PDA

View Full Version : Internet load data

hardy
06-08-2016, 12:48 PM
:twisted:Hey Folks Got me a 1912 7mm Steyr and looking for data I checked out Castpics.Well lookee here!With the RCBS 145 Sil boolit I can use 309 grains of h380 and still only get 1817 fps.I know lots of effort went into compiling this information but,Please you fellow reloaders check and double check and cross check data from different sources..This example is obvious but other mistakes could take you somewhere you don,t wanna be.Start low and work up.Be safe,Mike

Blackwater
06-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Always good advice. With the wide range of data listed by the big companies with their piezo test guns, they've seemed to encounter things that have resulted in data that was once ubiquitious, now being never seen. The very old and once well established load in .357's of 8 gr. Unique with most any 158 gr. J or cast bullet is never seen anymore. Piezos have given us a graphic picture of pressures as they rise, revealing secondary pressure spikes, that they're not pleased with. Will I ever use that above load again? After firing thousands and thousands of them with never a problem, probably yes, but I'll stick them in strong Ruger guns if I do. There's so many other loads out there that there's really no reason to use non-recommended loads and powders any more. And besides, it's a LOT more where you hit than what you hit them with that counts, both on the target range ana field alike. I never reload any more without consulting at least 4 or 5 manuals for data. I've kind'a become a manual junkie of sorts. With so many, many powders out there now, you HAVE to have a lot of manuals to cover even half the usable powders in most calibers, if even that. We are truly blessed with a wide variety of powders from multiple manufacturers now. I just hope it'll stay that way!

DerekP Houston
06-08-2016, 05:38 PM
always a good reminder. Ive been using mainly hodgon powders so I'll pull load data from either of my speer manuals then verify it against their website data.

TCLouis
06-08-2016, 06:02 PM
I assume there is a decimal point missing in that first post????

wiljen
06-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I wanna see him get 309 grains in that case. Thats one helluva drop tube. Sad part is I did castpics forever and I don't remember any 7mm steyr data.

Ed in North Texas
06-09-2016, 10:38 AM
I wanna see him get 309 grains in that case. Thats one helluva drop tube. Sad part is I did castpics forever and I don't remember any 7mm steyr data.

I'm sure that last sentence is a :kidding: comment. But in case there is a casual reader unfamiliar with them, I'm sure he meant a Model 1912, M-98 Mauser in 7x57mm, produced for Chile by Steyr.

bangerjim
06-09-2016, 10:57 AM
It really upsets me at all the new people on here begging and whining for load data and are just too darned cheap to buy a Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook to verify & obtain load data for themselves. Anyone can afford to buy one of those!

NEVER trust load data obtained from some forum or internet blog. Only trust a manufacture's website load data (using common sense!!!) and loading manual data.

Verify....verify......verify. Oh.....and use your brain, too! If it sounds or looks dangerous, it PROBABLY IS dangerous. Applies to woodworking and metalworking techniques also.

The life you save may be mine!

banger

runfiverun
06-09-2016, 12:37 PM
even if it don't look or sound dangerous it has a probability percentage of being so.
I think if I were gonna try to stuff 380grs of anything in a 7mm steyr case I'd switch to h-860

mdi
06-11-2016, 02:17 PM
FWIW and I recommend the same to new reloaders; I pay very little (no) attention to any load data from any forum expert, pet loads website, range rat, gun counter clerk, or gun shop guru. For over 30 years I've gotten 98% of my load data from published reloading manuals, with an occasional load from a powder manufacturer's web site. While some folks may just be trying to be helpful, it's much easier (and safer) to find data in a manual. I haven't run out of combinations of components yet...

jonp
06-18-2016, 08:50 PM
309gr in your 7mm Steyr sounds like a compressed load to me. I think you may experience some unburnt powder residue in your barrel but a magnum primer might clean that up a bit.

Shiloh
06-19-2016, 04:46 PM
It is easy to verify. Lots of sources.

SHiloh

Earlwb
06-19-2016, 11:12 PM
I also use more than one book of reloading data. I cross check between the books to ensure that it isn't a typo in the book I reference. I have not run into a typo so far, but you never know. Now granted you cannot always cross check data, but at least it is a good try for it.