2016, 06:33 PM
This.

WHY, The thrill of the hunt On Older loading Equipment Is why not to buy
Sal

Earl Brasse
06-10-2016, 07:12 PM
christphil,

Thanks for posting the video of the priming system.

I've been trying to find a decent picture.

I had been looking at the unit on CH4D website a few weeks ago for a Hollywood Turret press project.

Yes, they really need better pictures on their website.

I ordered one from them this morning, as I think it will work for what I need.

As for why not the LEE unit; it has the primer supply & the actual priming unit together.
I don't see a cut-off. I would be my guess that is why it was shown as discontinued at Midway.
It looks like all major makers are moving towards a separate primer supply/prime setup or cut-off system.

And yes, old tools are cool.

(but for production, I'm not giving up my Dillon 650)

VHoward
06-10-2016, 07:14 PM
The Lee ram prime II was discontinued 2 years ago I believe. Lee doesn't even make parts for it. If you found an old one on ebay, it may not be complete. If you find an old auto primer feed by CH Tool Company, CH4D would support it with parts. I would go the CH4D route myself.

christphil
06-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Earl, let me know how that primer unit works out for you. Pics would be great.

I ordered one from them this morning, as I think it will work for what I need.