PDA

View Full Version : Another lube discovery!

andrew375
06-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Osmo Poly-X Hard Wax oil (http://www.osmouk.com/sitechapter.cfm?chapter=82&page=247)

I found some of this stuff at work. As usual I examine anything that even hints that it could be used for shooting. Looked promising from the outset with descriptions of "high solids" and "hard wearing" and "impervious to spills". Just had to see if it would actually dry on metal. A quick dip with a steel rule, and though it did take a while, it did actually dry giving a good hard coat.

Application to bullets, either by dipping or swirling in a bowl was straight forward, the oil has the consistency of double cream and stays on the bullets well. I seated the gas checks first but didn't size, stood the bullets up on some plastic sheet after coating and very little actually ran off the bullets. It took two days for the lube to harden sufficiently to handle but after three days the lube was quite hard, but not brittle and didn't chip or break off during seating or cycling through the action. Lube grooves were nicely filled too. A table spoonful should do about 20 bullets.

I tried lubing some bullets for the Mosin and for the .308 target rifle with loads that are over 2000 fps and in both cases I got good accuracy and the bore scope showed a clean bore. I will be trying some more.

kungfustyle
06-08-2016, 04:18 PM
Just pulled it up on Amazon, it's $119 for 2.5 liter's a bit expensive....or am I looking at this incorrectly?

JSnover
06-08-2016, 04:28 PM
Just pulled it up on Amazon, it's $119 for 2.5 liter's a bit expensive....or am I looking at this incorrectly?
Dude, just steal it from work.

Peregrine
06-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Dude, just steal it from work.

I love you guys.

andrew375
06-09-2016, 10:08 AM

It is a 1 Lt tin I came across. It isn't cheap but then neither is stick lube and one litre should do several thousand bullets.

runfiverun
06-09-2016, 11:18 AM
one stick of lube is a couple of bucks at most and does 5-700 boolits.
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

you probably have the stuff on hand or can get it at your local grocers to make either Felix lube or my simple lube.

bangerjim
06-09-2016, 11:38 AM
Back when I was using grease lube, I found making my own was very inexpensive. Not like that stuff you are considering. Paraffin, beeswax, STP, Vasoline, grease, and the other common OTC sundries needed for the specific brew you are making are very inexpensive. And most can be had at Walmart or similar type stores. (I can't remember all the stores like that you have across the pond. Was there a few years ago and all I remember are the Boots apothecary emporiums everywhere!)

Now I PC everything. Cleaner and no sticky boolits in the AZ summer heat!

banger

andrew375
06-11-2016, 04:06 PM
one stick of lube is a couple of bucks at most and does 5-700 boolits.
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

you probably have the stuff on hand or can get it at your local grocers to make either Felix lube or my simple lube.

You misunderstand the purpose of my post. I am not suggesting anyone go out and buy this stuff as it is superior to anything else, just that it is something I found at work that can be used as a bullet lube. A pretty good one at that! I certainly am not going to be buying any! But I will be paying a bit more attention to the wood finishes in the DIY stores and trade catalogues to see if something turns up of the same description at a lower price. Who knows maybe there is one person on this board who has a can of something like this lying around now has a use for it.

If we don't investigate and report on these things then we will get nowhere. You trumpet the use of powder coating bullets, but that process was never developed for bullets or even as a lubrication coating, but people tried and developed it until it is at the stage it is today. I remember when posts first appeared about powder coating bullets and there were plenty of respondents saying why bother? What's the point? Lee Liquid Alox was not developed as a bullet lube but is in fact used in the wire drawing process; that is making wire, not an aid for pulling wire through conduit.

I make and use plenty of grease type lubricants on my bullets, as per my other post on experimenting with synthetic motor oil.

When I am looking for likely candidates for dip lubes I look for the key words "high solids". The lube I've used for the high volume of pistol bullets I used to shoot is a floor polish intended for diluting with water, applying with a mop and the buffing with a machine. I found some of this at work too, 20% solids it said on the label. I "liberated" a small amount, tested it and when I found it worked perfectly. I went to a janitorial supplier and bought 5 litres for the princely some of £5.80. A couple of capfuls does about 500 .45 or .44 bullets. Just put them in a pile on a plastic sheet, pour the lube over, mix the bullets around to get them all wet and leave to dry. Two minutes work to lube 500+ bullets. Beats the heck out of anything else for this application. After more than two decades and several tens of thousands of bullets I've barely got through half of the stuff!

runfiverun
06-13-2016, 12:15 AM
yeah I realized who made the post after the other you done.
I just read the post and didn't read who posted it. :lol:
otherwise I would have responded differently for sure.

andrew375
06-25-2016, 03:06 PM
IT WORKS!!!
I've been testing this lube with bullets from the same batch with my .308 target rifle. In known accurate loads that are in excess of 2100 fps; 25 rounds with the Lee 150 and 32 gr. of RL15 and the Lee 200gr. with 34gr. of RL15. In all cases those with this lube have consistently shot nice round ten shot groups at about the 2" size at 100 yards. Before anyone jumps in to sneer at this I should point out this is with aperture sights and single point sling! The rifle is just a P.14 action with an Enfield made 7.62 barrel screwed on. It is not sophisticated but with a 'scope and shot off bags it will shoot the above loads in to less than minute of angle.

Predictably the tin I borrowed this sample from has disappeared when I went to liberate the rest. The search goes on, but I cannot honestly say that in this application a dip lube has any advantages over applying a conventional lube via a lubri-sizer. I still have to seat a gas check and I have to dip and stand up each bullet individually and allow a couple of days to harden.

popper
06-25-2016, 05:12 PM
I've shot 308W to 2700 near MOA just using Mazzola brand cooking oil. Never could find something to mix with it for a stiffener - makes for real messy loading but works great. No leading in 308 or 30/30. Actually shot some 3 yr old 30/30 lubed with it, did fine.

John Boy
06-25-2016, 05:58 PM
OSMO Polyx Hard Wax Oil .125L ... $16.95 + Shipping

Sunflower oil, Soybean oil, Thissle oil, Carnauba wax, candelilla wax

Sounds like it would be a good stock finish also

For 17 bucks, I'll give it a try for both applications ...
Thanks Andrew for the post

wiljen
06-25-2016, 08:07 PM
sunflower oil, carnauba wax, and candelilla wax can all be had pretty cheap, you could play a bit and make your own version for a good bit less than $119 a liter I suspect.

runfiverun
06-25-2016, 09:15 PM
saponified sunflower and safflower oil are both used in some pretty high tech applications.
Felix sent me a link to some of their uses way back when.

andrew375
06-26-2016, 12:31 PM
What i was thinking is there are no magic ingredients in this stuff, never heard of Thissle oil, but I'll have a go at making something similar. The key will be getting it all mixed up staying mixed. By the way when it sets it is really hard! For the prices they are charging I think there is a serious bit of mark up involved!

popper
06-26-2016, 04:54 PM
Thistle oil - looked it up, pretty much cures all ills. Soybean oil used mostly in paints. Interestingly, these oils are polar, meaning they stick to metals and many are good lubricants. Except the the thistle, are the ingredients in hydrogenated peanut butter which is a good boolit lube. Candelilla wax is used as a hardener and oil carrier.

John Boy
06-26-2016, 08:12 PM
All of the oils and waxes in OSMO Polyx Hard Wax Oil are high in fatty acids and long hydrocarbon chains per Wikipedia. For any good lube, the presence of these is a big PLUS for a good lube. Using as a black powder lube, the compositions are a PLUS PLUS to support fouling.

cuzinbruce
06-26-2016, 08:24 PM
I did a little checking and there seem to be two thistle oils, milk thistle oil and thistle oil. Milk thistle oil seems to be a health food product. Plain thistle oil seems to be safflower oil as in cooking. From different species of plants. My guess is that Osmo means the safflower type thistle oil.
Looking at Osmo's website, they have a whole bunch of items. Not sure how available in the US, they are a UK company. But this Polyx Hard Wax Oil is pretty interesting. I would like to try finishing a gunstock with it. Like to hear more about it as a boolit lube too.

andrew375
06-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Those oils are classed as "drier oils" which means that they harden to a dry finish when exposed to air. They are used in oil based paints for that reason. Not only does Poly-X set HARD but it is incredibly STICKY, wear disposable gloves or face the devils own job getting it off your skin!

runfiverun
06-29-2016, 04:40 PM
the candelilla wax is available for about 12 bucks a pound.
it was used by the US army in some black powder lubes in the 1870's-80's.

John Boy
06-29-2016, 07:44 PM
IT WORKS!!!And IT WORKS too as a stock finish:
- 1887 Wurfflien 38-55 with a neglected oil finish
- took a rag tip and dipped it in the OSMO - Clear, that is a milky pink color. Applied and worked in a very light rubbed in coat on the wood
Now a nice looking oil finish that is drying
Pleased with product and a component for the lube next

eljefeoz
06-30-2016, 04:00 AM
I may get it here, not far from home ;)

http://www.osmoaustralia.com.au/