PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Century Limited, fiber optic front sight???

lentuk
06-09-2016, 09:57 AM
My Marlin 1894 Century Limited, not everyone's cup of tea but I have owned more lever guns than I can remember and this one is still my favorite, this is the rifle that finally got me to start loading the fantastic .44-40 and it shoots great.
Well, my eyes have started to go and I cant see the original brass bead front sight anymore so I put on a green fiber optic front sight and wow, I sure can see it now.
Only problem is, it has kinda taken away from the traditional look of the rifle for me, what do ya think?
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n358/longbowman/20160609_064241-1_zps5hpnwmpq.jpg (http://s336.photobucket.com/user/longbowman/media/20160609_064241-1_zps5hpnwmpq.jpg.html)

pietro
06-09-2016, 10:19 AM

"Pretty" is, as "pretty" does - Function is IMHO more important than looks.

I've long utilized FO sights on ALL my iron-sighted rifles, and can attest to their usefulness.

(VERY nice rifle, BTW :) )

6pt-sika
06-09-2016, 10:32 AM
I'm not a fan of fiber optic sights .

MostlyLeverGuns
06-09-2016, 10:39 AM
An ugly rifle that hits is more useful than a pretty rifle that just looks good. Both is best of course. Is you rifle for shooting or would you rather just hold it and look at it?

Skooterr
06-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Yeah, what good is form, if you can't aim it??
Whose FO sight did you use?

lentuk
06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Its a Marbles sight.

Skooterr
06-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Didn't look them up, yet, don't they come in several different diameters?
I know the ones I looked at a while ago seemed fat, sort of like a shotgun site.

lentuk
06-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Its 3/32 at the largest

Skooterr
06-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Again Thanks. I'm thinking of getting one for my 1894C.
BTW, nice wood on your 1894CL.

pietro
06-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Didn't look them up, yet, don't they come in several different diameters?
I know the ones I looked at a while ago seemed fat, sort of like a shotgun site.

Besides being available (from different makers) in various heights & colors (green, red, amber, etc, etc - to allow for different user's color perception), all FO front sight blades are also made in the same two diameters (1/16"-fine & 3/32"-coarse) as the gold, ivory & brass bead sights made by several different gunsight makers.

Some of the FO makers are Williams (Firesight), HIVIZ, TRUGLO, Marbles, T/C, Trijicon, New England Custom Gun (NECG), et al.

northmn
06-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Looking at "traditional" can be an issue to some. I built a 25cal flintlock squirrel rifle. Sights that work best with older eyes do kind of look out of place on a flintlock. One of the ways a person can address the issue is to use an Express rear sight. They do not have a u or v notch but are one big shallow V. For a front sight I use a large bead and place the bead in the bottom of the V. For the long barrel of the flintlock I use a 1/8" brass front sight but for a shorter rifle the 3/32 is fine. These do not stand out like the fiber optic or receiver sights.
As for your situation I have green fiber optic sights on my Marlin 38-55 Cowboy, my 30-30 Waffle top and my Marlin CL 32-20. I don't get too shook up about it. Took the rear sights off my 92 Rossi and put a reciever sight on it. I also have an old waffle top Marlin that is scoped. May "look wrong" to some but I like to hit what I shoot at.

DP

.45colt
06-10-2016, 05:08 PM
I put a fiber optic on one of my levers for awhile. I was amazed how much better I could see the sight picture in low light. If I was worried about the look on that Marlin, I would take a fine line black marker and paint the green sides of that front sight to black it out. I bet you could still see the green. I'm sending You a P.M.

John Barleycorn
06-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Put on of Slick McClade's sure hit sights on. It's a brass sleeve that will slide over your original sight. I have them on all my CAS rifles.

KCSO
06-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Been there done that and I hate it but... I've been a VERY traditional muzzleloader all my life, flinters, buckskins, and I build historical replicas. But last few years I have been losing the sight in my right eye and have not been able to focus on rifle sights. I have switched to shooting lefty and am relearning after over 60 years. I have fire sights on all my modern guns and can shoot them OK but even left handed traditional sights are getting to be a hard go. I am boxed into a corner and if I want to shoot irons anymore I may have to put fire sights on my, on my. on...MY FLINTER! I hate it but if I have to do it to keep shooting I will suffer in...BS... I will complain ever time I can, but I'll do it to keep shooting.

Mans gotta do...

Geezer in NH
06-13-2016, 09:01 PM
It is not a historical flint lock. Trust me 99% of folks will not notice or care. :smile: