PDA

View Full Version : Bible software

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Speaking of Bible study...

Have any of you tried Logos Bible Software? It is like buying time for those who seriously study the Bible or have to prepare messages. I know there are many people who like to pull out a book and sit with a cup of coffee. But this software allows you to have multiple books open at once and search references with the touch of a button. You can have thousands of books on your computer. I could continue to sings its praises, but there are Youtube videos that show it being used.

williamwaco
06-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Speaking of Bible study...

Have any of you tried Logos Bible Software? It is like buying time for those who seriously study the Bible or have to prepare messages. I know there are many people who like to pull out a book and sit with a cup of coffee. But this software allows you to have multiple books open at once and search references with the touch of a button. You can have thousands of books on your computer. I could continue to sings its praises, but there are Youtube videos that show it being used.

Don't know about the software you mention but there are many free Web sites that will do that for you.

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 11:07 AM
Don't know about the software you mention but there are many free Web sites that will do that for you.

Not like Logos I assure you. Logos gives you the option to have recognized authoritative resources. These include scholarly commentaries and other references that are not available free on the internet. The other plus is the way the engine works together to make study easy.

Les Staley
06-07-2016, 11:16 AM
JW.org

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 11:18 AM
JW.org

What was your point?

shooter2
06-07-2016, 11:22 AM
I am curious. I have an old package called "Bible Soft" that is no longer supported and only runs on Windows. I am now a dedicated MAC user.

Does it have the option of different editions? For example NIV, King James, etc. I think I had fifteen or twenty.

Can you search on a word or phrase? For example, "hold fast".

Can you save the searches to a file then print them, or copy them to word for printing?

Probably more questions, but those come to mind quickly.

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 12:09 PM
I am not sure how many translations of the Bible are available. I am guessing most of them with the exception of obscure ones (e.g., Rotherham is not available but Young's is).

You can search verses, topics, phrases and save searches and study set-ups.

Every reference interacts with each other. Say you are studying Genesis. You can have the Bible open and a commentary (or several other references open) which can be linked to scroll together. If you run across a word in English you don't know you can highlight the word and a dictionary opens to that word. If the commentary references a Hebrew word you can do the same thing, but a lexicon opens. If the commentary references another scripture verse or another commentary you have, you can click the reference and it will open.

I am not sure about printing. But I did use the software in college and did a lot of cut and pasting. It does your footnotes for you.

I just wanted to let people know something like this is available. It certainly is not for everyone. It is also not cheap. Different packages are available at different price levels. I think I have about $1,500 in mine. The engine is free and I am not sure if it comes with a Bible or other references to try out. But like I said, there are videos available which do better in showing its uses than I can describe off the top of my head.

Blackwater
06-07-2016, 12:52 PM
Wow, Ick! You had me very interested until that price came up! I'm afraid it's too rich for my blood, but were I still working, I'd probably get it. Glad others here may be able to avail themselves of it, though. I guess we can't have everything in life we really want?

bangerjim
06-07-2016, 12:55 PM
Numerous FREE apps in the iStore. And probably Droid too.

Making money off God's word is not new!!!!!! And not right. Don't pay for bible search/use software.

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Wow, Ick! You had me very interested until that price came up! I'm afraid it's too rich for my blood, but were I still working, I'd probably get it. Glad others here may be able to avail themselves of it, though. I guess we can't have everything in life we really want?

The engine is free. So if you just buy books you like one at a time it is the same price as buying a hard copy. But the function is better. Check out the Logos site and see.

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 01:19 PM

Making money off God's word is not new!!!!!! And not right. Don't pay for bible search/use software.

Maybe you are not understanding the concept. Logos offers real books you'd pay for if you bought them. These books are in electronic format and therefore have more functionality than a hard copy. The price for the electronic books is either the same as a hard copy or less.

Logos software has been around for a while now and are in no way shape or form ripping anyone off or fleecing God's people. They offer a product that is unique and useful for serious students. I'm sure it took the software developers, support staff, etc. countless hours developing this. Then there are the scholars, authors, translators and publishing houses that have worked to bring their references to market. To say they shouldn't make money is ridiculous. People who work get paid. I'm pretty sure pastors in most places get paid too, right? I'd even bet your own time is worth money, is it not?

The software is worth the money to me and other users. If it's not worth it to you, that's fine but you shouldn't claim it's a rip off without knowing the facts.

fiberoptik
06-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Agreed. Like free. Here's a great one. http://www.theword.net/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ickisrulz
06-07-2016, 01:31 PM
You people are killing me.

There is nothing free like what Logos software provides. Absolutely nothing. Use the free stuff if you want to and be happy. But don't suggest that something you know absolutely nothing about and have never used is as good as the free stuff available online. It is just not.

I was trying to point out a useful product that some might find helpful. I guess I learned something myself here.

jmort
06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
"Making money off God's word is not new!!!!!! And not right. Don't pay for bible search/use software."

"I was trying to point out a useful product that some might find helpful."

You see the problem, clueless individuals. Yes, making money off teaching the word of God goes all the way back to the Apostles. That there are free Apps misses the point. What I like about Logos is that it provides denomination based packages. Yes it cost $$$. For some it would be worthless as they could not appreciate it, and for others, it would be "meat" as opposed to "milk," and worth every penny.

Freightman
06-07-2016, 01:56 PM
www.e-sword.net free and good

WebMonkey
06-07-2016, 01:58 PM
I have the logos gold (it was a gift quite awhile back).
when I want to cross ref or refer to the original greek or hebrew, I find it very helpful.
I have the mobile app from the same publisher but don't use it much at all.

'monkey

bangerjim
06-07-2016, 07:57 PM
I use the KJV PRINTED word. I do not waste time trying to read the Bible on my iPhone!

The FREE packages I have are totally searchable and do everything I need if I want to look up some reference passage that pops up from time to time.

I guess I just cannot understand all the kerfuffle about Bible software on here. Use what you think you need and want to pay for. I still use the original "soft-bound" leather version!!!!!!!

banger

Preacher Jim
06-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I use many sources of study including H.E. W. Meyers alpha Greek commentary. Love the orginal lanquage. I also use all the Bible translations. I find the bible still the best source of explaining it's self.
The thing is you need to go in with an open mind not filtered with denomination or grandma's interpretation let the Holy Spirit guides you.

Les Staley
06-07-2016, 08:48 PM
Ickisrulz, there are six different translations of the Bible available in English for no charge on JW.Org. If any one is interested check it out. Also literally hundreds of other languages available for no charge.

Boaz
06-07-2016, 08:49 PM
I use many sources of study including H.E. W. Meyers alpha Greek commentary. Love the orginal lanquage. I also use all the Bible translations. I find the bible still the best source of explaining it's self.
The thing is you need to go in with an open mind not filtered with denomination or grandma's interpretation let the Holy Spirit guides you.

I agree , many things are accomplished by the reading . A group of people that see the same event will all tell a different story of it . Reading the word is personal and each receives a different meaning to themselves .

Blackwater
06-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Ick. I may have to try a few. Appreciate the reference.

glw
06-07-2016, 09:14 PM
Bible software can be a great tool, though it isn't for everyone. And there are different types of software depending upon what is needed.

I work full-time as a content developer for BibleWorks. This is a high-end professional software for Bible study. It is especially useful for working in Greek and Hebrew, though it has over 250 versions in over 40 languages. It doesn't have commentaries, but is designed to study the Bible, not develop a library. Other high-end (and more expensive) programs include Logos and Accordance. Professionals (pastors, students, missionaries, professors) would benefit from the high-end programs mentioned.

Other programs and websites that you might find useful, though not as high-end, include Wordsearch, e-Sword, Online Bible, Blue Letter Bible, Bible.org, Crosswire, and Bible Gateway. There are others, but this is a pretty good list.

Some people work better with printed materials. Bible software offers benefits include searches, copy and paste, etc. that can't be done using printed resources.

It is difficult to offer high-end software for free. The reason is that the company needs to pay employees, and Bible publishers usually require royalties for their versions. BibleWorks does not sell Bibles, but absorbs the royalty costs. Other software companies do some similar things, though still other programs charge for Bibles. No one likes the system, but it won't be changing any time soon for lots of reasons.

Glenn

500MAG
06-07-2016, 09:29 PM
If nobody "made money" off of Gods word I guess we would have to stick to the free KJV App on our iPhone. I had to buy my Bible

Traffer
06-08-2016, 12:23 AM
Logos used to be the Rolls Royce of Bible software. They had several packages and you could add on. I quit buying software for my computer because just about everything I use is available online now. (Except Thayers Lexicon which I still use in bound version) The last time I looked at Logos, (About perhaps 2002?) You could spend up to $4,000 on the entire package. Right now I am trying to get an older version of a decent software package from pre 2011. All of the Bible sites now use the NIV 2011 version. I love the 1984 NIV version but they are doing a good job of making it disappear. My opinion is that the 2011 version of NIV has been edited by Satan's minions. They totally ruined that version. Like liberal heathens edited it. So if you know of anyone who has an old copy of something decent with NIV 1984 who would sell it dirt cheap, (I'm talking like $10) please let me know.

bangerjim
06-08-2016, 12:36 AM
I spend money on guns, powder, primers, lead, and brass.......not bible software.....no matter how GOOD it is supposed to be.

jmort
06-08-2016, 01:01 AM
^^^ So what? Who cares?

jmort
06-08-2016, 01:05 AM
Good info glw.
Thank you

Pine Baron
06-08-2016, 08:27 AM
I spend money on guns, powder, primers, lead, and brass.......not bible software.....no matter how GOOD it is supposed to be.
Spend money on brass? :kidding:

ArrowJ
06-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Reading the word is personal and each receives a different meaning to themselves .

This statement taken at face value is patently false and quite dangerous. The most important rule of Bible interpretation: what it meant is what it means. You may get it wrong, I may get it wrong, but if we have different meanings they cannot both be right. Incidentally also true for all truth.

For instance, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." may mean, "I can jump over my house" to me, or "I can endure any hardship" to you. If the author, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, meant neither of those things both of us are wrong.

This sort of relativistic interpretation is where we get "name it and claim it" and countless one verse platitudes. Not to mention Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

Relativistic interpretation renders the Scripture powerless. If Christ did not bodily walk out of the grave the entire message is powerless. If I am free to decide when I read it that the Holy Spirit is telling me that the resurrection account is some sort of spiritual metaphor I am free to believe it and someone else is free to believe otherwise with both views being equally true...which is not possible.

In addition, if only some verses fall under the "what it means to me" banner there is another problem. Which verses? What if I decide it is deferent verses than you?

If I were reading a letter from my wife and decided she wanted a divorce when in point of fact she did not there would be problems. I am not free to tell her what she meant when she wrote it. Same principle.

Maybe I am reading too much into your statement?

As for Bible software, I used Logos in college. If it has not gone down in quality it is a powerful tool.

jmort
06-08-2016, 10:00 AM
^^^ You bring up some good points. There are a set of core beliefs that are not negotiable. Too many people want to make it up and reverse engineer The Word to suit their choices/desires. Many times the issue is not essential to one's salvation. You can spend a lifetime in study and you will never get to the bottom of The Bible, so to speak. Example, how many men were crucified with Jesus? Not critical to salvation, but worthy of consideration and a most interesting study:

http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/how-many-were-crucified-with-jesus

Ickisrulz
06-08-2016, 10:04 AM
This statement taken at face value is patently false and quite dangerous. The most important rule of Bible interpretation: what it meant is what it means. You may get it wrong, I may get it wrong, but if we have different meanings they cannot both be right. Incidentally also true for all truth.

For instance, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." may mean, "I can jump over my house" to me, or "I can endure any hardship" to you. If the author, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, meant neither of those things both of us are wrong.

This sort of relativistic interpretation is where we get "name it and claim it" and countless one verse platitudes. Not to mention Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

Relativistic interpretation renders the Scripture powerless. If Christ did not bodily walk out of the grave the entire message is powerless. If I am free to decide when I read it that the Holy Spirit is telling me that the resurrection account is some sort of spiritual metaphor I am free to believe it and someone else is free to believe otherwise with both views being equally true...which is not possible.

In addition, if only some verses fall under the "what it means to me" banner there is another problem. Which verses? What if I decide it is deferent verses than you?

If I were reading a letter from my wife and decided she wanted a divorce when in point of fact she did not there would be problems. I am not free to tell her what she meant when she wrote it. Same principle.

As for Bible software, I used Logos in college. If it has not gone down in quality it is a powerful tool.

A very good post.

claude
06-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Another thumbs up for E Sword.

glw
06-08-2016, 10:51 AM
You are welcome, jmort!

jmort
06-08-2016, 10:56 AM
^^^ I checked out BibleWorks and you are blessed to be associated with them from what I can see. Great tool for Christians.

Sensai
06-08-2016, 12:53 PM
First off, I'm not comparing software, just stating my experience. As a working stiff that likes to read his Bible as occasions arise, I like a bible program that I can use on my smartphone. It's not my primary Bible, but it does allow me to read when I'm not home, but have a few minutes. After trying a few applications, I settled on PocketBible by Laridian. It may not be the best, but it works well for me. If things are still the same as when I first got it, it's free at the App Store, and there are versions for Mac and Android, as well as iPhone. I think that either KJ or NKJ are free, and additional Bible versions, commentaries, maps, etc. are reasonably priced. Over the years I have accumulated a number of Bibles and am able to have several open at once for translation comparisons. I'm no Bible scholar, but I love the Lord and His Word. This application helps me stay close.

Traffer
06-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Thank You for that post. There are so many people now a days who take the liberty to "interpret" the Bible however they "feel" is right. I believe Satan preys upon such weak and gullible folk. "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"-Jer 17 and
English Standard Version (http://biblehub.com/esv/hebrews/4.htm) Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
And the most powerful Scripture about having a deep fearful reverence for God's word, (in my opinion) "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God." I believe that for the most part our generation has failed to understand two very important aspects of the spiritual realm: Submission and Fear. "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom" I believe that without this fear it is not really possible to submit to the Word of God in a way that will keep us safe from the temptation and manipulation of Satan. Remember Jesus in the desert. “‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”