PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg lever action 472 series

thehangman59
06-07-2016, 03:32 PM
Could anybody give me a clue how to get apart a trigger housing on a 472 series Mossberg? I have searched about and the best I have found seems to skip the exact part that I am not able to figure out... Do you have to bite your lip just right? or am I missing something simple? And yes I am releasing pressure on the loading gate, making sure the hammer is not full cock and locked and any other obvious hang-up. I know-get a bigger hammer, but it is for friend so.. It will come up and forward and I have tried the bolt lock up and down still nada.

Mk42gunner
06-07-2016, 05:45 PM
Welcome aboard.

I have never taken one of those apart, I don't even remember ever holding on in my hands; but after looking at the IPB at Numrich I do have an few idea.

Try taking the bolt and lever out first, ala the Marlin. Then take the screws out from the bottom of the action.

If that doesn't work check back here, someone is bound to know the tricks of that action.

I would not try the moron method, (taking all screws and pins out then shaking).

Robert

thehangman59
06-08-2016, 02:13 AM
If you had ,you would understand. Although very similar, not quite the same. Something in the relationship with the bolt locking lug interfaces with the carrier/loading gate and the interior of the receiver housing, I have removed the lever, bolt, and housing screws and ejector already, just a little trick of some sort. To allow the assembly to come free. Thanks though, I am sure that someone will chime in on the matter and then I will feel silly for missing it. I am very familiar with Marlin and Winchester actions, just never seen one like this.

pietro
06-09-2016, 10:10 AM

Welcome to the forum !

As a Mossgerg disassembly/reassembly tutorial is in it, I would suggest you obtain a copy of this book:

The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly: Centerfire Rifles

pietro
06-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Umm I thought the idea of the forum was to share info, not sell it. I figured it out anyway. Thanks for the sales pitch though.

That wasn't a sales pitch - never previously owning or working on a Mossberg 472, a somewhat rarely-seen/obscure levergun, I was merely attempting to direct you to the next best way for you to find the answer you were seeking.

I would respectfully suggest that you get over yourself.................... hubris doesn't become a gun owner seeking help.

Dan Cash
06-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Guess I will go to reloading then, at least I learn something there. I don't mean to offend, but if I have to pay 9.95 for a tech man that tells everything, but nothing I will take a chance that somebody has run into the same issue, and sign up to a forum that I thought might have a legit offer to the problem. Sorry to bother you all.
You are surely full of your self and your sense of entitlement. All you are looking for is a freeby. Folks have given you their best no BS answer and you are offended. Perhaps you should ask your question at DU where you are among like minded people.

nekshot
06-10-2016, 09:54 PM
I remember a time when fellows on line here were respectful to one another except for a few dorks. I do hope you share your expierence with your gun so we all can learn. I always was liked them but saw few of them.

thehangman59
06-11-2016, 09:26 AM
I apologize to you all, no call for my bad manners. I lost my temper, It seems navigating the Internet is always about the sale of something. Its a good book and a good suggestion. Sorry pietro. I really do like and have learned a lot from Cast Boolits. I'll can the crappy outlook and not bother you all again.

nekshot
06-11-2016, 10:59 AM
No problem from me, I believe you have good input for us all. I know what you mean about getting frosted at times!

thehangman59
06-12-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the understanding, I am not known for my Social Skills, or not saying whats on my mind. That in mind I will be glad to share what I have learned. The 472 series of Mossberg was only made for a few years back in the 70's and sold under Mossberg as 472, but Store-marked by others. Like many other Mossbergs were. Mine is a Western Field 72 C, but New Haven,Western Auto, with Western Field by far carrying the most models. Although visually easily mistaken for a Marlin 336, there are some significant differences. Most notably, is the trigger housing and carrier assembly. With the vague instructions available ,Including a Owners manual that came up in a Google search,and a couple of U-Tube clips, the details are not quite there. The original, but not only problem this one had was, no interface between trigger and sear. hammer in full cock with the trigger just flopping in the housing. That in itself was a easy fix, but the entire rifle showed signs of extended neglect and a serious need of a good cleaning. After many hours(and I mean Very many hours) of hunting for any Information regarding it, I was able to come up with this. Mostly on my own, Start by removing the butt-plate and butt stock, this allows you to remove the main spring and it's housing. Drift the lever hinge pin out and remove lever. That allows the bolt to remove from rear, don't forget to capture the ejector. Just like a Marlin. Now the tricky part, after removing the trigger guard screws, the assembly may wiggle just a little, if you depress the loading gate( make sure the carrier is all the way down) it will start to move out of the receiver and stop, at this point turn the bottom up, Make sure the hammer is not resting on the sear notch(or rotating freely) you may have to release it manually. Using a non marring device, a nylon punch worked well for me, depress the bolt lock as far as possible push the entire assembly forward just a little it will allow the whole housing to move up a little further, Then if you, what seems like overspring the loading gate again, using the nylon punch for leverage between the trigger guard and the frame and wiggle some the front should come up a little more than the back. then some pressure forward and up and it should release, If not check the bolt lock, then make sure hammer has not cocked itself, and one last bit is the mainspring strut has to be at the very rear of its travel. Some reassembly hints, don't forget the hammer strut-long end to top is first, the loading gate is rather tricky as all the pins need to be centered to seat in the receiver, hammer unlocked, safety off,use your punch when the assembly seems to bottom out and depress the bolt lock again, remember that it will be just forward of the final resting place to place it in the right spot to allow it to pass the trigger housing, finally if you encounter resistance at the final stage the loading gate is likely the problem, it is finicky. I hope this is a little more on the helpful side.