View Full Version : Has anyone handled the Spfld. EMP4?

Blackwater
06-08-2016, 03:03 PM
American Rifleman had a decent article on it, and I hadn't realized it had been downsized specifically for the 9mm. ctg. Now that I haven't subscribed to all the glossy magazines any more, I kind'a stay out of touch with all the new stuff, so this was kind'a a pleasant surprise. My daughter in law has very petite hands, and the slide on the 9mm. is easier to rack, so I thought it might be more suitable for her. My own hands have long been fitted to the std. 19ll's grip with flat mainspring housing, but this new, slightly smaller grip offers some promise, and I haven't had any opportunity to handle one yet. Have any of you? What did you think of the grip? How much smaller did it feel to you? How did it handle and point? Was it more of a "natural pointer" than the bigger gun? Any insights and impressions of it would be appreciated if you've had the opportunity to get your hands on one. The lighter wt. is a good asset too, especially for the ladies. I'm still unsure about the single action/safety thing with her, though, since she's not a real "shooter." But she's very intelligent and deals with things as they are, and is very meticulous, generally, so it's still a possibility. Anyone out there handled one? What can you offer me about the grip?

Groo
06-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Groo here
BIL has a standard EMP in 9mm.
The gun is much smaller in the grip [front to back] but side to side is not as different as the gun was designed for 40S&W.
I would say, similar to a PPk, a Shield or other smaller single stack, but all 1911 in function.....

Blackwater
06-10-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Groo. Did you get to shoot it? If so, how'd it feel in the hands? Would it fit a woman's dainty hands do you think?

PbHurler
06-11-2016, 05:15 AM
I haven't handled the EMP4 yet but here's my thoughts.

I have an EMP40, it holds 8 in the magazine. I don't necessarily have "bear paws" for hands, average I guess. When I grip the EMP40, the "fat" of my palm cradles under the rear if the back strap, and under towards the bottom of the mag well. The serrations on the back strap and the abrupt transition to the mag well are a little bothersome. If an extended magazine bumper could be fitted to the magazine, that could add that additional 3/8" - 1/2"of depth of the bumper to the junction point of the mag well & back strap, it'd be perfect for my hands.

The EMP4's, in both calibers, each show to have one more round capacity in the magazine over the EMP's. Assuming a single stack, this would mean a longer grip, which in my estimation would make the grip a darned good fit, over the standard EMP's.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EMP40. The grip ergonomics could be a little better for me, but the function has been flawless.
It's a fun gun to shoot, and pretty accurate for it's intended purpose IMO.

I'd like to handle one of these EMP4's to really feel what that slightly longer grip feels like.
(You're going to cost me some money here Blackwater):kidding:

Blackwater
06-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Thanks, Pbhurler. This is what I kind'a expected, but I learned long ago not to project my own assumptions onto guns I haven't handled. Been there, done that, have the tee shirt, etc. Logic will never replace a hands on experience. My DIL's dainty hands leave me having to guess at this sort of thing. She tends to excell at whatever she does, simply because she puts more into things than the average bear. Great gal. Our "daughter by another mother" is a real prize, and I want to do something special and useful for her. I learned long ago that women who aren't dyed in the wool shooters tend to do MUCH better with a gun that fits their hands well. That, and ear muffs so the blast doesn't intimidate and scare them, and they'll shoot like a champ before most men will! It's always humbling to teach a woman to shoot.

jrayborn
06-12-2016, 08:02 AM
I read the article and would love to try one out myself.

w5pv
06-12-2016, 09:25 AM
If S&W threats their warranties like they did on a MP 380 I will hang it on the wall just to remind me not to buy anything from S&W