PDA

View Full Version : 1942? Lithgow no 4? Mk II smle...should I trade?

Milsurpmaniac
06-09-2016, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to trade my Lee Enfield for a mid to high quality AR-15. The bore is shiny and looks practically brand new, and the wood is in mid fair condition. I was hoping one of you geniuses could help me figure out a fair value for this rifle. It has the "ak style" ladder sites and brass fittings including the butt plate. I have very little information on it other than what I have discussed with a few people here in the chat room and no matter how much I search I can't find anything to do with number 4 Mark 2's, let alone find a value for them. Any assistance would be highly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time. If necessary I can post pics a little bit later, however I don't have access right now to a computer to upload them easily.

1Hawkeye
06-09-2016, 02:21 PM
If it is a Lithgow it's #1mk 3*. Lithgow never changed to the #4 pattern the kept making #1's up until the late 50's / early 60's when they started production of the S L R (FN-FAL). Depending on your part of the country if all the numbers match it's a 300.00 to 375.00 retail value rifle.

Hardcast416taylor
06-09-2016, 02:33 PM
I have to agree with 1hawkeye about your rifle being a #1mk3 and not a no4mk2. Just the short info you said about the sights and the brass don`t go with a no4. I had a no4mk2 and your description doesn`t sound or look like what I had namely no brass furniture.Robert

gwpercle
06-09-2016, 05:32 PM
Keep it ! Show some restraint , save up and buy the AR, now you have two rifles. They will never make Enfields again and they are starting to rise in price. Its a piece of history .
Get rid of it and I would bet money , one day , you will be regretting selling it.
303 British Enfields are cool.
I bought a BSA No4 MK I back in the 1960's , twenty bucks, never got around to bubbarizing it into a sporter....So very glad I didn't sporterize it , in military form , they go for much , much , more today than twenty dollars
And its a blast to shoot cast with it .

Gary

KLR
06-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Trade for the AR. Then this winter after the election when we have another AR buying panic you can sell the AR for enough to buy several nice Enfields.

Outpost75
06-09-2016, 08:31 PM
A ten-shot boltgun with short bolt throw, capable of rapid reloading with chargers, chambered for a common military cartridge is a good thing to have around if a future administration goes after semi-autos and high cap magazines, which could happen.

m.chalmers
06-09-2016, 09:31 PM
http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?55-The-Lee-Enfield-Forum

303Guy
06-10-2016, 02:02 AM
Here is a No.4

http://www.casr.ca/bg-crr-canadian-ranger-rifle-1.jpg

A Lithgow would look like this

http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/weapons/mkIII.gif

These things can go for in excess of AZ $1000 but often from $375 and up. Have a look here; https://www.usedguns.com.au/Guns/used_military_rifles

JeffinNZ
06-10-2016, 05:09 AM
Look at it from this point of view.

There will be PLENTY more ARs. There are NO more LE's being made and as issued are thin on the ground thanks to Bubba. I'd keep it.

Milsurpmaniac
06-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, as nuch as it pains me I believe I will keep it. I don't really have anywhere to shoot it besides a 75ft range 10 miles or so from me, so it will probably do a lot of sitting around, but I think keeping it is my best bet. As much as I want an Ar-15, I traded $200 worth of .22lr for the enfield, but only paid about $35 for the 4 bricks I traded, and I feel I will never be able to pay that little for it again. I appreciate all the responses, and the awesome info you've all given me about this rifle. On a side note, does anyone live in Detroit area Michigan and know of a public range that is better than the Lapeer pit? Sorry if this question should be posted somewhere else, couldn't find an area suitable for it. Thanks again guys, it's nice to have a community that's willing to help. Places like this are getting few and far between, I'm just glad to see the community is here to help.
-Bill

Scharfschuetze
06-10-2016, 12:43 PM
Another reason to keep the Enfield is that it is a much better cast boolit rifle than the AR platform and its small calibre.

The cast boolits loaded to 1,100 or 1,200 fps will make much better loads for shooting at your 75' range. At these lower velocities you won't need gas checks and a pound of pistol powder will last you a long, long time.

Hardcast416taylor
06-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Just last week that Lapeer pit that people frequent to shoot at got noticed in the local paper about explosions heard there. People were shooting at Tannerite loaded targets. Where abouts do you live, County or city is close enough info?Robert

1Hawkeye
06-10-2016, 02:29 PM
I agree keep the Lithgow. Quality wise they were the best and now that we know what you have in it that is even more reason for you to keep it you got a sweet deal
Yes 75' is kinda close range why don't you try to find one of the.22 lr conversion kits that nurmrich gun parts used to make then you can have more fun with your Lithgow.

nekshot
06-10-2016, 09:29 PM
Right decision by a mile!!!

303Guy
06-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Good decision. Now, there are several options, one being to find a cast boolit for it. I have/had a load using as 141gr paper patched smooth side boolit over a small charge of shotgun powder that was impressively accurate at around 40-50 yds. 75 yds would be a nice distance for loads such as mine. No case (or neck) sizing. Just a fresh primer and the boolit seated by hand and single or magazine fed.

I have a Lee 180 gr 311 mold that patches up to fit several of my Lee Enfield throats. No range testing as yet though. With a good bore (as yours has), the right sized plain cast should be a great deal of fun to shoot.

I am under the impression that the Lithgow is hard to beat for quality. If you have a close look on the outside of the action just behind the locking lug recess and bearing face, you will find an odd impression. That's from the induction heat treatment of the locking lug bearing faces.

I have two Lithgows, one chambered for the 25/303 and the other a 1939 'sporterized'. The 25/303 is in its original chambering and is a sporter.

richhodg66
06-11-2016, 08:49 AM
If all you have is a 75' range, get some cast .32 revolver bullets and some Unique, sounds like a lot of fun.

I have one of those Lithgows I got at a Rose's store down south about 25 years ago for $59.95, wish I had bought a bunch more. The bore is a bit rough, but still shoots pretty well.

Adam Helmer
06-11-2016, 04:11 PM
Milsurpmaniac,

Where do you live? What do you wish to accomplish with an AR you cannot do with your .303? I was issued an M-16 in July 1965, I did not like that little "chuck gun" then and like it less now. I own real rifles and let the kids have their AR frenzy. The puny .223 cartridge is not a legal deer rifle in many states. Your .303 will do the do.

Adam

gnoahhh
06-12-2016, 11:45 PM
I resisted the AR urge for a looooong time. Now I can't believe how much fun it is. Will I give up my Springfields, Krags, and Mausers to chase these AR's? Not on your life. But the AR looks right at home nestled in with all the rest.

Milsurpmaniac
07-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Robert I am in Clinton township

Milsurpmaniac
07-04-2016, 11:45 PM
I have no reloading setup, only a cheap 2-slot casting mold and a half pound of beeswax for lubrication. I will be army bound in a few months, but currently have no income at all. I am looking to get into the AR15 as my first semi-auto rifle, as I'm n9t a fan of .22. Still hard to find here and that lucky break that got me this rifle is a once in a lifetime deal, all I have is a S&W SD9VE for my edc/CC pistol, a '43 mosin with matching #'s down to the bayonet, a 20yo beater mossy 500 pistol grip, and this enfield, which I know to be lithgow mkii as it says it on the reciever, but still not sure exactly what it is. Currently haven't even got to shoot the enfield, as i have a few boxes of sporting clays but no money or transportation to get up to Lapeer and I just had foot surgery.

Scharfschuetze
07-05-2016, 12:21 AM
I will be army bound in a few months

Good on you. What MOS will you train for?

303Guy
07-06-2016, 01:16 AM
A Lithgow MkII? That would be not too common? I found a pic of a 1903 MkI SMLE.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/99/Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield_Mk_1_%281903%29_-_UK_-_cal_303_British_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg/1920px-Short_Magazine_Lee-Enfield_Mk_1_%281903%29_-_UK_-_cal_303_British_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

Notice it has the half clip charger guide on the bolt head. I have one of those actions, mine being a 1904 MkI. Mine is not in original condition and the bore is toast but paper patching makes it shoot reasonably. It also has a very short barrel - all I could salvage - at 14.6 inches. It still gets 2000 fps with a 194 gr boolit.

Your MkII could be worth quite a bit. Any chance of a photo of it? The MkII was in service from 1906–1927. The MkIII came into service in 1907.

I found a pic of a Lithgow MkII.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/SMLE%20MkII_zps83f0oweo.jpg (http://s388.photobucket.com/user/303Guy/media/SMLE%20MkII_zps83f0oweo.jpg.html)