PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my Rossi 92 44 will shoot cast alright!

paraord
06-08-2016, 06:05 PM
So I say to the wife "I'll be right back" as I walk out the door with my Rossi M92, and a handful of cast loads. I could feel the eyes roll at me from the porch haha.
Gun is a 44 mag, large loop, octagon barrel 20" and it was a headache in the beginning. All the issues I had are over at rossi-rifleman forum. If anyone is interested I can go through them at a later post.
Loads were 265 grain gas checked 429244 50/50 wheel weight and pure, BAC lube sized to .429 on top of 17.9 grains of AA#9.

I haven't slugged the barrel, and this round preforms great in my 7.5" Ruger SBH. I wanted to slug the barrel but I haven't had the time to be honest and I wanted to make a little smoke.

Now I had a few feeding hiccups, could be OAL related or could be lack of assertion in actioning the lever but I wanted to see what would happen with the actual shooting.

30 yards and I flipped the 6"x10" gong right off the Shepards hook. Backed it out to 50 yards and had no problems. Yes I know it's a mighty sizeable target but after 10 rounds no signs of leading and checked with a bore light and we are good.

Anyhow I felt good about it so I wanted to share
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/paraord1911/Mobile%20Uploads/20160328_172630_zpsj3z23gkh.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/paraord1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160328_172630_zpsj3z23gkh.jpg.html)

buckwheatpaul
06-08-2016, 06:09 PM
Great post and info...not to mention a great deer!

500MAG
06-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Nice rack!

bluelund79
06-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Good write up. What kind of feeding issues were you having? I found with my M92 in 44mag, that it takes a good, solid action cycle to chamber a SWC round. RNFP and XTP's I could be a little less aggressive on the lever and still have positive feeding/cycling. However, mine has had a relatively hard life previously as an East Texas truck gun prior to becoming my truck gun. I do love your tang sight, looks better than the ghost ring peep I put on mine. Nice deer, too!

4719dave
06-08-2016, 08:29 PM
yes nice rig ...RACKS looking nice as well

paraord
06-08-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks guys, that buck is a controversy as to who shot it. My father or grandfather as they both took shots when he was in a flat out sprint. My dad laughs everytime he comes over and sees it, wish my grandfather was still here to do the same. I've heard the story from both of them so many times I could recite both of their renditions of the event.

Bluelund79, I just took out the calipers and was doing some double checking. It cycles 1.680 and under very reliably, but over that is hairy. Shouldn't be an issue with that 429244 but the 429421 I have the driving band is a little larger so I may have to trim some cases to get consistent and under 1.680. On the other hand my ruger SBH has no care how long it seems I make them. Glad I got it sorted though! I love that tang sight, I was debating the ghost ring to replace the safety but ended up with this and a Lyman 17a globe front sight. Makes a very good setup for minute of deer! Before I did some changes my 50 yard groupings shooting factory loads were around 2 inch. Plenty good enough for western NY whitetail.

TXGunNut
06-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Good Job! Gotta love it when a project comes together, especially a difficult one. Nice looking rifle as well.

Artful
06-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Nice report - I'm still thinking about getting another Rossi to go with my 357 - How do you like that large loop?

dverna
06-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Not many can hit a target that size off hand.

nockhunter
06-08-2016, 10:28 PM
So I say to the wife "I'll be right back" as I walk out the door with my Rossi M92, and a handful of cast loads. I could feel the eyes roll at me from the porch haha.
Gun is a 44 mag, large loop, octagon barrel 20" and it was a headache in the beginning. All the issues I had are over at rossi-rifleman forum. If anyone is interested I can go through them at a later post.
Loads were 265 grain gas checked 429244 50/50 wheel weight and pure, BAC lube sized to .429 on top of 17.9 grains of AA#9.

I haven't slugged the barrel, and this round preforms great in my 7.5" Ruger SBH. I wanted to slug the barrel but I haven't had the time to be honest and I wanted to make a little smoke.

Now I had a few feeding hiccups, could be OAL related or could be lack of assertion in actioning the lever but I wanted to see what would happen with the actual shooting.

30 yards and I flipped the 6"x10" gong right off the Shepards hook. Backed it out to 50 yards and had no problems. Yes I know it's a mighty sizeable target but after 10 rounds no signs of leading and checked with a bore light and we are good.

Anyhow I felt good about it so I wanted to share
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/paraord1911/Mobile%20Uploads/20160328_172630_zpsj3z23gkh.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/paraord1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160328_172630_zpsj3z23gkh.jpg.html)

Hey, where you at in western NY are you? I live outside of Roch.
I have the same basic rifle, but,,,,, Rossi has had mine for 14 months,,,, Yes, 14 months. When I got it last year I took it to the range with a bunch of different loads, cast 44specials to magnum loaded jacketed ones. After 15-20 magnum loads I noticed the mag tube creeping foward, I would push it back and shoot some, then repeat the process. When I got home I disassembled it to clean and see if I could fix the mag tube. I then discovered the barrel was loose!! I unscrewed the barrel by hand, yup, by hand. I called Braztech/Rossi, they told me to send it to them on my dime. I did and 4 or 5 weeks later they told me the gun was unrepairable and to pick another one. I told them I wanted the same model 92. They responded with "It will be 6-8 weeks for another one" I told them I would wait. 8 or 9 weeks later they contacted me with "We are unable to get the gun, would you like anything else with the same MSRP?" I said I would like the same model. They told me it would be another 6-8 weeks, I said I would wait. All this time the model I had is still "available" according to their online catalogue. I finally had it with them, I told the supervisor 2 months ago I wanted my original gun back. They informed me that a letter of safety or un-safe to use would be written and had to be with the gun at all times, and would take 4 weeks to get in order. I called them 2 weeks ago and was wondering where the gun and letter was. I got a call from the supervisor last friday and was told the letter was nowhere to be found and I will hear from them this friday for the status of my repair order. I have never had a customer service experience like this one. What problems did you have with your gun?

Mike

nockhunter
06-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest.

Mike

Artful
06-09-2016, 08:03 AM
Yep, I'd be ranting also - shame when they put out stuff that's bad from the gitgo but I think I've seen that from every major maker out there.

paraord
06-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Nice report - I'm still thinking about getting another Rossi to go with my 357 - How do you like that large loop?

I have both, and I really like the larger loop. Maybe its the asthetics and that I watch the rifleman reruns every saturday, maybe its the grinding and fitting I did to make it cycle properly so I am invested in it. My paw fits in nice and I am not SASS shooting so speed is not an issue that you would loose by going with a large loop.

Not many can hit a target that size off hand.

I appreciate that! 6 oclock hold and this Marbles tang tight/Lyman globe front make it easy if I do my job and hold steady. Im sure when I sight in on the bench I will tighten that up significantly but hoofin through the woods most dont have that luxury as a deer walks by. Or coyote.

Sorry for the rant, I had to get that off my chest.

Mike

Mike Ill shoot you a PM with my contact info. Im just west of Brockport. As far as the issues, HERE WE GO BUCKLE UP!

First off like you, I had the creeping mag tube. This was with factory loads, and i bought this gun as a compliment to my Ruger SBH so I did not want to relegate this to 44 special loads. For this I "bit the bullet" took a drop in capacity but something I knew would never creep again. Dropped a roll pin straight through the barrel band, through the mag tube. I used a wooden dowel just smaller than the tube diameter and about 1/4 inch longer than the distance from the mag tube cap to the cross pin point in order to keep the spring from being tangled up. Some trial and error in the spring length but I managed to get very reliable feeding

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/paraord1911/Mobile%20Uploads/20160323_063206_zps6rkrcnkj.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/paraord1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160323_063206_zps6rkrcnkj.jpg.html)

....which moved into the next issue.

Then we had the feeding and the lever. Feeding was awful, so I broke it all down and found my original small lever had a different profile than the large lever I had purchased for it. This was a TON of trial and error as you can always take metal off but adding it is another story. Grind, dip in water (to avoid warping from heat), assemble, cycle, dissassemble, grind, dip, repeat. I can tell you this forced me to become very proficient at dis and re assembly. Below are the pictures. Top is the large loop, bottom small loop. The large loop had a convex channel for the carrier to ride in, the small had a convex channel.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/paraord1911/Mobile%20Uploads/20160323_062500_zpsal0umusd.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/paraord1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160323_062500_zpsal0umusd.jpg.html)

fixed

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/paraord1911/Mobile%20Uploads/20160328_122615_zpsnc3vldb6.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/paraord1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160328_122615_zpsnc3vldb6.jpg.html)

I also had a loose barrel, she would spin and really was just held by the stock inletting for the octagonal barrel. Mint right? So instead of attempting this one myself I took it to a local guy out near Henrietta who I would highly reccomend if you are interested in some work.

I heard of outrageous wait times from Braztech/Rossi so I figured I would spend the time and a little cash (less than 70 bucks all said and done) and make it work myself. Have only been without the gun for 3 days since I got it and that was when Ken the gunsmith had it.

Here is a 50 yard rested grouping using factory ammo. You can see my adjustments from right to left, then down a touch and 3 where I wanted them. Should be alright, cant wait to redial it in with those cast boolits!

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/paraord1911/Mobile%20Uploads/20160306_140819_zpsxg5fdmtw.jpg (http://s823.photobucket.com/user/paraord1911/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160306_140819_zpsxg5fdmtw.jpg.html)

nockhunter
06-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Andrew I got your PM, Thanks.

I wasn't too worried about the mag tube. I was going to lock tite it in or have my son weld a small tab onto the tube and secure it with the barrel band pin. I was "pissed" to say the least about the loose barrel. They just peened the corners under the hand guard to try to get it to tighten up. I told the customer service people that Rossi had horrible manufacturing practices and even worse quality control dept. That rifle should have never made it out of the factory.

Mike

paraord
06-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Andrew I got your PM, Thanks.

I wasn't too worried about the mag tube. I was going to lock tite it in or have my son weld a small tab onto the tube and secure it with the barrel band pin. I was "pissed" to say the least about the loose barrel. They just peened the corners under the hand guard to try to get it to tighten up. I told the customer service people that Rossi had horrible manufacturing practices and even worse quality control dept. That rifle should have never made it out of the factory.

Mike

I tried to loctite my barrel band but 2 shots and it was creeping again. It seems like many 92's come the way of yours and mine. Fortunately with some care and work they can run excellent. I seem to have gotten lucky with my barrel diameter too. 2009 build, and a sub .429 on the lands. My guess is that my groove diameter is .429 or .428 because I didnt see any leading (one of these days Ill slug the barrel). Or if its a little larger i am getting good obturation to fill those grooves.

As for the tab welding Ive seen some silver solder on a tab at the back of the mag tube, and a dovetail cut in the bottom of the barrel. This makes a quarter turn lock so to speak when you rotate the mag tube the soldered on block "locks" into the dovetail. No loss of capacity, just a little extra work, and great option as well.