PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Values

Big Dipper
06-09-2016, 05:55 PM
A friend calls this morning and tells me a guy had some dies for sale on the radio. I call him up but I already have all the stuff he has except a 257 Ackley imperial. Anyways we're talking and he says he has 9 Mauser's he wants to sell German, FN, Argentine. He has had them for 30 plus years and is downsizing. How much in general are these worth? If the price is right I would buy them and try to get them into use.

JSnover
06-09-2016, 06:35 PM
We would need a lot more info. Post the specifics if you have them. You could look for them on some of the auction sites but every time I do that the prices are all over the place.

lefty o
06-10-2016, 12:18 AM
details!!!! this is like saying my friend wants to sell me his old chevy, whats it worth? lol

Scharfschuetze
06-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Yes, it's all in the details.

What to look for in a military Mauser for the best value and collectability?

Manufacturer and model as well as country of issue
Overall condition
Good clean bore without pitting or wear
Matching serial numbers on all parts, but especially the bolt to receiver numbers
Accouterments such as original slings, original cleaning kits, etc.

All of the above should be looked at before buying. While the accouterments are not common, the rest of the rifle should be in good condition, so caveat emptor. Good German Mauser 98s from WWI and WWII are bringing big bucks while Argentine 1891s and Yougoslavian Mausers are often to be had for about $350 to $400 now. It's all about what it is and its condition.

leadman
06-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Guns in original uncut condition are worth more than ones that have been "sporterized". Bore condition is also a factor to me as I shoot everything I own.
If he can send you pictures and descriptions of the guns then you can do an internet search and also provide more info for members here to help you.

Big Dipper
06-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I will make contact and get more details.

Big Dipper
06-10-2016, 02:56 PM
I contacted the guy and he will get the rifles out of the safe and get me a written description. He says it will take a week. I will be traveling about that time so maybe two weeks until I get the information. I will post and try and work a deal from there..

Flintlock54
06-10-2016, 03:49 PM
That's an interesting question,I too have a German Mauser, that been converted by Isreal into . 7.62 and can't figure out if I want to keep her, or dump her, since I bought her , I've only fired cast out of her, she wears the original wood, not sure maybe beech, only real problem is a crack in stock , near stock lug (bolt that goes through the stock to reenforce the stock),about 2" give or take, this thing is a shooter. Maybe someone will try to con me out of it.