PDA

View Full Version : Best Hollow Point mold for 300 Blackout subs

NATJAC
06-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Hi,
I'm looking to get a Hollow Point mold for 300 blackout Subsonic shooting (no suppressor, just something light to hunt deer with) and I'm looking for something that is accurate and has a very good/deep hollow point that will work in a gas gun.
I'm planning on 50/50 ISO-lead/Pure Lead for good expansion.
I have been looking at the 300-247-FN-RG4 (mfg: NOE) but want to know if that is a good option or do you have a better suggestion.
I'm not interested in doing soft points as I just don't have the time to fiddle that much.

500MAG
06-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Check out this group buy by MiHec. May be a year left before it comes out
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236225-MiHec-300-ACC-Blackout-2-or-4-Cavity-Brass-Cramer-HP-GC-or-PB
dont know if anything is going to come out with him being banned.

runfiverun
06-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Mihec isn't banned, just Bob.
Mihec is still cutting molds, but the wait is long.

dragon813gt
06-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Mihec isn't banned, just Bob.
Mihec is still cutting molds, but the wait is long.

Only for new rifle designs. Reruns of existing molds go quickly. Same thing w/ new pistol bullet designs. The 35cal DeCarli Wadcutter was run in very short order. Seems to be issues w/ long rifle bullets.

BK7saum
06-07-2016, 10:17 PM
I guess you are wanting to go with a plain base mold. If you wanted a few NOE 311247 gas checked boolits with deep hollowpoint, I'd send you some for cost of postage. I load them subsonic with hornady gas checks and shoot them suppressed. Alloy is range lead, I think I have air cooled and water dropped. Would have to check.

Brad

NATJAC
06-08-2016, 02:12 PM
I guess you are wanting to go with a plain base mold. If you wanted a few NOE 311247 gas checked boolits with deep hollowpoint, I'd send you some for cost of postage. I load them subsonic with hornady gas checks and shoot them suppressed. Alloy is range lead, I think I have air cooled and water dropped. Would have to check.

Brad
I am going to Powder Coat them, so does it matter if plain base or not?

NATJAC
06-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Check out this group buy by MiHec. May be a year left before it comes out
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236225-MiHec-300-ACC-Blackout-2-or-4-Cavity-Brass-Cramer-HP-GC-or-PB
dont know if anything is going to come out with him being banned.
Is it worth it to wait on HiHec? Or would the NOE version I posted above suffice? I am kind of needing to get this prior to deer season and will need additional time to work up loads.. etc.

BK7saum
06-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Probably not if they are subsonic. They should shoot acceptably.

NATJAC
06-08-2016, 02:19 PM
Thanks BK7saum! that is what I was thinking too.

BK7saum
06-08-2016, 02:20 PM
The only issue I can think of regarding powder coat is that the 247 noe mold is a bore rider. Powder coating may increase the nose diameter enough to impair chambering.

NATJAC
06-08-2016, 02:41 PM
The only issue I can think of regarding powder coat is that the 247 noe mold is a bore rider. Powder coating may increase the nose diameter enough to impair chambering.
I have used the 247 NOE's powder coated with no issues feeding.. they weren't the hollow point version though.

guywitha3006
06-08-2016, 03:41 PM

This...is something to think of. I think that is currently the cause of a lot of my frustrations right now. Beautiful bullet, but does not like to chamber. I am currently in the process of opening up a Lee sizer so I can attempt to nose size the portion in front of the bands post powder coat. I have been busy lately so it is currently on the back burner... who knew it took so much time to remove ~0.016" of a die.

dragon813gt
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM
This...is something to think of. I think that is currently the cause of a lot of my frustrations right now. Beautiful bullet, but does not like to chamber. I am currently in the process of opening up a Lee sizer so I can attempt to nose size the portion in front of the bands post powder coat. I have been busy lately so it is currently on the back burner... who knew it took so much time to remove ~0.016" of a die.

NOE makes a bushing based sizing system. They make ones specifically for nose sizing.

BK7saum
06-08-2016, 03:57 PM

Have you considered the nose sizer setup from Al at NOE?

guywitha3006
06-08-2016, 04:04 PM
Have you considered the nose sizer setup from Al at NOE?

I looked at them, but I figured it would be a lot easier to test my theory with a $15 lee die. Hopefully it will go quicker now, I picked up some diamond polishing paste, just need to find the time.